Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:26 PM   #21

I have some S1 camping shots from last october... but that's not the S2...

I'm going to Alaska next week, that's one reason I've been fighting with myself over which camera to buy. When I return, I'll post the best shots online.

I got the idea somwhere that you're going to Montana, hense the nickname. Are you going to glacier? I've been there. I've done a lot of traveling, and to me, Glacier COULD be the most beautiful place i've been....
akysten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:27 PM   #22

steve wrote:
Quote:
Both the Canon S2 IS and Sony H1 are being reviewed as I type. These two are so nearly identical that we wanted to review them at same time and Sony was slow getting us the camera. Look for both reviews soon - so far only our local weather has been slowing us down - June is the start of hurricane and rainy season here in Florida.
Steve! We luvya, man... but... WOW!! You are KILLING us!! Do you have an ETA on that S2 review yet?

I know, I know... we're just greedy, ungrateful slobs! :blah:

But seriously, we ANXIOUSLY await the review! :angry:
cvicisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:18 AM   #23

""

I got the idea somwhere that you're going to Montana, hense the nickname. Are you going to glacier? I've been there. I've done a lot of traveling, and to me, Glacier COULD be the most beautiful place i've been.... ""

We think alike,

We are going to Montana for two weeks. We stay for one week in the Northern Yellowstone ecosystem.thisis a few days in the Gallatin National Forest near Big Timber, and a few days in northern Yellowstone park itself(Tower Falls, Slough Creek).

The next week we stay entirely in Glacier National Park .We like to camp in Two Medicine(east side)the whole time and do day hikes, etc. I also fly fish as much as possible. Personally I feel it is the most beautiful placeI have seen. My other contenders would be Grand Teton(Wyoming), the Wind Rivers(Wyoming), the Gallatin National forest (Montana) and the Bearooths (Montana). I rank Glacier so high because it has the most diversity, and it seems to be th complete package. If you like fresh water ,forests and mountains it's very tough to beat.

I have been all over too, and the nothern rockies pretty muck take the cake as far as I am concerned.

I highly recommend the Beartooths as well, south of Columbus and SW of Billings. Some awesome scenery in those canyons and up high.

I have been using a Fuji the past few years there and have gotten fantastic results. Im trying to learn this S2 for the trip, but it's not as easy to get good shots out of as the Fuji.

montana500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:12 PM   #24

Montana,

I have posted some pics at the following page (actually 2 pages):

http://groups.msn.com/CanonS2ISPhoto...ox.msnw?Page=1

Keep in mind these shots were all made in the "Auto" mode with auto white balance, and that there has been no post-exposure processing or cropping. In general, the shots including sky or white water tend to be a little underexposed for the landscape portions. I think this could be adddressed by using AE lock during shooting ( a little time-consuming out on the trail), or more easilyby adjusting the contrast post-exposure. I also noticed that when I printed somepics out, the colors were slightly less saturated than they appeared to the eye. This was easily addressed by using vivid photo mode for the printer. Alternatively, I may try using the camera's vivid mode next time.

Let me know if you have trouble accessing the pics.

Redshift
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:38 PM   #25

steve? hows the review coming on?next week????
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:20 PM   #26

It's OUT.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:46 PM   #27
Administrator

Alright already you rabble rousers ... I give in, the S2 IS review is posted :blah:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/s2is.html

and so is the Sony H1 - be sure to read it as well

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...s/sony_h1.html

they both do well, each does something better than the other so be sure to read the conclusions thoroughly. Good luck in your purchase decisions ...

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:37 PM   #28

THANK YOU!!
norava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 2:08 PM   #29

Quick note on the sample pictures from the Canon S2, it looks like there is a stuck pixel at 1929x732.

Tom
tstites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 4:46 PM   #30
Administrator

Well, that will be Canon's problem as we send the cameras back after the review is finished :O
steve is offline   Reply With Quote