Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 26, 2005, 6:40 PM   #1

hey im looking at getting a digicam.

i want to use it mainly for concert and regular use, and also importantly - MACRO use.

i dont know much about the different models - i like the s1 is b/c its affordable, has long lens, and swivel viewer.

what are the best digicams for under $350 or so that fit this -- i don't know if/how well the s1 is macro mode is (does it even have one?)

i'm just looking into it.

any and all suggestions are extremely welcome.

i dont think the s1 is has a hot shoe - is that going to be a huge problem b/c i BELIEVE for macro stuff you'd want a ring lite or some other sort of flash..will it be a huge deal if i cant add an external flash to the digicam?

where do i go? help me!

if anyone has photos, feel free to share

uhhmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 9:12 PM   #2

While the S1 is a really good camera, it is not a great macro camera and it would not be good for concert photography since it's really bad in low light.
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3

well what is your suggestion then?
Old May 26, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4

You'll have a hard time finding a camera under $350 that will work well with concert photography. I'm not an expert on all cameras, but I know the S1 would not be good at it.

You'll need a camera that isn't too noisy at higher ISO, good low light auto focus, or an easy to use manual focus, and a hot shoe if flash is allowed where you are shooting. I don't know of a $350 camera that matches that.

Also, with a set of close up filters you can take amazing macros with the S1, but without a macro mode it's hard to get real close out of the box.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:46 PM   #5

yeah. i mean, im not looking to take amazing concert photos that would make it to magazines, just so i can have my own collection / record of em, you know?

i would like something that could take nice concert photos. the s1 would be TERRIBLE or just not amazing?

thanks a ton
Old May 26, 2005, 11:46 PM   #6

yeah. i mean, im not looking to take amazing concert photos that would make it to magazines, just so i can have my own collection / record of em, you know?

i would like something that could take nice concert photos. the s1 would be TERRIBLE or just not amazing?

thanks a ton
Old May 27, 2005, 9:11 AM   #7

It wouldn't be terrible, but you'd probably want to use manual focus or you'd never get the shots you wanted.

On the other hand, you could take amazing video captures of concerts with the S1.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:32 PM   #8

thanks. got any examples by the way of either concert or macro use with the s1?

is the macro filter the most with digicams in the price range, except for the nikons?

would the newer s2 be better or not worth it?

thanks
Old May 28, 2005, 9:19 AM   #9

you can shootboth great andterrible pictures with s1.Yes the low light focusing is a problem but when there is enough sharp light even in a total darkness, it focusses well,(not all the time). macro is good. i can shoot from at least 3cm without any filters lenses etc. have a look at this one.....in a dark hall ,, telephoto (not full). but if i were you i would go with s2..
Attached Images

echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:46 AM   #10

and another one, may help you for your decision

Attached Images

echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote