Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:16 PM   #121

Just put my card & card reader in the USB port, and had no problems viewing 3 photos on card. Put the card back in camera, and it was fine. Still don't know why I lost all my photos and had memory card error last time!:?
michelegrgry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 6:53 PM   #122

One last update - I found a free recovery software called Zero Assumption Digital Recovery (www.z-a-recovery.com) and was able to recover some of my photos, including the beloved cecropia moth caterpillar! I'm satisfied. My card works now, the camera takes pictures, I've easily gotten back some photos off of a re-formatted card (some of the photos tho' were scrambled) and now I know what to do in the future, should this problem recur. And it didn't cost me a cent(just a bit of time)!:-)

I'm thankful for the internet searches I did, which helped me track down the issues and find resolution (pun intended). Thanks, all!:love:
michelegrgry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:00 AM   #123

Try the low-level format outside the camera, I used :

http://hddguru.com/content/en/softwa...l-Format-Tool/

and worked great

[code]
cornel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:32 AM   #124

Hi everybody.

I have a Canon A510 and getting classical "Memory Card Error" messages for SD cards from different manufacturers (Sandisk, pq1,nx,..etc).

First I tried to find a firmware update but it seems that no update available for a510.

Then I tried ;

-full powered batteries
-different sd cards having different sizes 16MB - 32MB - 256MB - 512MB (including original 32MB sd card)
-Format/Quick Format with a card reader/writer
-Low level format (by software from hddguru) and then Format with card reader/writer

But none of the above sloves the problem so i tried to clean up the sd card slot in the camera by using serviette & cologne & toothpick , then eveything goes fine. No more memory card errors
It worked for all sd cards I have mentioned

Note: Please do not use to much cologne, take off the batteries before the operation.
In addition don't break sd card pins, they are to fragile.

I hope this help you.
Best regards from Turkey.

tanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 4:29 PM   #125

Hi

I have A400 powershot canon and have same message 'Memory Card Error' both with 16 MB SD and 1 GB SD. Has anybody found any solution? Or any suggestion or help?

Thank you in advance.

:?
gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:50 PM   #126

Howdy all, I have a Powershot A520 and got the Memory Card Error yesterday after taking almost 200 pictures at a baby shower.. I was very very disappointed because I've had the camera for a few years now with the same memory card (512mb SanDisk) and have had no issues at all. Ne who It's like the memory card is fried or something, My Camera doesn't recognize it, it wont let me format it and my computer doesn't recognize it either, so non of the formating works. Not really sure what to do.. I'm hoping it's just the memory card crapping out and not the camera. I'm going to try and buy a new card today and see how that works out. I've gone through most of the posts and really haven't found anything that might help save my Pictures (If there's even still hope) I did see something about replacing the internal BIOS battery or something.. Would anyone know how to do that (or point me in the right direction) on the Powershot A520?? Thanks!

**Update**

I bought a 1gb Toshiba SD Card at OfficeMax today for $17.99(no rebates) so I'm using that right now and it's working fine so far.. Just wish I could get the pictures off of my 512 card. :G
DeadPlasmaCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:10 PM   #127

Using S2 IS I got memory card error on Kingston 512 MB card, but switched to sandisk Ultra II 2 GB and haven't had a single problem in 6 months owning it.

Is this right place for this comment? When you get memory card full error, no matter how many photos you delete no more photos will be saved until the whole card is emptied? New? Old?

Thanks in advance.
plasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:12 AM   #128

Ialso have a Canon S3 IS and a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB card. I have owned it for less than one week. Using a card reader I uploaded a few experimental photos onto my PC using Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition. At the end of this process Photoshop Album removed the photos from the card. When I next went to use the camera I had the dreaded "memory card error". I have tried to Low level Format the card in the camera. I have tried to format it on the PC with the card reader. I have tried to format it using Panasonic's SD Formatter V2.0.

None of these efforts have been successful. Canon'swebsite is absolutely dumb on this issue.

It seems many people have this problemin one form or another with varying hardware configurations. What is the common feature? Is it Canon's firmware or the SD format? I notice in other forums problems with SD cards in other devices.

Any ideas?
thommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:10 PM   #129

cornel wrote: [quote]Try the low-level format outside the camera, I used :

http://hddguru.com/content/en/softwa...l-Format-Tool/

and worked great

[code]

Not all persons reading this thread have a visual impairment ....... normal text is acceptable!!
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 4:49 PM   #130

Memory Card Error: Can come up for a number of reasons, however, most issues raised above are related to a problem with memory cards of 512 MB or greater.

Several Canon models (including the SD series) appear not to be capable of recognising more than 256 MB of memory. Cards of 512 MB or greater will work fine with the camera until the user takes more than 256 MB worth of photos (e.g. 80-100 photos). At that point the camera will produce the famous "Memory Card Error" message!

CANON: Can we have a firmware update please??? Supporting just 256 MB of SD storage simply does not cut it!
JJLee is offline   Reply With Quote