Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:12 PM   #111

Hello, This is my first post, and I've been reading through the plethora of messages about MEMORY CARD ERRORS. We've just experienced this with our Canon A95, and when I did a search, this website came up. Was I glad to see I wasn't alone! I've had the A95 almost 2 years (actually, I went 6 months till I realized I had bought a LEMON and that it wasn't MEand got it replaced by the company I bought it from, only to find a broken battery door, which Canon repaired at N/C), with good results. The other day my husband took some pictures and went to download them with a card reader, using Zoombrowser (or maybe Canon software). I think the message he got was "Camera not found", and then when he looked on the camera he saw the "Memory Card Error" message:?. Our card is a PQI 256 mb one.

The pins in the camera aren't bent, but it does look like one is on the card reader. Can the reader corrupt the card? (This is probably a long shot, but the pins on the Wal-Mart machine are often bent, and sometimes even using a converter I end up not being able to use the machine).

Though risking possible repetition, may I ask how do I recover pictures (and do I need to do this before I re-format, as I noticed was suggested?). Also, is there any recovery software offered out there that might possibly be free?:-D I don't want to re-format the camera if I am supposed to try and recover the photos first. We had a beautiful one of a cecropia moth caterpillar that we found while camping!:lol:

I still feel like an amateur in the digital realm. If someone can recommend a good CF card in case I need to replace mine, it would be appreciated. Also note that our batteries are freshly charged Powerex, and the card reader is a no-name brand.

I should also mention that our 32mb Canon card that came with the camera is fine.

Oh,I just read the manual and it said re-formatting erases all images. But I DO still want to know if I can recovermy pictures, and also how to avoid this happening again.

Thanks!

michelegrgry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:35 PM   #112

Hi, I have Canon PowerShot A400 and I have problem with memory card(s).I used Canon 16mb for a long time, eventually I used 512 or 1Gb Kingstone or other. That works fine since yesterday. I put 1Gb TakeMS and I get message No memory card, then i put back 16mb Canon works fine. In the morninig I put other 512 Kingstone same error, i put back 16mb same error. Since then i can't get my camera working with any card. I check all cards in my card reader, and they works. What can I do with my camera? Is there any way to reflesh bios or get a service manual to open it?
gromovnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:56 AM   #113

My three month old S3 (using 1Gb Ridata card) is also giving me the "Memory Card Error".

Rowe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:34 PM   #114

I've been following this thread for a while now. I'm sorry Canon fans, but I think Canon cameras are at fault here. I don't see this memory card errorissue on any other forum but here (and I check the Pentax and Panasonic forums on a regular basis). I was very close to buyingthe S3. Glad I didn't.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:38 PM   #115

My boyfried just got a Canon SD600 piece of garbage!!! His best friend lost his canon S400, which was problem free and replaced it with the SD600 thinking it was a nice looking camera. Well, it might look nice, but it sucks. The camera is 3 weeks old and we have been cursed with the memory card error message. We took the camera on vacation for 2 weeks (the camera was purchase like 3 days before we left). The camera was perfect the entire time, until the last night of our vacation when we got the error message. We assumed it was the card because the users manual for the camera defines this error message as a "memory card anomoly". Well, when I started doing research on the net I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the card, but with the camera. Of course Canon is going to blame the card to save their butts from thousands of lawsuits. From the number of people who have had this problem in so many models of Canon cameras, there are not that many deffective cards!!! I know people have said this message comes up when the battery is low, but the battery was fully charged. We took over 400 photos, so now we are going to pray that some of them can still be retrieved on a USB reader. My advice, stay far far away from Canon. Thank god I own a Nikon, it's an amazing little thing!!
TiffanyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:26 PM   #116

Okay, so has anyone had any positive responses from Canon? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:04 PM   #117

michelegrgry wrote:
Quote:
Okay, so has anyone had any positive responses from Canon? I sent them an email but haven't heard back.

Thanks.
Howdy

I have Four canon cameras

F1 (over 30years old)
IXUS400 / S400 (3.5 years)
Pro1 (3 Years)
IXUS800IS / SD700IS (2 months)

IXUS400 / S400 had a memory error and I sent (18 July 06) it to Canon Australia after reading the following recall, I rang Canon service line and they asked to sent it in with the copy of the recall page.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...p;modelid=8777

Camera was returned (18 Aug 06) free of charge after one month and has been ok since then.

My other canon cameras have not have memory error.

I was lucky to have problem rise after Canon had acknowledged memory problem with the IXUS400 / S400 and get it fixed so easily.

As you can see I still trusted Canon with my latest purchase IXUS800IS / SD700IS, hopefully my trust is not broken, after using Canon cameras 30 years.

Regards

Pekka
pekkaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:44 PM   #118

michelegrgry wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Well, I had some feedback from Canon Canada, but it wasn't neccessarily positive. They actually sent me quite a lengthy e-mail. They denied any knowledge of the this memory card error problem, specifically in the SD600. They said they were responding to any problems on a case by case basis. In the end, they still continue to blame the memory card. They suggested to use the memory card supplied with the camera, umm, there was no card supplied with the camera, one had to be purchased! When I e-mailed Canon, I had mentioned I had done some research online and that this seems to be a widespread problem throughout Canon cameras. They responded to this comment by saying that the information found on message boards isn't accurate....so, does that mean we are all imagining these problems?! Anyway, the only positive information in my e-mail from Canon was that they suggest I find software or a card reader to try and retrieve our pictures. They also want to hear back from me to see if we continue to have this problem with the "supplied" card that wasn't actually supplied!! The only feedback I have for Canon is that if/when our photos are recovered, the camera is going back to Future Shop and will be replaced with a NON Canon product!!
TiffanyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 8:38 AM   #119

Would you believe....?:shock: This morning I went to take a picture of my daughter on her 17th birthday and when I looked at the LCD monitor, it was grey, with the display items, but I couldn't see anything! Then the screen went black. I tried turning the camera on & off, switching to the other card (which is still dead with a memory card error message), then back to this card (a Canon 32mb), but same thing.I can take a picture looking through the viewfinder, and it shows up on the screen for a couple of seconds, then disappears. Then I can view the picture. But the screen when trying to take pictures is gray with display images, then goes black again.

Any ideas?:sad:

I plan to contact Canon again, as I still haven't heard back from them.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!:?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:10 PM   #120

Hello again, :?

Notice the sheepish look? I wanted to follow up on my previous posts. Today I called Canon Tech support regarding my memory card error and the supposed blank screen. The blank screen, I was told was not normal (though he did mention that the display function had 3 modes)andI was told that the error could be due to several things - the card reader, pins bent, card getting hot or near magnetic source... I really don't know if it was any of these things, but I was told I could send it in for repair (which would run $97 incl. shipping), or upgrade to an A610 for $125 (factory refurbished). I really don't have the money for either right now, so I was rather disappointed. I decided to look at my camera again, and would you know :OI just had to push the display button to get it in the right mode. Whew! Was I glad that's all it was.

Then I decided to just go ahead and re-format my card, even tho' I might risk never being able to retrieve my photos. Voila! The card works fine again. I am now going to try downloading 3 pictures I took, to see if my card reader will do it right this time (it works with my Canon 32mb card), and I'm currently downloading freeware I found called Zero Assumption Digital Recovery. (I also found a few others, on a website called greenspun.com.)

If need be I'll update this post, should I find out anything else interesting.

Thanks to all who responded!:G