Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:04 AM   #71

I bought a new S2 IS 2 weeks ago with a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB SD card. After one day, I got the "memoray card error". The card WILL NOT format in the camera, low-level or otherwise. The camera gets halfway through the format and shuts off.

The card will not format in a card reader on a WinXP PC, it gets an error. The card will not format in my HP iPaq PDA. It appears the card is toast.

I bought a replacement, same card. It last 2 days, and now I get the same error, and all the same symptoms - can't format the card, can't use it.

So, I have a new camera that appears to be toasting SD cards, and two destroyed cards.

Lots of people here have posted similar problems. Has anyone found any solutions? Are these bad cameras? Or are there only certain cards that work well? I'd really like to find a solution and get on with my life.

Thanks everyone.

guitarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:48 AM   #72

i got a problem recently with the canon s2. it is just two months since i got this camera and everything went fine till this morning when i switched on the camera. i got a "memory card error" on the screen. and i did not know what to do. but then i switched off the camera and then switched it on and after that the error message has not appeared.

can any one tell me what happened and why did the error message come up? is it something to do with camera malfunctioning? please enlighten me as well as others who might have got this message.
goldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:23 AM   #73

SOLUTION! At least, it worked for me.

I was getting incessant memory card errors on a fairly new Powershot A530 with a SanDisk 2GB card. I bought the camera in March and so far have taken about 3500 pictures (we went to Hawaii, and I took 2500 of them there). A couple of weeks ago, the memory card errors started occurring (after the Hawaii trip, thank goodness), and they got to the point that I couldn't take a picture at all. Formatting the card, in the camera or in a computer, didn't help at all.

I replaced the internal lithium battery (a CR1220 in this camera), and the errors have all gone away. So, before you trash your camera or memory card out of frustration, try replacing the internal battery first. It was a $5 fix.

--Barry
bdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 9:47 PM   #74

hello, this is my first message here. my english is not so good, but I hope you will be able to understand me
I have a Canon S2 IS for 2 months with a GXT Digital Pro 2GB SD 150X card. It was working fine till now. This morning when I have turned-on the camera, this message appear:"memory card error"
The card can be read, defragment, formated in my Sundisk external card reader. I can also write pictures, movies on it and read it.
The only problem is when it is inserted in the Canon Camera. Of course I can not format it in the camera, since the camera does not reconigze it.
I have read all posts from here. I have tried all your tips. It have work one time, and after that the same message appear.
Tomorrow I will go to the store, I don't know yet if my extended warranty plan can resolve this problem. I will see.
The only solution may be the replace of the internal batterie.
I will update this message.
Thank you.

liviu_carnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 11:35 AM   #75
Administrator

If you formatted it with a PC, it probably used a 32 bit FAT, which may not be compatible with your camera.

Try selecting FAT as the file system from the drop down list you'll see after you select the format menu choice with Win XP. Then, see if your camera can recognize it

Windows XP will default to file system that is not compatible with most cameras when you use it for formatting, so selecting FAT as the file system type on cards 2GB or smaller is needed.

As an alternative, try the SD format utility from Panasonic. You'll see a download link at the bottom of this page.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/c...formatter.html

If you can get your camera to recgonize the card, reformat it again using the camera's menus before using it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 3:54 PM   #76

Are you sourcing the cards from the same place - perhaps this is bad batch of cards. I would return the cards as faulty and get a replacement - perhaps opting for a different brand. If a different brand also goes bad - then maybe it's the camera, have it checked out.

I think quality control on some cards is not 100%. Cards will wear out, but only after many many write cycles (million or so?). I've used two different brands of card with my S2 IS with no errors, about 6 months on one (Silicon Power Ultima 512MB) and 3 months on the next (Transcend x80 1GB) (I first format them in the camera).

guitarfish wrote:
Quote:
I bought a new S2 IS 2 weeks ago with a Sandisk Ultra II 1GB SD card. After one day, I got the "memoray card error". The card WILL NOT format in the camera, low-level or otherwise. The camera gets halfway through the format and shuts off.

The card will not format in a card reader on a WinXP PC, it gets an error. The card will not format in my HP iPaq PDA. It appears the card is toast.

I bought a replacement, same card. It last 2 days, and now I get the same error, and all the same symptoms - can't format the card, can't use it.

So, I have a new camera that appears to be toasting SD cards, and two destroyed cards.

Lots of people here have posted similar problems. Has anyone found any solutions? Are these bad cameras? Or are there only certain cards that work well? I'd really like to find a solution and get on with my life.

Thanks everyone.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 7:08 PM   #77

thanks for the advices. I have already formated with FAT 32, the camera did recognize it, I formated in the camera, low level. But....it's working only when it wants. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The original 16Mb card is working every time.
So I am started to think that is a SD Card problem, not the camera.
But anyway, something is strange, cause this 2GB card is working without a problem in the external card reader.
I don't know, maybe is somekind of incompatibility.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7oLUP50k8
liviu_carnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:41 AM   #78

Hello all,

I purchased a PowerShot S2 IS last (2005) Fall (from Staples), along with two Kingston "Ultimate" 120X 2GB (each) SD cards (from Tiger Direct). I took a dozen pictures or so at a time during the Fall and Winter, uploading them directly from the camera each time, i.e., I do not have a card reader on my PC, but instead just used the supplied USB cable. Most of the time, I'd just use the Canon software to delete the pictures in the camera; every once in a while, I'd use the camera's menu to (re-)format the SD card, as the manual recommended that (to avoid card fragmentation). I did this initially using both SD cards, just to make sure there were no problems, and I initially formatted both cards, when brand new, in the Canon (and that's all I use them in); after that, I basically left one card in.

I use 2500 or 2600 mAh NiMH rechargable batteries of assorted brands, and always pop a fresh set in after taking a series of pictures, i.e., I've never gotten a low-battery warning.

In January, 2006, we went on a vacation. I took 300+ pictures (at 2592x1944x24), and had absolutely no problems taking them or uploading them.

A few weeks ago, I started getting "Memory Card Error" messages. At first, I thought it was a fluke. I just turned off the camera, turned it back on, and all was well... until another dozen or so pictures. So I put the other card in. Same thing. The last week or so, this is happening every other picture or thereabout, and turning the camera off and on has no effect. Neither does switching memory cards. I sprayed some electronic contact cleaner on one of the cards the other day, and this didn't help.

And so I decided to research theInternet. I Googled...

"memory card error" canon s2 is

...and here I am. I am leaning toward the low-firmware-battery theory I've read here, because:

1) no one has mentionedKingston cards;
2) I successfully took 400 or 500 pictures, without incident;
3) I find it difficult -- not impossible, but difficult -- to believe that not one but two memory cards would all of a sudden, at the same time, decide to become faulty after working for more than half a year (as opposed to being manufactured faulty, which is much more plausible);
4) I certainly find it plausible that either an internalbattery has become weaker, or there's some bug in the camera's firmware that manifests itself after, say, 500 pictures have been taken (hey, I used to write software, and I've seen stranger bugs).

So, that's my story, and like the rest of you I'm extremely disappointed.

Questions:

1) By the way, has anyone posted instructions for do-it-yourself battery-changing (the internal battery)? I'd like to give it a shot, if it's not too difficult.

2) Has anyone successfully upgraded the firmware on an S2 IS?

Regards,

Bill Pollack
wspollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:25 PM   #79

Hi Bill, I can read your frustration regarding the memory error issue. I experienced the same problem with my S2and I had two theories (I'll explain in a second why I used the verb in past tense). First, say you are using a 1 Gb SD card (or higher), like I was. Once you go over the amount of photos that fit in 512 Mb, the camera may or may not recognize the other 512 Mb of empty storage and the more pictures you add to the card, the more errors you get. OK, that theory may not work if you are using cards smaller than 512 Mb. Second theory is that the problem has to do with picture numbering. Some how, once the internal picture number goes over say 600, the camera starts to play out, reason why re-formatting the card will not resolve the issue but resetting the camera's picture numberingmay. Alright, you may think that I'm full of it and that my theories are pure garbage. You know what, you may be absolutely correct. It's all speculation and no one seems to have the solution to this annoying problem. Ah, wrong again. Here's my solution...sell the darn camera! That's what I did and now I'm much happier!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:48 PM   #80

There are no known firmware upgrades for the S2, and from whats reported by the camera we all seem to be on the same version.

SD cards, solid state memory in general, can go bad. If you rarely fill you card, you may not hit the bad bits very often - so problems may appear randomly depending on how many images you let build up. I'm not sure how these particular cards work, but I know some solid state memory devices use some internal randomising allocation of space to reduce the chances of overusing the same spot - so this might cause random problems depending on what bits are selected for use.

I suppose it's possible that battery problems with the "date-battery" or AA's could play a part. Dirty contacts might cause issues such as the batteries draining faster than expected, or insufficient voltages. Trying a replacement for the S2 internal "date battery" is worth a shot - perhaps first try cleaning it's surfaces. Perhaps you could try some AA non-rechargables instead of yor normal batteries - this might eliminate your rechargables as the cause.

I'm sure that there must be faulty cameras out there as well. If more than one card has the same problem, you'd have to suspect the camera.

I routinely fill my cards 100%. I first formatted them in the camera and I've never reformatted them. I normally use PC software, Canons or third-party, to delete images via the cameras USB interface. I never use PC card readers - I've just never needed to. I've taken about 5000 images over about 10 months (image counter is on 5400). So far I haven't seen any issues with my two cards (see my earlier post this thread for card brands if you're interested).

Card issues aren't normal (at least not with my A80 or S2). I'd be visiting the shop I bought them from if I couldn't easily resolve issues like this.

mchnz is offline   Reply With Quote