Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:29 AM   #61

Hi cajani - well done and thankyou! The button works to reset the camera!It doesn't reset the confidence I have lost in in Canon cameras.
stuartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:48 PM   #62

Nice that someone found the reset button. Too bad Canon didn't bother to tell anybody. Anybody with a Canon S2 IS found a similar magic button?

Eric_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:43 PM   #63

Not a "Magic Button", but if you power up the S2 IS and hold the menu button for more than 5 seconds, you can reset most of the settings to default factory settings.

(Page 81 of "User Guide")
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:06 PM   #64

Does resetting the factory defaults correct the cf error problem discussed above?
Eric_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:58 AM   #65

The tiny button in the CF compartment is not a magic reset button; it's a door sensor. Look at the CF door and you will see a corresponding nib that presses that button, signalling to the camera that the door has been closed. The camera will not operate without that button being pressed.

The true likely problem is that the BIOS battery (NOT the rechargeable Lithium battery) has run low. This tiny, internal battery can be replaced without too much trouble by someone who doesn't mind disassembly of small parts, otherwise it's best left to a pro.

The battery is available from Canon or an official distributor, such as Huron Camera in Jackson, Michigan.

http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm

Check the parts list. If you're squeamish, give Huron a call and arrange to have them fix it.
xmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:14 AM   #66

Whether the button in the IXUS 400 CF compartment is for the door or has a dual purpose I do not know. All I know is thatit works as cajani says. I have taken about 500 photoswith the camera since taking 3 seconds to "push the button". Better than stomping on the camera as I was planning to do!
stuartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:43 PM   #67

hello,

i know this thread is a tad old but i just got my canon s2 is and i just thought i'd share my experience with this crappy memory card error problem. this is also my first post so hello everybody

ok here goes...bought the camera and didn't have any choice on brand of sd card; they cut me a good deal and this crappy 25x no-name is the ONLY card they carry. basically i got a 256mb card for nothing and i threw in $60 for a 1gb card. great deal...sort of.

had the dreaded error maybe 50% of the time right off the bat. since this is my first digital camera, i didn't think much of it. until it started to happen 100% of the time. didn't seem to matter weather i started the camera up by playback or still image. didn't think of movie mode at that time. in the meantime, popped in the ghetto little 16mb card and of couse it works perfectly. so i contacted the camera store and we agreed that it was a bad card. he's going to replace it for me.

here's where the plot thickens. after reading this last night, i got an idea. shoved it into a card reader and voila! the memory card works fine. so now i truly belive we have a compatibility problem here. as long as getting another brand like sandisk fixes it, won't bother me. if you're like me and you build yourself a computer instead of buying one, you're probably already used to hearing about compatibility problems with higher end memory and mainboards. sometimes it gets solved, sometimes it doesn't.

so, i then formatted the card in the card reader with the computer...and behold! it works. well 50% of the time...AGAIN! waiting for it to crap out 100% again. in the end i'm still going to get a replacement card. i'll try to determine in the store weather it'll crap out or not. if it does, going to try to get my $60 back and get the 256mb card. most problems i;ve been reading here are with cards 1gb or bigger, so hopefully i can use that for still images only. i'll let everybody know what happens for sure!

also, i tried the reset defaults function by holding the menu button, didn't seem to do jack all.

all in all, i love this camera so far. i may be new to digital, but been using good film cameras a lot as a child. trying to remember all the shutter speeds, light aperatures, etc. getting there

hopefully i can dig up some solution for this problem whatever it may be

oh and i didn't noice any movie problems recording at 640x480 @ 30fps with this crappy memory card...i thought that weird. figured it would be too slow. and yes starting up in movie mode seems to work perfectly.

also if anyone has any new info, please please drop it off here! thanks!
THRESHIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 1:38 PM   #68

Hi,

I just stumbled across this forum, and reading this topic - I had to respond.
I bought my Canon S2 IS about 1 month ago.
I have taken lots (and I mean lots) of pictures with my cheap Kingston 256mb SD card. Everything is fine.

MyPDAhas a 512mb mini-sd card, which I use to store music and data on.
I took the mini-sd card out of that and put it in an adaptor - so it would fit in my Canon S2.

It works perfectly (just like my 256mb card)...No errors at all.

Could there have been a faulty batch of Canon S2s'?
Oh, and by the way, it's a great camera.
jgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:12 PM   #69

I bet this can be fixed with a firmware update. It sounds like voltage problems to the memory. I bet the 16 meg memory is fine with the voltage it needs because its so small, i bet the larger capacity memory needs more voltage or a little different setting and they can correct this with a firmware update.

Hang tight guys
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:18 AM   #70

Updating !!!!

After experiencing the "error" problem .

Changed card to SanDisk 1 GB.

Formated it.

Several months passed... no problem !

(Touch Wood :?)

Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote