Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 22, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1

I"m interested in buying an S2 IS when it is released. However, I was looking at an S1 today, is the speed of the zoom lens something one gets used it?

i.e., it seemed like on little touch of the zoom lever would shoot the lens out, then another touch shot it back. Hard to find a happy medium.

Joe Fisher, Teacher-K-8, Marion, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 4:52 AM   #2

You can control the speed of the zoom. You'll get used to that in less than a minute. You can zoom it very slowly too. I've taken lots of movies with it using slow zoom. Never had a problem on it.
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:17 AM   #3

OK, how does this slow zoom thing work? I've gotten used to the fast zoom, but missed the instructions on how to slow it down???

>>You can control the speed of the zoom. You'll get used to that in less than a minute. You can zoom it very slowly too. I've taken lots of movies with it using slow zoom. Never had a problem on it.<<

Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 8:14 AM   #4

Kavoom wrote:
Quote:
OK, how does this slow zoom thing work? I've gotten used to the fast zoom, but missed the instructions on how to slow it down???
There is no instruction for it. This is how to practice it..

Don't use the tip of your finger for controlling zoom lever. Use the fleshy part in the tip of your finger. Make sure your figer touches the zoom lever in semi-circle.

Press the zoom lever horizontally so that it doesn't move to right or left. Apply a bit more pressure that you usually do. Now you get more control on the zoom lever. Slowly move to right or left as required. It'll no more slip so that it zooms quickly. Applying more pressure to the lever horizontally is the key for a good control.

Hope this helps.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:43 PM   #5

Not sure if this will help, but the instructions for the S2 from Canon's site say:

Quote:
The speed at which the magnification change is determined by the way the zoom lever is turned. Turning the zoom lever in one swift movement completely to the right/left enables fast zooming. For slow zooming, slowly turn the zoom lever halfway.
I don't know if this differs from how the S1 works.
digitalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 6:06 PM   #6

Thats how it works on my Olympus C-740 UZ. You turn the lever a little bit and it slowely zooms, you turn the lever all the way and it is fast zoom.
pontiac005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 1:49 AM   #7

digitalblue wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if this differs from how the S1 works.
I don't know about S2. But theoretically S1 is also having the same feature that you defined for S2. But it's difficult for some people to control the half way position and fully towards the right. I hope S2 zoom lever can be easily controlled.

Even for S2 they've mentioned "...FOR SLOW ZOOIMING SLOWLY TURN...". So there sould be some kind of practice for it.
Old May 26, 2005, 1:57 AM   #8

pontiac005 wrote:
Quote:
Thats how it works on my Olympus C-740 UZ. You turn the lever a little bit and it slowely zooms, you turn the lever all the way and it is fast zoom.
Okay. For S1 it's the same. But to get the zoom lever to half way, you need practice as you need a good control on it. If you give slighly more pressure to your right/left, it'll zoom like a rocket :?