Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 26, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1
TCB

Just picked mine up yesterday here in Canada (Aden Camera in Toronto) Got it for 650 Canadian...so not bad.

Here's my initial impressions:

-build quality isn't as good as I'm used to...too much plastic I like the feel of my Pana FZ10 better...but it's okay..they could of at least given it a metal tripod mount though!
-hand fgrip is VERY nice. Fits my hands well
-focus assist light seems like a new one for Canon...it's more like a holagram...it's green...my old Canon A70 had a white or orange light if memory proves correct.
-speed is VERY fast...start up, shutter, focusing (low light is very quick indeed) That's speed is VERY good
-picture quality seems very good, although I haven't had the time to fully test, seems better then my FZ10 though.
-lcd and evf seem very good, and the gain up in low light DOES work!
Lots of menus I'm not used to, so I'll have to play around with it later today

Very happy thus far!

Will post pics as soon as I have some!
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 12:39 PM   #2

650 + 15%

or 650 final? :?
djredhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:51 PM   #3
fat

Please do give us more insights and anybad points about the camerawhen you have time! The plastic tripod mount is a disappointment though.
fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 3:05 PM   #4
TCB

One more quick point...the flash doesn't "pop" up automatically when needed...not a big deal but just a pain I guess.

Yes 650+ 15%

747.50 after tax.

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 5:08 PM   #5

Please keep the info coming as I am going to be purchasing this camera if it is comparable to the FZ5. Thanks and have fun with your new toy....

Marcus
pontiac005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:10 PM   #6

I've got mine ordered and can't wait for it to get here. Actually, my sister is picking it up for me today at Vistek in Calgary Alberta and then mailing it to me. I paid $665 Canadian + GST for a grand total of $711 ($562 US). Now I just have to impatiently wait for it to get here :?
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:16 PM   #7

brendak2000 wrote:
Quote:
I've got mine ordered and can't wait for it to get here. Actually, my sister is picking it up for me today at Vistek in Calgary Alberta and then mailing it to me. I paid $665 Canadian + GST for a grand total of $711 ($562 US). Now I just have to impatiently wait for it to get here :?
Are you sure they got them in today? As of 2pm today, Vistek in Calgary had NOT yet received them from the Canon warehouse. I've been calling them pratically every hour for the last 2 days and it's been the same story, "still waiting for them from the warehouse". The guys have been checking both the computer and the back room for me in case they came in. :sad:
digitalblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 8:05 PM   #8

aakkk, you know what digital blue--your right! My sister just drove all the way over there and Julie (the rep I've spent most of the day on the phone with) said I must have misunderstood, that they thought it would be in today but it didn't come. (On the phone, Julie told me that they Were in the store but she hadn't actually seen one yet) Anyway, they are calling my sister tomorrow as soon as they come in so that she can go get one for me.
Old May 26, 2005, 8:18 PM   #9

By the way digital blue The Camera Store in Calgary http://thecamerastore.com/is selling the S2 for $675 (I honestly cannot remember if they told me they were in stock yet--I Do know they wouldn't Price Match)

The reason I picked Vistek over them is because a long time ago when the S2 was first announced, I emailed a bunch of Canadian Retailers and got quotes. Aden Camera gave me a quote of $665 and Henry's camera sent me an email saying they would match Aden's price. When I asked Vistek if they matched prices they said that they wouldn't match Adens, but they Would match Henry's. So I sent them the email from Henry's and voila, I get the camera for $665. Plus I get it out of Calgary Alberta (no tax if my sis picks up) and Calgary's a Lot closer than Toronto if something happens to go wrong with it.
Old May 26, 2005, 9:47 PM   #10

Vistek lost a sale from me today. I called their Toronto store today at 1:25pm (their time it was 3:25pm) and they had some in stock. I said I needed it shipped today and they said it was too late because no courier would be able to pick it up. Well I called FedEx and DHL after that and both of them pick up in that area until 5pm. So it could have been done, they just couldn't be bothered. I was willing to arrange everything with the courier myself as well, all they had to do was ring in my sale with my credit card.

The Calgary store has been more helpful but now I'm not sure if I want to give the company my business.
digitalblue is offline   Reply With Quote