Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 28, 2005, 1:42 PM   #1

I just purchased an [email protected] Circuit City in Memphis, Tn an hour ago. The red shirted salesmen didn't know a thing about it. I then asked on of the senior salesmen in the black shirts and he said they came in yesterday.

Also suggest just looking in the glass cabinets in the camera department in case they are there an no one knows for the light blue box.

The camera is somewhat larger than the Panasonic FZ5, but less so than the FZ20.

kellyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2005, 1:45 PM   #2

Sorry, I meant the S2 IS

K
kellyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 7:24 PM   #3

They have them in NY also. The salesman said they came in today. I was tempted, but i'm still deciding between the S2IS and FZ5. Looking forward to your comments, Kellyman - convince me!
Steve2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the info about Circuit City!! I just ran by my local Circuit City (Central Florida) after reading this post an hour and a half ago and bought one of the two they had--they just got them in today. WooHOOOO!
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 3:49 PM   #5
TCB

I'm lovin' my S2...forget about the people who are "knocking" it. Takes great pics in my opinion...better the FZ range of Panasonics

TCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 11:18 PM   #6

Better then the Panasonics? I disagree with that comment...I tested the S2 and Lumix side by side, the Panasonic was better IMO, and it also looks about 10x better...
van_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:11 AM   #7

the S2 pics I have seen so far have been incredibly dissapointing. Even worse noise than the FZ series, with overexposed photos, low contrast, low detai, ,etc. Ihave been very dissapointed.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 2:33 AM   #8

Hi,
How many pics from the Canon PowerShot S2 IS have you seen? Has it had a decent review like at Steve's yet?
Thanks
Greg

Ps. as far as I have been able to tell the panaxonic z20 is perhaps the best ? for a 12 x zoom but it has not decent movie feature. Do you know of one as good that has the fine movie mode? The s2 is sounded promising so I was sorry to hear it took bad pics

my email is [email protected]
thanks
greg_flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:58 AM   #9

Greg,

Yeah you'd be right to be a little concerned, although i'd wait until a professional review comes out on the S2 so you can see how the camera performs under all conditions, but it does seem obvious from those who have just bought the camera that noise seems above average.

The FZ-20 is one of the best long zoom cameras,except for the movie mode it would be a great buy. Maybe the Sony H1 (with 12x zoom) might answer your questions about another fine movie mode. It can take 640 x 480 at 30fps and apparently you can zoom during filming too, the test images look good but the only reservation i have about it is having to change to Sony's Memory Sticks and that it's LCD screen is "under pixeled", for a 2.5" screen it should hav double the resolution at about 200-250K pixels, otherwise you'll have to upload the images to get a nice clear look at them, but saying that this is probably due to it running on just 2 AA batteries so the power it needs will have to be low otherwise battery life will be tiny.

Matt
frythechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2005, 11:21 PM   #10

I just purchased my noisy, high CA not as good as the Sony or Panasonic, S2 ISat www.butterflyphoto.com . I'm sure I'll be dissapointed when it arrives and regret not getting one of the others. :lol:

They have them in stock at $499.

After some shopping, www.zipzoomfly.com had the best deals on those SD thingies.
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote