Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:35 AM   #21

Hmmm, based on the latest photos, tell me which picture is better:

S2 -

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...MG_0016-pp.JPG

H1 -

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...SC00108-pp.JPG

It's clear to me who has the better picture of the exact same scene...
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:55 AM   #22
PvB

Jeff has posted a few more pics made with the S2 at dcresource. The white building next to the church is rampant with CA around the shadows. The statue in one of the photos has also been photographed by the S1 IS and one of the Panasonics (the FZ3 I think). Those photos have been posted on this site, but I can't remember in which forum or thread. You'll have to look for those photos if you want to compare softness. The photo with the populars has both green and purple CA on the three shadows nearest the camera (green on the near side, purple on the far side of the shadows).
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 4:17 PM   #23

Montana, dont you have anything better to do than go to all these different forums talking bad about the new S2? At least one person realized that your precious pictures of the bunnies are different. They were probably taken in different cubicals.. aka different lighting. Also with your second link of pictures, only a few of them are the same because they are taken at different angles which means the picture looks different with any camera you use. Now Im not saying that the S2 is any better or worse than the H1, all im saying is stop bashing the camera and trying to swing votes without letting people check it out for themselves.
compjargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 4:12 AM   #24

woah - I am still very much interested in the S2. I posted comaprisons of photos , etc. IMHO, the H1 photos however look a notch better *so far*.

If you notice, I posted pics from both cams. What's even more interesting is when I included C770 photos that beat both the S2 and H1 in terms of detail.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:11 PM   #25

I've been playing with my S2 for 2 days now and the samples you are seeing are not very good compared to what I've been getting. Yes the noise isn't great, but there is clearly less noise then the S1.

Also, what you are not hearing yet is the my colors options are amazing and fun to play with. Example, you can pick a color and take the shot so only that color shows up (the rest in B&W). Or you can swap colors, replace all the blues with red... You can make one or all colors stand out. Great features if you do not play in Photoshop and fun features even if you do.

I'd guess many of the samples that are out there were taken with super fine off, with vivid colors turned off, and using evaluative metering as opposed to spot (much smarter to use in my opinion).

This is a much better camera then the S1
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:57 PM   #26
PvB

Is the S2 better than the Panasonic FZ5, or is is it a matter of preference, or is the FZ5 better:?:
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 10:07 AM   #27

Preference for sure!

The FZ-5 lens is certainly better, but, the canon has so many cool littletouches to make up for its lack of being able to maybe beat the FZ5. The movie mode for one, the my colours system and the twist out screen.

I prefer the Fz5 by along way but thats my preference! :-)

Reviews shud be up shortly i hope.
frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:38 PM   #28

Don't know specifically about the FZ5 but I've been comparing the FZ20 (a heavier beast) but lens performance is probably similar.

Check out the pointy building pic (IMG_0012) on http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml
and compare with that on http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa.../gallery.shtml

In the S2 pic the lefthand building has terribly soft left edge wheras FZ20 is Miles sharper. However I think the S2 sky noise is more attractive. Perhaps the FZ noise has been oversharpened in-camera?

Also check out the underbelly of the S2 plane pic - loads of noise. In fact S2 seems to deliver high noise in shadows in most of the posted pics. Unfortunately the shadows don't have to be too deep.

Oh help, oh bother. Maybe I'll choose the S2 for the AA batteries and just forget the other arguments.
McBarset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 2:45 AM   #29

I bought my S2 the first day CircuitCity had the unit for sale. I knew it's going to be a bold move as I should have waited for the reviews first. Well, so far I have loved the camera very much. This is not easy to say as I have hadan Olympus C-2100 UZ which I also loved. What won me over with this camera was the feature set: 12x USM lens, image stablizer, 640x480 video at 30 frames/s, flip-out LCD screen, AA battery type, to name a few.

The images have been tack sharp when pictures were taken outdoors. I have explored a lot of functions and compared the image qualities at different ISO, metering, and compression settings just to find my favorite shooting modes. My first impression is forget about the auto or predefined scene modes! These modes will automatically select an ISO based on the shooting conditions. But I cannot live with the noise level of higher than ISO 100 on the screen. For people printing the pictures, higher ISO might not show as much noise. Despite the IS capbilities, I have had ahard time getting decent indoor shots. The only workaround I found is turn on flash and shoot with shutter priority mode. Without flash, any pictures taken at slower than 1/25 second handheld are mostly no good. And with flash on, the camera somehowdoesn't adjust to the flash exposures. I wish it's something I did wrong because it doesn't make sense that a camera of this caliber can't take indoor pictures easily without resorting to shutter priority mode. My other digital P&S do much better job at this.

Over all, I still like this camera despite some of my disappointments stated above. After getting to know the field capabilities of the camera andworking around its weaknesses, I was able to produce some great pictures that I was not able to do before. The S2 is a keeper to me. ;-)

Roger
rl733 is offline   Reply With Quote