Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 25, 2005, 7:51 PM   #41

Bought the Canon S1 over 2 years ago, in 2003, and have taken 1000s of pictures with it, with a Sandisk 512Mb, Sandisk 128Mb and the Canon 32Mb I got with it.

Brand new batteries were put in it.

Every time we go to take a picture it has a "memory card error".

If we hold the play button for a few seconds, it seems to recall some of the pictures, but it seems to have an artificial memory of 22 pictures only. Also, given the memory card error, I tried different things, including:

1. erasing all pics to start over...no use

2.formatting card...no use.

I noticed between the different cards, when I switched out the 512 for the 32Mb, it read the 32 Mb as having some 448Mb of memory which sounds closer to the 512Mb.

When I brought it home to download some of the pics, just using the USB card, it said it didn't have any pictures...gofigure...but if I did that thing again where I pushed the play button for a few seconds, holding it, then it brought up the stuff on the display, then I plugged the USB in "hot" and Windows did the "Do you want to download these pictures?" thingy.

Sometimes, it didn't work ( I had pics on all 3 cards ) so I had to eject the card and put it back in a few times to get it to work.

Being that this is happening with 3 different cards, I would say CARDS are not the problem. Being that this is happening with BRAND NEW BATTERIES, and used batteries alike, I would say BATTERIES are not the problem. Somehow the card reader in the camera. Also, I noticed the pictures weren't coming out as nice as they used to...much more grainy...also, everything is dark all the time now, and has to be shot up to like F2.8 and 1/50ish shutter speed. I have tried different ISO settings. not sure what the prob is.

I'm not exactly sure that cards aren't the problem, but how weird, 2 different brands, 3 different cards all having similar problem at same time. Nothing else has been unusual -- e.g. no direct sunlight, no wet cold rain or snow, no overnights in the trunk of the car, no sand or anything. Zoom still works perfect, many other features work perfect. Just the dumb memory card issue (err, is it the memory card writing issue)?

Please let me know if something else works as a solution. Whether it be card, camera, canon repair service, firmware upgrade, or whole different camera <hee hee...been wanting to try Sony's...I'm so frustrated I feel like I don't dare spend over $2000 on some higher end canon, if this one acts like this, sorry, and I've been praising canon's s1 all over creation>
DigitalPhotoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:27 PM   #42

ok i've got a s2 is (brand new) and a kingston card too. why did i get kingston? because there is no mention i could find on the canon site of preffered memory card suppliers. it is a 1 gig card, and the problem occurs any time there is more than 244 meg of memory in use on the card. canon need to fix this or my camera is being rma'd
5lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 5:13 AM   #43

Hello everybody

I would just like to inform you, that I have the same problem with 2 month old Cannon 510 camera. I am using 256 Mb SD card and about 2 hours ago I was taking pictures of the trip in Las Vegas and all pictures are gone now

I am very sad, because there were some extreamly good ones and now ....:sad::sad:

It must be something with Cannon if this is happening to S2, A510, A520 etc.

flanker_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:40 AM   #44

I'll put my hand up as well. I have an ixus 400. The original 256 MB flash card I bought with it (Fuji branded) died 5 months ago [in the middle of a friends wedding, very annoying]. I replaced that with a 256 MB Sandisk Ultra II, that started showing the memory error after about 2 months of light use. I was advised by my local camera shop to replace the card as it was a 'card error', and got another Sandisk 256 MB Ultra II. That showed the card memory error on first use after formatting in the camera!

I've checked the Canon websites and there is no firmware update for the ixus 400. I'll call canon technical support tomorrow. My previous experience of them was very poor, so I'm not holding my breath on that one.
uitlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:51 PM   #45

hy everybody
I've got an Canon A 510, and with an A-Data MMC 512MB after few days of use I receive the message"Memory Card Error". With an Lexar 128 MB SD no problem the camera works fine, with MMC 16MB from Canon , no problem.:evil:
voodooeye_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:59 PM   #46

http://www.zlk.com/canoncarderror.html
p2078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 2:31 AM   #47

Sandisk produces garbage! It has nothing to do with camera operations. It has to do with corporate philosophy. It costs Sandisk a small fraction of the retail price to produce the memory card. Maybe 10 times cheaper to produce than sale price. It makes sence for them to manufacture garbage with a high rate of failure then offer the poor public a free replacement. The alternative, which is toproduce a card that lives up to its advertised hype as "reliable" is much more costly for Sandisk. Screw the end user. Let them buy the $100 product, put hours of irreplaceable memories on it and then when the product fails, Sandisk is happy to send you a replacement which costs them probably no more than a few bucks!

This is the Sandisk way! Screw the customer!

Can anyone tell me of a way to retrieve my photos? And another manufacturer who cares about quality?

Bureaucrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 7:54 AM   #48
Administrator

Bureaucrat wrote:
Quote:
Sandisk produces garbage! It has nothing to do with camera operations. It has to do with corporate philosophy. It costs Sandisk a small fraction of the retail price to produce the memory card. Maybe 10 times cheaper to produce than sale price. It makes sence for them to manufacture garbage with a high rate of failure then offer the poor public a free replacement. The alternative, which is toproduce a card that lives up to its advertised hype as "reliable" is much more costly for Sandisk. Screw the end user. Let them buy the $100 product, put hours of irreplaceable memories on it and then when the product fails, Sandisk is happy to send you a replacement which costs them probably no more than a few bucks!

This is the Sandisk way! Screw the customer!

Can anyone tell me of a way to retrieve my photos? And another manufacturer who cares about quality?

First of all, any cards can fail, and more often than not, a corrupted memory card has been caused by something outside of the manufacturer's control.

Exactly what is your problem?

Explain in as much detail as possible, and we'll see if we can help you get your photos back. Most of the time, it's only a corrupted File Allocation Table, with recoverable images (versus acard failure).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 2:02 PM   #49

I also have the error. I am using kingston elite pro 1gb (made in taiwan). Error occurs after about 200 shots are taken. Then I either get "identifiable image" or "no image" in playback mode. In record mode "memory card error". One way I get around this turn off the cam., then turn it back on record mode and take a picture. (may take a few attempts) This seems to revive the card until I turn it off. Even with the error on the card, I can still read it from a card reader.

I have tried formatting fat, fat32, low level formatting; fresh alkaline, fresh charged niMH (2300mah), single shooting, continuous shooting; no matter what I still get the error after about 200 shots. I have no problems fillng up the 1gb with a movie clip (although I get the error right after a large clip).

I don't think it's the battery; I know someone else who has 2 kingston elite pro 1gb (made in taiwan) cards and it works fine.

A few things I am wondering:
1) Those people have the issue; what did you do to resolve it? Or what card did you end up purchasing
2) Anyone with a "bad" card know anyone else with an s2? Then you can try it on their camera to see if it's a card issue or a camera defect.
3) Also, I tested my card on an sd100, took ~200mb pics; the sd100 can playback fine however the s2 has the memory card error. So the 1gb card works fine in the sd100.
4) I also have a sandisk 256mb card and I can fill up the card n/p

I am really hoping its not a bad batch of cameras.

Thanks
x21hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:46 AM   #50

Hi,

I have also a Canon IXUS 400 with intermittant "memory card errors". I brought the IXUS to the shop where I bought the camera and the repair department "could not find anything wrong", in other words, they got rid of the problem instead of solving it. I heard from a friend, that in a certain series of Canon IXUS 400 cameras the chip is fixed with the wrong glue. Does anybody know more of this issue? Thank you very much for your reply to this message!

Willem Bakker
Rhoon
The Netherlands

whbakker is offline   Reply With Quote