Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 26, 2005, 2:33 AM   #1
fat

The Canon Powershot S2 was available as of yesterday here in Hong Kong. The price here is $3980 (US$510). Already read a review from a local magazine and they said the IS function on the S2 is a bit weaker compared to the competition. I was about to get the Panasonic FZ5 in a few days time because i didnt know when the Canon was coming out here! But now the S2 is out and i dont know which one to get! The Panasonicis a bit cheaperthan the S2 here($470). Kind of leaning towards the S2 nowas it has more functions. Someone correct me if i am wrong, but i cant seem to finda button to activate/deactive IS on the S2! It seems like you have to select it in the menu which would be a real botherevery time you want to change it.
fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 5:43 AM   #2

I am waiting reviews myself. I narrowed my purchase down to either the FZ5 or the Canon S2.
pontiac005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:30 AM   #3

fat wrote:
Quote:
i cant seem to find¬*a button to activate/deactive IS on the S2! It seems like you have to select it in the menu which would be a real bother¬*every time you want to change it. ¬*
u'r right, it's in the menu now
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/301-e.html#17

but s2 has shorcuts, so i guess it's not that bad
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/208-e.html#02
doudydoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:44 AM   #4
fat

Thanks for that link. Just read that theres a shortcut button which we can assign to the IS function. So that solves that problem. Going to decide onwhich camera to get within the next week.
fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:52 AM   #5

looks like it's on Ebay now as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

looks like they have it in stock :?

can't wait to see FZ's prices falling down
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:14 AM   #6
TCB

Just picked mine up yesterday here in Canada (Aden Camera in Toronto) Got it for 650 Canadian...so not bad.

Here's my initial impressions:

-build quality isn't as good as I'm used to...too much plastic I like the feel of my Pana FZ10 better...but it's okay..they could of at least given it a metal tripod mount though!
-hand fgrip is VERY nice. Fits my hands well
-focus assist light seems like a new one for Canon...it's more like a holagram...it's green...my old Canon A70 had a white or orange light if memory proves correct.
-speed is VERY fast...start up, shutter, focusing (low light is very quick indeed) That's speed is VERY good
-picture quality seems very good, although I haven't had the time to fully test, seems better then my FZ10 though.
-lcd and evf seem very good, and the gain up in low light DOES work!
Lots of menus I'm not used to, so I'll have to play around with it later today

Very happy thus far!

Will post pics as soon as I have some!

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:31 PM   #7

There at Circuit City, go to circuitcity.com
schoudhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8

Had my S2 IS for over a week now and have taken close to 500 pictures in all types of conditions. I'm not a professional photographer, but am extremely impressed with this camera. It is extremely fast, produces high quality pictures, and has a load of features. TheIS works a lot better thanI thought it would. The onlyissue is thatit takes a few extra secondsto focus when at the longest zoom.However, I see this as a minor inconvienence and wouldn't prevent me from buying this camera.
Dutch1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 5:11 PM   #9

Got my S2 this week at Circuit City wilth $50 online coupon (thanx Tech Bargains)

Comparing pix to my sd300 and older G5 and find the quality to be very good. One thing that took some getting used to is when you open the LCD you loose your viewfinder and visa versa so you cannot bounce quickly back and forth. The zoon takes some getting used to as to the short distance between fast and slow zooming. I find the LCD on my sd300 to be far superior to the S2.

I've only taken a couple dozen pix of my fst moving grandaughter and flowers and find the camera to be very good with moving targets and the foliage setting on presets really does well.

I don't use a tripod very often, but it appears that the plastic mount is alittle scary. And I would think that if you spend $500 on a camera, Canon would either give a larger card or at least rechargeable batteries.:-)

limrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:19 PM   #10

Here's a good review for you!

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

Karen :bye:
kdk0408 is offline   Reply With Quote