Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:37 AM   #1

Default Canon A40 "Closeups"

I am in need of taking some closeups of golf equipment at an indoor trade show and would like to hear the best way to accomplish this with the Canon A40 camera. I am not the best photographer and am interesting in the most efficient way of accomphishing this. I recently received the A40 and have begun to experiment with it.

Is there a need to get the macro lens that is available to get the best pictures? Or are there certain settings that would work best?

Thanks in advance.

Gary Mayes
GaryMayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 6:02 PM   #2

Default Canon A40 "Closeups"

Gary, could you tell me what size is the equipment you are planning on taking pictures of? If it is golf ball size then of course you could use the Macro but if it is bags, clubs, gloves, shoes etc then just use the normal settings. If you can borrow a tripod it would make your shots more steady.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 9:23 PM   #3

Rimbo

The equipment is a little bit of everything (golf balls, clubs, bags, etc.) I uess the main thing that I was looking for was what is the best way to highlight and get real close on a particular club design feature of note. The tripod suggestion is good. I have one and should have thought of that.

Thanks for your assistance.

Gary
GaryMayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 3:20 PM   #4

I think 16cm is the closest an A40 gets without buying the adapter ring and closeup lens, which cost a fair sum to do this single project if you aren't going to buy the wide and tele lenses (eventually) as well. If you zoom to full tele with the A40, you can get within 26cm, which should give you a closer view than the wide angle does, but with less depth of field.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 5:10 PM   #5

Default Close ups on A40

I agree with the previous contributor about the distance you can get with the A40. I downloaded the so called patch for this camera as it said my camera needed it, but anytime I try and get closer than the distances mentioned above the image goes out of focus. Try and get as much lighting onto the objects you are taking pictures of and preferably in a quiet area that doesn't have lots of people coming throught it.

Rimbo
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote