Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:41 AM   #11

the Sandisk SD had so long ordertime that I found a Silicon Power 66x branded card in my local store, and I've taken about 500megs of pictures/video with it and NO problems so far
And it's a little bit faster than the kingston...

http://gvoima.ath.cx/shared/SD/SD.jpg
here's a pic

and it has lifetime warranty!

[EDIT]
I'm gonna buy another one of those too
And bought new rechargeable batteries too, 2450mAh and it included a charger that can be used also in a cars 12V plug! "GP PowerBank" named... www.gpbatteries.com.hk
[/EDIT]
gvoima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 1:28 PM   #12

Praise the looordahh \o/
card full and no problems whatsoever...
I must go and purchase two more of these Silicon Power SDs.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 10:27 AM   #13

jeffbarr, thanks for the warning. I didn't update the firmware on my camera.

Instead, I went back to the store and replaced the memory card. The camera is now working fine. I lost some pictures from Holland and Las Vegas, but hey, those pictures probably never should have been stored anyway!

Walking myself through the previous error, I remember that my battery was nearly dead prior to the memory card error. I have read throughout the Internet that the memory error could be very related to the battery.

I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the low battery life is related to the error. Therefore, I would suggest to everyone that they attempt to the keep their batteries near full-charge as possible. If you get the warning indicator, RUN, DON'T WALK to the nearest outlet.

I hope that's helpful.

-k
kaumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:33 AM   #14

kaumil wrote:
Quote:
jeffbarr, thanks for the warning. I didn't update the firmware on my camera.

Instead, I went back to the store and replaced the memory card. The camera is now working fine. I lost some pictures from Holland and Las Vegas, but hey, those pictures probably never should have been stored anyway!

Walking myself through the previous error, I remember that my battery was nearly dead prior to the memory card error. I have read throughout the Internet that the memory error could be very related to the battery.

I suspect, although I don't know for sure, that the low battery life is related to the error. Therefore, I would suggest to everyone that they attempt to the keep their batteries near full-charge as possible. If you get the warning indicator, RUN, DON'T WALK to the nearest outlet.

I hope that's helpful.

-k
Well, I suspect that the card was just bad. The way how the camera follows the battery lvl makes sure that it doesn't affect the performance in any possible way.
So don't bother yourself of the batteries, it tells you when they need to be replaced.

And I wouldn't even accept the way that I must check the batteries all the time that they are full, that is the cameras job.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 3:32 PM   #15

Hi everybody!

Same problem here "Memory Card Error" on a Canon S2 IS.

I bought my S2 yesterday in Sweden. The included 16 Mb memory works fine, but today I bought a 1Gb Twinmos Ultra and when I turn the camera on I get the memory card error. If I start it in viewmode it says "Memory Card Error" and below "card locked"?

Aparrently there seems to bea problem with other cards than the Kingstons, could it be a camera flaw?

Im sure thatthe problem isnot battery related since I have 4 newly recharged NIMH 2500 mAh in it.

I called the store where I bought the memoryright awayand they saidI can get a new card, but since they only have Twinmos memory it feels unsafe.Hope it's not a camera malfunction that would bebad news.

Anybody else who got a clue?

Regards from Håkanin Sweden
who is stuck with a 16 Mb over the whole Midsummer weekend
Hawkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:17 PM   #16

Hawkan, I am having the same issue as well. I bought an "A-Data 512 MB" SD card and I get the same error message of "Memory Card Error" "Card Locked". The card'stab is notin the locked position. The 16 MB card works fine.

I am pissed.

Hawkan wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody!

Same problem here "Memory Card Error" on a Canon S2 IS.

I bought my S2 yesterday in Sweden. The included 16 Mb memory works fine, but today I bought a 1Gb Twinmos Ultra and when I turn the camera on I get the memory card error. If I start it in viewmode it says "Memory Card Error" and below "card locked"?

Aparrently there seems to bea problem with other cards than the Kingstons, could it be a camera flaw?

Im sure thatthe problem isnot battery related since I have 4 newly recharged NIMH 2500 mAh in it.

I called the store where I bought the memoryright awayand they saidI can get a new card, but since they only have Twinmos memory it feels unsafe.Hope it's not a camera malfunction that would beit's bad news.

Anybody else who got a clue?

Regards from Håkanin Sweden
who is stuck with a 16 Mb over the whole Midsummer weekend
jasonmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:19 PM   #17

I'll have to add my sad tale to this topic. I just got the Canon Powershot S2 with the SanDisk Ultra II 1.0 GB card and after a couple of days of use the memory card now displays the "Memory Card Error" message. I called SanDisk and they said I should return the card and get a new one. I don't mind so much that it happens, but I would really hate to be on a trip and have the card lock up on me. Not to mention I have to purchase an external card reader so I can retreive any photos on the card when it happens. How long does it usually take for Canon to release firmware patches when a problem like this is found? Also, has anyone called Canon yet and what did they say?
cruddybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:03 PM   #18

One case more here. I bought my Powershot S2 from Finland and took a Kingston Elite Pro (50x) 1Gb memory card for it. Occationally camera gives me memory card error and refuses to do anything for the card.

I can make it work again by using card reader. I upload images & videos to computer and delete all files from memory card. Then it works a day or two fine.

It's very frustrating. We have a 3 week trip to europe coming and i have no time to get solution to the problem. :sad:

I think the problem is in software of S2, not in the memory card. I'll contact national canon support tomorrow. Hopefully they could even confirm where the problem is.
pellari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:13 AM   #19

Somebody online who was talking about the Canon 2S IS said he was using the SanDisk Extreme III 1gb card with no problems, so that's what I bought. I'm taking the camera on vacation for a few weeks so will find out whether or not it truly works. Let's hope so.

:O
Gothamgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:51 AM   #20

First off all I would like to say, that I have similar problems - Klingston Elite Pro 1GB and canon S2. It happens 2 times and in both cases batteries was almost empty - so perhaps batteries are one of the problems.
As I read about this problem on this and other forums I see that in majority this problem occured at 1 Gb cards. So maybe this big cards are problem.
Does anybody have problems with cards less than 1GB?

GoUp is offline   Reply With Quote