Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 27, 2002, 4:32 PM   #1

Default s230 or s200

should i put in the extra money and get the 3mp s230 or get the 2mp s200??? i have no idea if its worth the extra $100. thx. for your help!
StarsGlowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2002, 9:17 PM   #2

Default Re: s230 or s200

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsGlowin
should i put in the extra money and get the 3mp s230 or get the 2mp s200??? i have no idea if its worth the extra $100. thx. for your help!
If you're past film camera experience is exclusively with point-n-shoot 35mm cameras and if you never plan to get any photo prints larger than 5x7 then you'll be happy with the S200.

But if you're primary film camera is a 35mm SLR or rangefinder, then go with the S230. Personally I have never been happy with the subltle softness of a 2MP image even at 4x6 so I will never shoot with anything smaller than a 3MP camera. The S230 also features newer electronics which focuses and sets exposure better and faster.

If cost is still an issue, also consider the Pentax Optio 330GS wich is a 3MP camera at about the same price or lower than the S200. Its only slightly larger (still smaller than a pack of cards).
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 2:04 AM   #3

My past digicam was an Intel Megapixal-web cam. S230 is the best in the 3.2MP class. Jumping from 1MP to 3.2 was such a delight. Obviously, 2MP is better than 1. At the same time, 3.2 is better than 2. I'm faily new to digicam. The key is geting most for your money. I've read and read. After weeks of reading, I'm am fully satisfied with my purchased.lol:
korby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 7:05 PM   #4

I have owned a S200, S330 and now the S230. I fell that all cameras are somewhat unique, within the same model, being as everything is made within tolerances.

The S200 produced the most pleasings snaps to me, but since I frequently used zoom and the S200 flows from optical to digital zoom, I always had to make sure it didn't go beyond 2x. I did like the vivid colors and the lens was sharp -- well, more properly, the file output.

The S330 has the most features and a 3x optical zoom, but was a bit bulky -- after using a S200. Still, pretty nice box.

The S230 I use everyday -- really -- is just as sharp, but not quite as vivid as the S200. I prefer it, however, because the pixel count is the most useful new series feature to me -- I will usually expand a crop with a Photoshop plug-in (3rd party). Which brings me to another point: there is plenty of good data in any Canon S series to easily make any photo vivid (color saturation and balance, I mean). And it was good to get back to the slightly smaller form factor. The new higher cap battery was a plus too.

If you ever expand a photo or it's crop as I do, more pixels are real usefull. We all get into different aspects of images though; I rarely do people, but I think you'll be pleased, no matter which S model you purchase.

Oh, it's so easy to take way many photos, I always use a 256 MB CF or better.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote