Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 4, 2005, 8:07 PM   #1

Does anyone else find it strange that Steve has not yet done a comprehensive review of the S2 IS? I thought that reviewers always received an advance camera of a new model before the product hit the shelves. I can go into Best Buy or Circuit City right now and buy the S2, but I have been waiting for Steve's review before doing so.
Ellis in FL
ellisrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:13 AM   #2
PvB

Steve hasn't reviewed the S2 yet. Nor have the other 4 camera sites that I visit. I expect the review will come this month. Steve has multiple cameras to review (the camera companys don't take reviewers into consideration (expect to have their models reviewed) when developing and releasing new cameras) and reviewing them is time-consuming. Sometimes reviewers do get to look at prototypes, but apparently that isn't often.
PvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2005, 3:24 PM   #3

Yeah and most likely you'll need to rely on the larger reviewers to get those cams in, too. Phil's office over at Dpreview announced a week or so ago they got their model, and I'd be willing to bet Steve has one too, but as it has been said, it takes time to do these things.

Those who do much smaller sites such as myself, don't get review cameras from the makers due to "hit volume". We rely on getting loaners from friends, family, neighbors, coworkers, etc... or just flat out buying them. Hey, my VISA is full! I'm out on this one. LOL

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:19 AM   #4

I am looking for a review for the S2 IS. Can someone tell me where I can find it?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks
pfuedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:34 AM   #5

me too, maybe 'steve' could just say when its likely.Something vague even would do ie.about 2 weeks time
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:08 PM   #6
Administrator

Both the Canon S2 IS and Sony H1 are being reviewed as I type. These two are so nearly identical that we wanted to review them at same time and Sony was slow getting us the camera. Look for both reviews soon - so far only our local weather has been slowing us down - June is the start of hurricane and rainy season here in Florida.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 8:19 AM   #7

excellent news, update mucho appreciated
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:32 PM   #8

I am no expert reviewer but I am loving my S2 IS. I upgraded from a Canon A70. The 12x zoom is awesome...especially with the IS. Moving from another Canon reduced my learning curve a lot. I find the camera does a much better job at figuring out the best settings than my A70. My photos are clear and colorful. I have a 2 week return option but am planning on keeping mine!

If you have a specific concern I can give you my 2 cents. I am not a pro...just a hobbyist!
norava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:40 AM   #9

I love my S2 as well! I bought it a few weeks ago and I have nothing but good things to say about it--I'm still trying to learn all the neat things it's capable of doing and I think I'm going to enjoy it for many years.

The DCResource site rated it right along side the FZ20 for the best long zoom camera, closely followed by the FZ5 and the H1.
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:20 PM   #10

Ello everybody peeps,

Found a review for you!

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml

But you've probably already seen it, hey ho!

Karen :bye:
kdk0408 is offline   Reply With Quote