Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:05 PM   #91
Administrator

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Well, I guess I've been extra extra lucky. Here are the reasons why I say that:

1)I never format my SD cards using the camera's formattingtool because I have many different camera brands and models and I interchange the cards between them as needed. So, I think if I use a card that has been formatted by Panasonic onmy Kodak camera,Ihave a much greater chance toexperience problems.I alwaysuse the PC to format my cards and never ever had a problem with any card on any camera (except the S2, of course). Fingers crossed!!!
Personally, I look at the the opposite way. If you don't reformat a card with the camera you're using it in switching them between cameras, you're more likely to have issues. ;-)

Steve agrees with that, too.

steve wrote:
Quote:
I'll echo Jim's comments and also say that it is always important to format a memory card in the camera it is going to be used in. Even if the card is brand new, use the camera's format option on it. Be careful when using a card reader not to use the Move or Formatcommand from the computer, just copy the files and thenuse the camera to delete or format the card.

Even if you use the same card in the same camera all the timeit is helpful to use the format command frequently - this allows the camera to map out possible bad sectors on the card and thus preventing future errors.

An unfortunate side effect of the lower pricing of today's memory cards also means that there isn't as much quality control as there used to be and I suspect we'll see a rise in card defects. When going on a vacation or the like it always pays to have extra memory cards and batteries, just in case they're needed.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...543815#p543815

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
4) Since I don't plug the camera into the computer and my card reader is always connected to the USB port, I don't need to worry about removing the hardware safely but I do agree it'sthe proper (and recommended)procedure to prevent possible data loss.
That's likely because the reader has "optimize for quick removal" turned on if you've never had a problem. Your Sandisk reader probably defaulted that way.

If it's not setup that way, removing a card from a reader can llead to a corrupted FAT, since Windows doesn't always flush the cache buffers with some drivers without using the "safely remove hardware" icon, even if you are leaving the reader plugged in.

If the buffers aren't flushed when you remove the card from a reader, it has the same effect as removing the reader or camera itself (cache buffers may not get written to media). Some drivers work better than others about writing cache buffers to media more often, too. ;-)

Quote:
2) I never replace the batteries beforethey aretotally dead. As a result, the camera always shuts down on me and again, my cards never got corrupted by that. Pure luck, I guess?!?
Probably. ;-)

The only timie in recent memory that I've ended up with a corrupted card was with a low battery (since I make sure to format the memory card using a camera's menus prior to every use). This camera's firmware was smart enough to flush buffers to media before it shuts down in most cases.

It's even smart enough to know that once it registered low enough voltage to perform a shutdown, even if it sees a slightly higher voltage level after turning the camera off and back on, not to let you try to continue taking photos.

But, I tried to "push it". I figured out that I could bypass the built in safeguard by removing and inserting the battery again and get one more shot each time and let it see enough voltage to take another shot. After about 3 more shots that way (removing and inserting the battery between shots when the camera would shut down after a shot), it finally ran out of juice.

It must not have finished writing to media the last time I last time I tried to get away with it). When I went to read the card, I got errors and needed to use an image recovery program (which got them all for me so nothing lost).

So, I wouldn't recommend that practice. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:38 PM   #92

Quote:
Personally, I look at the the opposite way. If you don't reformat a card with the camera you're using it in switching them between cameras, you're more likely to have issues. ;-)
That may be a true statement but I never had any issues, though. I switch different cards on different cameras all the time and they work just fine (again, maybe I've been luckysincemy camerasdon't complain about it).

Quote:
Even if the card is brand new, use the camera's format option on it.
I've never formatted a brand new card. I insert them into the camera as they come. Never had a problem.

I just wonder how many people out there do things the same way I do and whether they have problems with SD cards or not.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:55 PM   #93

Hello all frustarated "memory card error" people

I have IXUS400 / S400, it has had persistent memory card problem

I was scanning thru internet today and found following Canon page

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...p;modelid=8777

I have allready sent my camera to Canon Australia to be fixed

pekkaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:47 AM   #94

Thanks for the link, Pekkaant. Although I no longer have any Canon camera, I'm sure the information you provided is of great help to many Canon owners. Now all Canon has to do is provide the same support for the S2, which I believe has also a problem reading memory cards (no particular brand or size). Cheers.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:20 PM   #95

Hello. I just wanted to put my experience down as well.

I just purchased a SD450. I have used the supplied 16MB card to take a few pictues with no problems. I have also used a 512MB SanDisk card to take pictures with no problems.

I just received a 1GB card from Patriot today and when I put it in the camera, I get the dreaded "Memory Card Error" and "Card Locked" error. The lock tab on the card is NOT set to the locked position and the option to format it is blacked out.

I'm not sure what I can do here or who the fault lies with. I haven't seen any other SD450 owners with this problem.

I guess I will have to return this card and buy another card... but I don't know what will work or what won't work in my camera. I'm also a bit worried about losing my pictures because of this "bug" and have considered taking the camera back.

I'm not sure what to do here... any SD450 owners have this problem? Anyone with Patriot 1GB memory problems? This really sucks.
podpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:17 AM   #96

It seems to me that memory cards are becoming cheaper but at the same time, more and more unreliable. On top of that, some cameras appear to be moreprone to memory card errors than others (i.e. Canon S2). I've expressed my experience with memory cards on many threads in various forums and althoughI do not recommend following my footsteps, I must say that either I've been extremely lucky with my memory cards (and cameras for that matter), or I'm doing something right even though I'm going against all reasons because I never had problems with them (except with the S2). My suggestion is that you start by replacing the memory card first or if you have a second camera that uses the same type of card, try your Patriot card on it. Or, you can actually take the card to a camera shop, plug it into various display cameras and take shots to see what happens. I've also read many people stating that some cameras like certain cards better than others. Perhaps that's you situation. The only thing I would strongly recommend is that you don't force the issue, trying to use the card you are experiencing problems with no matter what. Eventually the camera will not be able to read the card and the data may get corrupted, resulting in lots of lost images.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:27 AM   #97

Another one to the pile (in case someone from Canon decides to find out how widerspread this issue is).

I too, have an S2 IS, that worked sweetly for 6 months and now can't take two pictures in a row, without the "memory card error". I am using a Corsair 1GB card (not yet mentioned, as far as I can see). The 16MB card works fine, as appears to the case for everyone else. I've done all the things mentioned in this thread (even the somewhat far fetched ones). I'm going on holidays soon and have to ponder my options, which I will do in the presence of which ever the Camera House sales assistant is unfortunate enough to handle my complaint. I don't want to junk or return the camera, as it is a good unit in every other respect. I could buy a couple of 256GB cards and cross fingers or perhaps I could demand that the internal battery be changed.

I did notice that there was quite a bit of Australian content in this thread, and I would be interested in any reports from those people, of "what happened when you took the camera back" or any other correspondence with Canon or the camera shop.

Hopefully this thread will contain some positive news, before too long

Dave
intrinicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:02 PM   #98

Hi Dave, the S2 memory card error has been an ongoing issue for a while. Some "lucky" S2 owners have come up with many "possibilities" except thatperhaps as far as the S2 is concerned, the real possibility is camera failure. I'm not sure the time frame you've beenusing the camerahas much to do with it. I am pretty sure that card brands are not the problem. One of the cards I used to get errors with my S2 is an EP 1 Gb fast card which works flawlessly with my Pana FZ20. It seems to me that when you use a 1Gb card (or larger), the S2 starts to complain once you go over 512 Mb (please note that this is my observation, notnecessarily a fact). So, you may be OK with several 256 Mb cards as opposed to a 1 or 2 Gb card (or even a 512 Mb for that matter). In any case, since you are keeping the camera (I sold mine), I wish you good luck!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:22 PM   #99

I just received my camera back, we will see in coming weeks if memory card error has been fixed. At least few photos I have taken it seems to be ok, but it was intermitten fault so time will tell. (camera is 3.5 years old)

All work was done without charge by Canon and took exactly one month.

Work completed listed on the service report:

Dismantled unit, supplied & fitted listed part (CY1-6544-000 FPC ASS'Y, CF), adjusted as required, reassembled, cleaned, checked & tested.
Due to the age and condition of the unit, no charge repair to apply.

Posted: 18-07-2006 02:25 pm Hello all frustarated "memory card error" people

I have IXUS400 / S400, it has had persistent memory card problem

I was scanning thru internet today and found following Canon page

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...p;modelid=8777

I have allready sent my camera to Canon Australia to be fixed

pekkaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:13 AM   #100

i have tried removing and reinstallingthe small internal battery but have had no joy. currently looking for a replacement in case that battery is now dead.

All memory cards i try show up as memory card error.

anyone had the same problem?

Cheers
d903qt is offline   Reply With Quote