Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:19 PM   #101

My A95 paperweight has the same problem. Every CF card I tried in the camera came back with the memory card error. Tried formating in the camera, didn't help. Also tried with new/never used CF cards, same error. Even the Canon CF card included with it gives the error.

While time has gone by and I'm using an (older) Sony cybershot camera, I am now looking for a newer camera- guess what brand is totally off the look at list? Canon has disappointed me with the way they handled things and in fact with the poor workmanship on this camera. I can't speak for other models as I won't ever buy another Canon camera. I should have taken the hint when a Canon printer I owned pretty much blew up (ink wise) and they told me it must be something I did. Sometimes lessons learned twice stick better I guess.
Qutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:28 PM   #102
Administrator

Qutie wrote:
Quote:
My A95 paperweight has the same problem. Every CF card I tried in the camera came back with the memory card error. Tried formating in the camera, didn't help. Also tried with new/never used CF cards, same error. Even the Canon CF card included with it gives the error.
Make sure you didn't bend a pin in the Card Slot.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:21 AM   #103

Sony's and Panasonic's are very reliable when it comes to memory cards. I have both brands and never had a problem related to memory card error. I'd stay away from the S2 for sure. It seem like the S3 is doing better on this area (at least I haven't read many complaints about it. But, this is a new camera so I guess time will tell!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:35 PM   #104

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Qutie wrote:
Quote:
Make sure you didn't bend a pin in the Card Slot.
I took a look at everything yesterday after finding this topic.... just in case, sitting in it's box made some magical transformation occur and it would suddenly work again! well. No magic here, sadly. I checked the cards again, they seemed fine. I checked the pins, I didn't See any bent or missing pins, put a card in, and got the error.

Tried formatting the card, on the Canon card, it would "act" like it was formatting... but stop halfway through and shut off the camera :shock: This happened maybe 3 different times, other times, the camera locked up and I had to either remove the batteries to shut it off or wait for it to turn off on its own. BTW, it reads the Canon card properly at 32megs.

Tried 2 other cards, no go. Same issues as above, minus the accurate reading of the card size. A 256meg card and a 512meg card were both being seen as 3.32megs (or thereabouts). The camera did try formating the 256meg, but it only went about 3 seconds before it shut off, then shut down the camera. (again,trying to format the 256meg card At 3.32megs)

In the beginning, each of the cards would allow for the taking of a photo before erroring out, but none of then actually Had a photo or file on them.
Qutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:28 AM   #105

I've had the "memory card error" on my 1 month old Canon a530. The first time it happened was just after I formatted the memory. After I restarted, it worked fine.

I've had some images corrupted, but I was able to save the remaining photos without a problem onto my pc. Is there a way to fix this? It seems to be a plague among canon digital cameras... :sad:

Alex
alexb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:55 PM   #106

Trip333 wrote:
Quote:
I bought the S2 IS yesterday, put in my Transcend 45x 1GB SD card, took some pictures and a movie, no apparent problems. Later turned it back on and I get "Memory Card Error" on the screen. Reformatted (low-level). works again. Took some pictures, turned it off, same problem.

So I wrote to Canon about it. I mentioned that many people seemed to have this problem and it appears to happen to many different types of SD cards, including SanDisk. They responded only a few hours later.

Canon's Reply about this Issue:
Thank you for writing to us. We value you as a Canon customer and
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

This is quite normal. Whenever SD card errors appear, formatting will typically resolve the issue.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please feel free to contact
us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you for choosing Canon.
Sincerely,
Anthony, Technical Support Representative
Well now... it seems they do recognize this, but apparently they consider this to be normal! It's really a shame because the movie quality on this thing is amazing, and the photo quality good. I really like this camera so far but this problem is rediculous. How can you trust your camera to capture once-in-a-lifetime moments with a problem like this?

For those of you who say you have never had any problems: What SD card have you been using exactly? Model? size? type? speed? Perhaps there are some SD cards out there were this isn't a problem

OH man there are like 10 pages of replies. I'm not going to sift throught all of them. I thankfully have not encountered this issue yet and I hope not to (knock on wood *knock knock on my desk*) . I thouhgt I'd share my setup and enviroment into the collective analysis.

I own a Canon S2-IS and have put around 3000 shots on it right now. I bought it new in Dec./05 and mainly used heavily covering two conventions. I use 2 x Sandisk Ultra II 1 gig SD cards and the default factory issue 16mb card that came with the camera. I am in Toronto so we see 4 seasons and have our share of the bitter canadian famous arctic cold winters and just this peak summer our share of close to the temps of the Mojave desert in the USA (we peaked at 48C with humidex). I have never used alkaline batteries in the camera but have used the following sets of AA batteries: 20 x 1100 mAh green generic (came with the Isun solar charger), 20 x Energizer 1850 mAh, Ultra ( http://www.tigerdirect.ca - Search Ultra AA ) 2500 mAh house brand, and Duracell 2500 mAh. I always low-format my memory cards in the S2after I've securely offloaded the data.

I have shot single, continous, video record, and slow shutter. I have also filled the cards up numberous times. My coldest temp would have to be -30C - -34C windchill (that's about 0F for you south of the 49th parallel :-)which was dang cold) in Dec./05 and my hotest would have to be in May/06.

I'll only concentrate on my heavy shooting times as that is IMHO when things are most critical. For the convention I covered in May/06 the temp was ~24C - 27C (approx. 29C with humidex). It was bright, sunny and hot. I only shot outside for about an hour. All my other shooting was done inside the hotel and convention area which I would probably say was around 18C with A/Cwith all the people in there the thermo went up some. I filled up all my SD cards over and over again about 3-4 times during the weekend. Not a problem at all. The burst shots on the Sandisk came out sounding around the same FPS as my Nikon F-801 on C mode (approx. 3.0 FPS) even tho the S2's specs said 2.4 FPS.

My lastest convention I covered last weekend Sept 1/2005 was shot all indoors with the same setup, cards, and batteries. The temp outside was ~18C - 24C with Sat-Sun being wet as Ernesto the hurricanes reminence (sp?) was passing T.O we got light to mild rain. Inside the convention area the temp was approx. ~18C tho probably a degree lower as we're in the basement. Once again I did the video, burst shots, etc and checking replay/shots almost after each shot and no problems with the SD cards.

Originally when I purchased the camera and decided to get a 1 gig SD card I got my info on http://www.dpreview.comafter reading the S2 review and the card they used which was the Sandisk Ultra II 1 gig which BTW comes with a lifetime warranty. Yes I know lifetime means jack when you lose that once in a lifetime shot but still it's there if you need it.

Oh suggestion I can think of to anyone with this issue. I've only read a few pages of this issue so far on this forum but I would ask those who've had the camera for a while or perhaps new how often they took the SD card out. I would check on the cotact pins if there is lots of wear and tear which could possibilely (sp?) contribute to a lose contact causing a broken circuit (or circle loop if you may. Think of a light bulb, 2 wires, and a battery is what I'm getting at.). Just a thought there. My previous digicam was a Sony P7 (my first digicam) and I did get cronic "format errors" in the recent 2 yrs. It was heavily used at conventions and used lightly ( say 10-20 shots) every few days. I noticed the contact pins on the memory started getting worn being from all the in/outs.

Perhaps it may be a good idea to buy a new memory stick once a year just to be safe? Like sell the old or use it for a PDA/GPS/etc. and use a new stick of memory to be on the safe side. I have read on different SD cards may not be made ot the SD standard and I know Kingston back in the days of PC memory so it's not like they're new name. Sandisk I've heard of since Christ was a cowboy in the flash memory business which is why I leaned more on them and also because of the card used in the review. There are many different companies out there with flash memory cards. I don't know enough of the SD standard or how the SD cards are made but I would stick to the big names just to be safe. Any other no name or unknown name SD card I'd use that for oh.. holding games or something for the PDA where it's not as critical.

Hope that helps some. Then again it could be the camera but I don't know I've never had the issue. If anyone else needs input that I've experienced I'd be glad to help.

Zero_Enigma

*edit 1*

I've not seen any issues when my camera low battery indicator was flashing. Heck was able to still use the flash a few times then (mid strength flash) and all the data was saved ok. I tend to always change my batteries at the first sign of the low battery signal and when it came to formatting the SD card I made sure I took out the low batteries and put in fresh charged ones to cut down my variables. No issues there.

*edit 2*

I mainly use my S2 for conventions and the occasional outting so I don't really use the S2 too much as I mainly carry my Sony P7 due to the size and lower profile. The S2 probably only gets about one month of use a year I would peg it at right now unless something comes up.

On the -30C - -34C temp shots I did not experience any lock ups on the camera other then the batteries which were fully charged (I used the 1850's then as I did not have any 2500's till after March/06) before use but only got about less then 10 mins of shooting off them before they completely shut down the camera asking for new batteries.
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 7:33 PM   #107

You are one VERY LUCKY dude!!! Yes, you should keep your fingers crossed and knock on wood.

Amazon has the S3 now for $349 w/ free shipping. Obviously Canon over-priced the camera big time. I haven't seen very many complaints from S3 users so perhaps Canon has fixed the problem.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:58 AM   #108

I bought my S2 IS about a month ago. I purchased a Transcend 150x 2GB card and I too got the "memory error" that every one is talking about. Unfortuantely, I did not know about this issue until after I found these posting, which I came across in the day after I found the error. I literally had a hart attack, as after spending all that money, my camera would not work except with a crappy 128mb card and the 16mb card that came with it. Fortuantely for me, Transcend has a very liberal lifetime warranty and I was able to exchange the card for a new one. Even more fortunately for me (after finding this forum), the new card continues to work great. I have taken 5 videos and about 300 or 400 pictures. However, based on what is on this site, I will continue counting my blessings and praying it was a bad card and not the camera. Best of luck to all of you.
jlonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 1:07 PM   #109

My suggestion? Return the S2, if you still can. I have serious doubts that the memory card error on the S2 is card related. People reported this problem with various card brands and sizes (including myself when I had the S2). The S3 appears to be more stable with that respect (at least I haven't read many complaints about it)and Amazon sells it for $349 w/ free s/h. It's a great deal!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:33 PM   #110

Hello, all... using a Powershot A610 I got this "Memory Card Error" business froma (cheapo) 1GB pqi card... which seems to be fixed (so far?) by stopping the formatting process halfway.

Anyway, long story short: when nothing hadworked to reformat the card (WinXP, cardreader,FAT,in-camera A610, in-camera with other digicam, etc,etc) I eventually (out of curious exasperation, I think)put the card back into the A610, started the format processes and THEN CANCELLED IT HALFWAY!! ...Now this changed something, because all of a sudden the camera started recognising the capacity of the card. Previously, the camera would show a ("help! I'm baffled")blank where the size of the card would display in the menus.

So, then I tried formatting it again like normal(in-camera, naturally) and IT WORKED. :?Now this may have been a fluke and it may break down again, but at least it's a bit of hope that the thing might have some possibility of recovery... time will tell... ;-)

Obviously, you lose what was on the card(try recovery software first for that!!)... but maybe the card will work. Hope that helps someone :-)

OceanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote