Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 27, 2002, 4:30 PM   #1

Default Picture quality on A40

Am I the only one to notice that the 1024x768 pictures on the A40 Powershot look much better than the 1600x1200 pictures. When you magnify them up to 100% everything looks soft and out of focus whereas the lower resolution pics looks sharper(ish).

Rimbo
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2002, 6:06 PM   #2

On the monitor, or when printed?

I'll bet your monitor resolution is 1024 X 768. Try increasing your screen resolution to the higher value and look again.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 2:33 AM   #3

LOL, good point Wildman, but true!
Kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 4:43 PM   #4

Thanks for your advice Wildman, the image appears soft on the monitor. I will increase it to 1024x768 to see if it makes any difference as it is just set to 800x600 at the moment.

I would like to know what kasper finds so funny about my question? Maybe he or she would like to share the joke with the rest of us??? If laughing at peoples questions is the only thing you can offer then you need to go away and start growing up.

Rimbo :x
Old Dec 28, 2002, 5:24 PM   #5

Default Re: Picture quality on A40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimbo
Thanks for your advice Wildman, the image appears soft on the monitor. I will increase it to 1024x768 to see if it makes any difference as it is just set to 800x600 at the moment.

I would like to know what kasper finds so funny about my question? Maybe he or she would like to share the joke with the rest of us??? If laughing at peoples questions is the only thing you can offer then you need to go away and start growing up.

Rimbo :x
Rimbo please relax, i luaghed as i hadnt thought of that either!....so dont you think it was a good point?? I do!.....i think in the future please make sure someone is being rude to you before you blow your top as two wrongs wouldnt make a right would it?

Cheers and happy photography!
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:14 PM   #6

I am beginning to think the A40 is a camera with quality control problems. I have seen both good and bad pictures posted on the web. Most of the good ones were at 1280x960 or less. The 1600x1200's (even the samples posted by Canon on their A40 product page) are not great: my FinePix 2800 outdoes them easily. In all fairness, the portrait of the woman (at the Canon site) was taken at a slow shutter speed and it looks as though her head moved (her sweater has good detail). The shot of the pool is just 'acceptable' (seems to need more in-camera sharpening).
There are also complaints of what appears to be a misaligned lens: shots are blurred at either the left or right side, dependent on the distance focussed upon. We ran into the same problem with one we just bought (and are returning). This is in addition to the tele 'focus patch' that you may have to apply (if the camera doesn't have '5' as the fifth number in the serial).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 5:53 PM   #7

I tried changing the screen resolution on my monitor and yes it did have an improvement on the pictures but the downside is it makes everything else so small. I was on Canon's website and yes it said my camera needed the patch. I downloaded it and installed it on the camera but it has had no effect whatsoever. I still have to keep the object as far away.

Rimbo 8)
Old Jan 1, 2003, 3:28 PM   #8

Rimbo:

Can you join www.pbase.com (it's free) and post some of your pictures there at 1600x1200? That site seems to be able to save them without adding the artifacts I've experienced at other sites.
And check out this thread to see if it applies in your case:

http://forums.powershot-a.com/showth...2856#post12856
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 5:13 PM   #9

Thanks MentorRon for the links, I will certainly be trying them over the next few days.

Rimbo 8)
Old Jan 6, 2003, 12:22 AM   #10

rimbo,

Well thank you for NOT apologizing for being a bit of a jerk. I thought that i would give you reasonable time to make amends for your behavior earlier in this post.

Its a shame there are people like you in forums who jump on others so quickly for nothing......YES NOTHING, its not like i came out and stated you were a dumby, that i could have understood. I merely agreed as i hadnt thought of that suggestion myself.

Maybe you need to go away and grow up as your failure to reconcile is a sign of immaturity in itself!

:evil: