Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:51 PM   #81

Go check the Panasonic or Nikon forums to see how many people actually complain about memory card error. Panasonic and Nikoncameras also use SD cards. I have many cameras:an FZ20, a Kodak DX6440, a Panasonic LZ2 and had a Canon A610 and Nikon Coolpix 4200 (I also have a Sony H1 but it uses memory stick). All of them use SD card. I have all sorts of SD cards (not only different sizes but different brands as well). I never, ever experienced a single problem with any of my cards on any of my cameras except...on my S2 (which I finally sold). Therefore, I don't believe the "memory card error" issue with the S2 is related to batteries, card brand or size but with the camera itself. Firmware problem perhaps or its an internal mechanical defect. With the S3 on the shelves, I doubt Canon is going to bother fixing anything on the S2.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:52 PM   #82

Hi,
I bought S3 two months ago. So far, I have had two "Memory card errors". With two different cards:
- Kingston 1GB
- Lexar 256MB

Last time, it happened with the Kingston card, which included some 400 family pictures....of a special vacation with a person, who soon is no longer among us anymore.

Before this happened, I had checked the cards with my PC (took some time to do that) and there are no physical errors on the cards. I haven't done that again for the 1GB card, because I'm still hoping the pictures could be recovered. Freeware programs like Recovery or R-studio have not helped.

Also, with my good old Minolta F300 both the cards have worked just fine for a year or so. I must admit that I'm dissapointed and frustrated. I'm contacting Canon to see what their answer is. I'm not so interested in getting the money back from the camera. I'm more interested in to get those pictures back, if possible. They simply cannot be replaced. I hope Canon will show professional attitude on that and they would help me on that.

Well, I must also say that I was stupid enough to trust that 1GB card is so handy to cover all the pictures that it's the only card I need. In the future, I will prefer smaller cards and I will change those on daily basis during my vacations.

K

kelmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:33 PM   #83

When I had the S2, I too experienced memory card error. Almost trashed my EP 1 GB card. Then, after reading many many articles about the S2 and card errors, I decided to keep the card and get rid of the camera. I bought the Panasonic FZ20 and have absolutely no problems with that same exact card. Didn't even have to re-format. So, the problem was definitely with the camera. I believe your cards are fine too. Sorry to say but the problem is with the S3.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:45 PM   #84
Administrator

kelmi wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
I bought S3 two months ago. So far, I have had two "Memory card errors". With two different cards:
- Kingston 1GB
- Lexar 256MB
Well, personally, I would not use Kingston media if you gave it to me. I've seen too many issues in forums, with too many cameras. I know of some Minolta camera owners that had multiple replacements that ended up with problems.

The Lexar should work OK though. Most of the Lexar SD cards are using Panasonic Components and they tend to work fine with most cameras. But, all manufacturers have problems from time to time with media.

I have seen Lexar cards using different components than Panasonic's from time to time (the earlier Sandisk SD Cards had LOT of problems with some cameras, so you might have got one of those rebranded as Lexar). You can usually tell by the stamps on the card. The newer Sandisk components are fine, though (but, the earlier 256MB Sandisk Cards were very bad in some models, and Lexar did use the same components in some cards early on).

The "big 3" SD manufacturers are Panasonic, Toshiba and Sandisk, and most other "manufacturers" are using rebraneded components.

I would make sure to format any media you use with the camera's menus. I do that with any memory card, prior to every use, no exceptions. That insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it (since the camera is performing the format).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:59 PM   #85

I have a 512 Mb Kingston Elite Pro cardand it works flawlessly on many different cameras. I also have a 1 Gb EP card, 2x256 Mb Sandisk (blue type) and they all work OK on all my cameras. The Canon S2 was THE only camera to give me card errors. So, I really, really don't think that the problem is with the card (if you had a different camera, I'd say yes, it's a good possibility the card is at fault). The S3 is pretty much theS2 with some very minor improvements. I thinkit inheritedthe card error problem from the S2.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:17 PM   #86
Administrator

I don't have anything against Kingston personally. But, they've got an extremely bad reputaton for flash memory, especially in certain camera models.

I've seen an unusually high number of problems reported in cameras using their media.

Some of the problems seem to stem from their use of cheaper to make Multi-level Cell verus Single Level Cell Memory in some cards.

Their reputation is worse in some cameras. For example, a number of the Kingston Elite Pro cards wouldn't work correctly in the Canon S1 IS. Canon went out of it's way to try and make their camera more compatible via firmware updates.

But, some manufacturers didn't try that hard to accomodate them. For example, some of their cards won't work at all in Kodak's DSLR models and they are *extremely* slow in Konica Minolta models.

Even a standard speed Sandisk CompactFlash card is around 8 times as fast as a 50x Kingston Elite Pro card in a KM DSLR. You can blame it on the camera if you want. But, Kingston media is on my avoid list. I would not risk using Kingston media, even if they gave me the cards and offered to pay me to use them.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:09 AM   #87

I only blame iton the camera if the camera is a Canon (S1, S2, S3, Sx). At one point in time I had 7 cameras. Six of them used SD card and one (Sony H1) used memory stick, which BTW, is an excellent media. It may be more expensive but you never read/hear people complaining about them. Anyway, as I was saying, out of the 6 cameras, the Canon S2 was the only one to have memory card error. Coincidence? Perhaps but it would be hard to convince me.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:31 AM   #88
Administrator

I wouldn't judge the cameras based on those two cards, since the Lexar may have been using Sandisk Components (some of the early 256mb cards did, but they later changed to the same components used in Panasonic SD media). If it's a "high speed' (32x or faster) Lexar, it's using Panasonic components. Some of the standard speed Lexar 256mb cards were using Sandisk components, which had problems in many cameras.

The early Sandisk 256mb had compatibility issues with a number of cameras (including the Konica models like the KD-310z, KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-510z and the Minolta G500). Ditto for compatiblity problems with some PDA's.

At one point, Konica and later Konica Minolta had specific warnings on their compability lists that using a Sandisk 256mb card could cause these cameras to malfunction with errors. In other words, these cards were so unreliable, they took the unusual step of singling this card model out. ;-)

Because most other SD manufacturers are using rebranded components, if you got one using the same components, you could expect problems in some cameras.

After Sandisk sorted out the issues with them, they removed the specific warnings for these cards (but, if you get an older one, it will have compatibility problems with these cameras).

As for the Kingston Elite Pro cards, even new KM models still have problems with them. They're one of the slowest cards you can buy for a KM DSLR model (even the standard speed Kingston cards are much faster), and I've seen numerous reports of corrupted media from Konica Minolta owners attempting to use them.

Ditto for the Kingston Elite Pro cards in Kodak DSLR models (they usually won't work at all in those models).

Unfortunately, you do see compatibiity issues with certain memory cards and cameras due to differences in electronics between them. It's not just the speed of a card that impacts compatibility.

In some models, they work fine.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:17 AM   #89
Administrator

P.S.

One thing I always do is format a card using a camera's menus, prior to every use. This insures that I always start out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).

A number of things can cause corrupted media (low or bad battery, incomplete writes from trying to use a PC to delete images, removing a camera from a USB connection without using the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, or making sure the driver is setup to "Allow quick removal").

Some USB drivers don't default that way (so it's not unusual to see problems reported by users that use a PC to delete images on a card).

Formatting a card using a cameras's menus prior to every use is a good idea IMO, since, a corrupted FAT may not cause problems immediatlely. I always do this, and always have with every camera I've owned, as "extra" insurance to avoid problems.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:13 AM   #90

Well, I guess I've been extra extra lucky. Here are the reasons why I say that:

1)I never format my SD cards using the camera's formattingtool because I have many different camera brands and models and I interchange the cards between them as needed. So, I think if I use a card that has been formatted by Panasonic onmy Kodak camera,Ihave a much greater chance toexperience problems.I alwaysuse the PC to format my cards and never ever had a problem with any card on any camera (except the S2, of course). Fingers crossed!!!

2) I never replace the batteries beforethey aretotally dead. As a result, the camera always shuts down on me and again, my cards never got corrupted by that. Pure luck, I guess?!?

3) I always use the PC to delete the images from the card. I have a Sandisk card reader (I never connect the camera directly to the PC) and once the pictures are downloaded, I highlight them all and...delete! Again,this never caused me problems (so far).

4) Since I don't plug the camera into the computer and my card reader is always connected to the USB port, I don't need to worry about removing the hardware safely but I do agree it'sthe proper (and recommended)procedure to prevent possible data loss.

Ialso agree with Jim that there are differences between card manufacturers, quality and compatibility betweenthe various cards and cameras being sold. Again, I must have been pretty lucky with my cards and cameras (except with the S2) and I certainly don't recommend my practices to any one. I think Jim's recommendations are very much in line with the standards in terms of memory card handling.