Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 14, 2005, 4:18 AM   #11

Have you guys seen some of the sample pics coming from the S2.. E.g.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=13861935

Freakin' awesome.

Note: These are full size shots and takea while to d/l.

Frank DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:16 AM   #12

NEWBIE - my firstpost on the forum.

I take wild animal photographs. Many other people photograph birds.

Often these shots are at dawn or dusk or in dark woodlands.

I would likelong distance [say 100 feet or more] low ambient light focus information on the S2 IS. For some reason reviewers don't seem to cover this. They only seem to deal with short range IR assisted focus.

Shots of a stop sign,words on a sign, the spokes on a wheel etc in low ambient light at maximumzoom would provide the information I am looking for.

Manual Focus ispreferable if it works.

Thanks for any help. I am very close to buying the S2 IS

Thanks,

Bill
wdg123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:30 AM   #13

I too would like some low light focussing info if any of you new owners could help. Just some indoor and long range low-light outdoor info please.

Cheers

YT
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:13 AM   #14

hey stevo mon, is the review imenant? this month? any ruff idea would be handy for wantant purchasers.

Cheers bud
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:37 PM   #15

:sad: Some fellow really trashed the S2 IS over on the zdnet .com site.

URL follows:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4864-65...mp;ctype=msgid

He caught me by surprise as, like him, I am upgrading from a4 year old Olympus 2100c ultra-zoom. The 2100c has servedwell but falls short in picture quality [good for a 2 megapixel]; it has really lousy dynamic range [exposure latitude]; and is unable to be manually focused in low light beyond about 20 feet. Ihad hopedthat the S2 ISwould run circles around it in these areas -- especially dynamic range and manual focus --as well as a few others.Hopefully, for the rest of us,the zdnet fellow just got a lemon.

Unrelated to his comments, I was sorry toread that the S2 IS does not have a hot shoe and has a red eye problem. I may have to reconsider my purchase, as that would seem to severely limits its usage in a modern studio strobe light setting.

Well, I definitely will delay purchase until afterreading Steve's review and his thoughts relative to which isthe best of theultra-zooms.

At this point it looks like we may still be a generation away from anacross-the-board outstanding ultra-zoom.

Bill

wdg123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 6:35 AM   #16

Well I finally decided to just take the plunge and get the S2. It's definately a nice camera and pics and movies to date (1 day old) are very encouraging. My other digicams can't compete on picture or movie quality (a Fuji 601 and a KM Z3).

I bought this camera to replace the Z3 which I found to perform poorly in low-light and produce very "average" picture quality. Though the S2 lacks the focusing speed of the Z3 in bright sunshine (this is where the Z3 does stand out), the focus speed is still very good. And just being able to focus in very low-light and darkness is the massive bonus over the Z3. Also the flash on the S2 outperforms the Z3 in power and recharge time.

Just for info, my main reasons on choosing the S2 over the Sony H1 was

1. Zoom in movie available on the S2, along with wind filter

2. All my batteries and memory from the Z3 fit the S2, saving me a packet.

I haven't yet tried all the bells and whistles on the S2 yet, and really only need a few of them. But having them available will be fun.

Regarding the ZDNet review linked above... not sure what the guy was after, he seemed a bit daunted by the camera and probably had it set to 640x480 if he was getting bad pictures.It is a complex camera with a gazillion different settings and possiblities. But stick it on auto and press the button and you get great pictures.

Let me know if anyone wants any easy tests or checks done.

Cheers

YT
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:34 AM   #17

As per the posting above, I also decided to take the plunge and upgrade from a KM Z3 to an S2 for the very same reasons listed. There are certainly more options available on the S2 and the swivel LCd is nice. The picture quality is better than the KM Z3 which, although it had good metering, seemed to produce silghtly 'fuzzy/soft' shots - never quite sharp as if it had focused ever so slightly off.No complaints with the Z3 just the S2 is better and more suited to what I shoot. Indeed, I was always amazed that the Z3 could focus in low light at all without a focus assist light and its focusing speed in good light was extremely good. The S2 is not as fast, but is OK for me. Both good cameras - just different.
Phillexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:07 PM   #18

and as a complete after-beer thought.... does any manufacturer put a lense thread on anymore, because I'd love to put skylights on my digicams as I do with every other lens I own. Don't they realise these cameras will be handled by young chldren!?!

Yep you guessed it... cleaning small finger-prints off new camera... whose idea was it to have 0cm macro mode!
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:00 PM   #19

To the lower left of the lens (facing the cam) is a button that releases the ring around the lens exposing a bayonet type attachment. Canon sells a lens hood and adapter kit that attaches here and then you can thread in various 58 mm filters. It sells for around $38 and I think it might be worth it. Recently I took my new S2 IS on a heavy duty hike in the Sierras and managed to get my fingers on the lens several times when trying to manipulate the lens cap with only one hand. I also somehow accidentally opened the SD card door (turning the cam off) and also accidentally toggled the on switch when stuffing the cam into theside pocket of my pack with the lens cap captured tight to the camera by the pack webbing. Fortunately, when the lens is unable to extend, the motor turns off, but you can really run down your batteries this way.

While the cammay not be quite as rugged as I would like, I think I will sooncatch on to using it more carefully.The pictures are great, and I haveonly started to learn about how to use the many features this cam has to offer. In particular, I got some great handheld zoom shots of distantvistas that would have been impossible with my previous cam, and themovies are awesome - the sound of a snowmelt-swollen water fall is absolutelyrealistic (and deafening) when played backinstereo on my home entertainment unit.
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 12:48 AM   #20

redshift - would you by chance be able to post some of your wilderness camping pics with the S2?

That is one of the main reasons I bought it and im dying to see some S2 pics in scenic country.
montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote