Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 18, 2005, 5:06 PM   #1

I was taking photos with my PowerShot A510, using a SanDisk 256 MB card,and it was working just fine. I uploadthe pictures on to my computer and proceed to take more photos. I switch the camera from shooting mode to viewing mode and it doesn't show my pictures--it starts to turn on (the blue screen comes up with "Canon" on it), the green light next to the viewfinder flashes about twenty times,and then the camera turns off. I switched it back to shoot mode and took another picture. AfterI take it, the light next to the viewfinder blinks red and then, on the top of the LCD screen it says, "Memory card error." One second it says I have 79 pictures left, and the next moment it says i have 0. If I go back to view mode, it says "No Image."

If I switch the card to locked, it shows me the pictures I have, but as soon as I unlock it, ittells me that there is an error.

Does anybody have any idea what could possiblybe wrong?
rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2005, 7:06 PM   #2

Have you tried taking some pics with the 16mb card canon included with the camera? If so, did you get the same error? If not, it might be the memory card you are using. Keep us posted as I am getting an a510 and have returned one for "incompatible jpeg format" when viewing vertically photographed pictures in playback.
mes444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 9:40 PM   #3

It worked with the 16 card... but I have it taken care of... Canon is sending me a new card.
rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 3:59 PM   #4

I encoutered this one before too, I have the S2 Powershot, and it's the greatest thing I eved laid hands on yet, but it gives me memory card errors too with a kingston elite pro 1Gb.
I changed the card to a new one but still keep getting the errors. Next try is a Sandisk Ultra II 1Gb, if that wont work the flaw is in the camera...
I do hope that it wont go that far :P
gvoima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:12 AM   #5

I am also seeing this message with the S2 / Kingston card combo. It didn't show up until I had taken a bunch of pictures and movies with the camera. I was scared that I had lost them, but when I put the card into my external USB reader, I was able to get them off of the card.

I then tried to format the card in the camera, and that didn't work. I formatted it in the reader, and then in the camera. I hope that will solve the problem with this otherwise spectacular camera.

jeffbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:18 AM   #6

That's GREAT! Well it's not great but I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one.
I have EXACTLY the same symptons as you and I've heard that there has been some problems with the kingston cards.

I also get the errors after a bunch of pictures or long video. I'm still waiting for my Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, everyone have said that Sandisk rocks in canon made cameras, and I have no doupt that they do. Besides, it's a little bit faster than kingston

Does Canon brand sandisk cards, that's what I've heard? Sticks a canon logo/sticker on it...
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:21 AM   #7

I am going to see if I can find a SanDisk at a local retailer today. One of my kids is graduating from 6th grade, my wife is out of the country, and she definitely wants to see the pictures!

Old Jun 20, 2005, 2:56 PM   #8

I know what you mean, I had some occations where I needed the camera...
But no memorycard and missed ALOT of very good pictures :P
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:30 PM   #9

Sorry to mention this for everyone on this thread that is switching to Sandisk. But I have the Sandisk Ultra II 1GB and have the same "Memory Card Error". There is this odd website from Canon Japan that I found, but it is for the SD100, not the SD500 that I have. Does anyone know what the implications are in downloading this firmware even through it for another model?

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/ixus2/ixus2_firmware-e.html

I'm very pissed about this error, especially pissed becuse clearly this is an issue with Canon that the company has yet to address.

-k
kaumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:38 PM   #10

Stop, don't do this!

There's a very high chance that this will render your camera useless and irrepairable. Based on the information found at http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/BeBit-e.html , it is clear that they don't make post-release changes to the firmware very often, and when they do it is to fix a very specific problem with a very specific model.

Have you done a low-level format of the card from within the camera?