Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:50 PM   #1

I have been looking for ways to "get closer" with my S1 IS and managed to find a lot of information on a lot of websites
(including but not limited to steve's, dpreview and imaging resource)
Below is a summary of the opinions and infos I found along with some conclusions I formed myself.
I do NOT own any add-on lens (yet) as I want to find the one that will suit my needs the best, so please don't ask for more informations, provide them!:idea:

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS THREAD!!

Canon S1 IS alone
10x optical zoom as we all know, focal length 5.8mm to 58mm.
Conversion factor is 6.55, hence corresponds to 38 – 380 in 35mm equivalent.

Canon TC-DC52A (1.75X) and TC-DC52 (2.4x)
Apparently only for Powershot A series, NOT compatible with S1 IS (blurry images)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8691376
Has anybody found a way to make TC-DC52 work with the S1 IS? 2.4x would be sweet!

Canon TC-DC52B (the "official" TC for the S1 IS)
1.6x magnification (= 610mm equivalent)
Very good quality, compact, lightweight
Relatively wide usable range before vignetting becomes a problem (usable starting a bit over halfway of the upper zoom range)
I ASSUME you lose 2 F-stops with this TC. Can anyone confirm?
Price range: approx. $90 - $150
http://www.blogd.com/archives/001219.html (and next entry, comparison with Raynox DCR-2020PRO)

CrystalVue SharpShooter 8x32
8.0x magnification (= 3040mm equivalent)
37mm thread, needs adapter
Very good quality digiscoping lens but (from email exchange with ckcpower.com) would vignette too much with S1 IS.
With such high magnification (small FOV) the subject is hard to find. Tripod absolutely necessary, forget about IS!
How many F-stops would I lose?
http://www.ckcpower.com/monocomp.htm
http://www.steves-digicams.com/sharpshooter.html
Price range: $150 - $180

CrystalVue LX
8.0x magnification (= 3040mm equivalent)
New product, specifically designed for cameras that vignette with the SharpShooter. Preliminary tests are encouraging (email exchange with ckcpower.com)
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ckc-cvlx8.html
http://www.adorama.com/INKCVLX.html
Price range: available for $190

"eBay cheap teleconverters"
Digital Optics, Konica, Mercury, Opteca, Titanium...
Up to 3x magnification
Short summary: "highly overpriced doorstoppers!"
Price range: around $50

EagleEye OpticZoom
5x magnification (= 1900mm equivalent)
Supposedly causes bad vignetting when used with large lenses (diameter, not zoom)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/opticzoom.html
Price range: over $200, couldn't find exact price

Fuji TL-FX9B
1.5x magnification (= 570mm equivalent)
Matches color of the S1 IS (with Lensmate adapter)
Good quality pictures with a S1 IS
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9629084
price range: $130 - $150

Kenko 8x32
8.0x magnification (=3040mm equivalent)
Not designed to be attached to a camera but comes with a threaded adapter.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/kenko_8x32.html
price: $160

Olympus TCON-17
1.7x magnification (=646mm equivalent)
Older lens, high quality but I don't know how it fares with the S1 IS?
Prone to purple fringing
55mm thread, needs converter
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/FZ-10/Converters/TEST/Tele-Tests/Tele-Compare.html (test shots with a Panasonic FZ-10!)
Price range: $90-$120 but rather difficult to find in stock

Raynox DCR-1540PRO
1.54x magnification (=585mm equivalent)
Very high resolution, 340 lines/mm
Reviews generally favorable but not enthousiastic.
http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr1540pro/index.htm
Price range: $115 - $130

Raynox DCR-1850PRO
1.85x magnification (= 703mm equivalent)
Resolution 200 lines/mm
Prone to CA, not very good opinions.
Price range: $120 - $130

Raynox DVR-2020
2.0x magnification (= 760mm equivalent)
Very blurred pictures, at least with Canon still cameras. Maybe designed for digicams?
Or just bad quality (cheap)?
Price range: $50 - $75

Raynox DCR-2020PRO
2.2x magnification (=835mm equivalent)
62mm thread, needs (included) adapter
Resolution 260 lines/mm
No loss of light (F-stop)!!:shock: Can this be confirmed by an actual user?
According to sample pics works brilliantly with 90IS but strong vignetting with Pro1. Is this weird or what?
Good results with Olympus C-750 (has same focal length as Canon S1 IS, similarly large lens)
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...0pro/index.htm
I found one source saying that it has a relatively narrow useable range with the S1 IS, a little less than 1/3 of the upper range.
Many comments, some good, some bad but I haven't found any actual test images with a S1 IS! PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE SOME!
Price range: $190 - $240

Please reply with any comments, corrections, LINKS, TEST IMAGES and additional infos you may have!
I would like to end up with a "database" of zoom options for the Canon Powershot S1 IS.

Note: Please keep this thread strictly TELEconverters (no WIDE converters please) or the list will get even longer... anyone feel free to start a similar database with WIDE or MACRO converter options!
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:08 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this list.

I too am looking for a teleconverter for my S1. I would like something inexpensive, that loses minimal light, and at MINIMUM has the same conversion factor as my digital zoom (preferably more).

Also about wide (then I'll shut up about it): I don't know that I'd like wide converters that much either, cause, for me, I like to use a wideangle so I don't have to point the camera right at the subject I'm shooting, but I would want to be able to crop and get just as much detail as I would have before the WA. I don't know of anything that will do that. For example, let's say I want a 2048x1536 pixel image of someone's face, and I'm close enough to do that within the focal length range of the camera, but I don't want them to know I'm taking their picture. If I go out to, say, a 6mm (35mm equivalent) focal length in order to get the person in the picture, then I might only get a 40x30 pixel image of their face instead of the 2048x1536 pixel image I had been hoping for.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:20 AM   #3

Hi pianoplayer,
I am aware of your quest for a strong TC (I read your earlier posts on this subject :blah. I think the CrystalVue LX might be what you are looking for (seems to be really good quality) but since there are NO tests pictures with a S1 IS available, I am just too afraid it will still be vignetting a lot. The people at CKCpower.com told me that the vignetting should be acceptable, but they don't have any tests with the S1 IS. They don't recommend the CrystalVue 8x32 though. Maybe you should just give it a try and post results here! I don't thik you will find anything better than this lens for the moment for the magnification you are looking for. Price seems right too.

I'd rather not comment on the WC part of your post. Don't get me wrong, I am also interested in a good WC for similar reasons but I really would like to keep this thread TC ONLY. I have seen too many threads shifting focus away from TC to WC and I really would like to get to the bottom of the TC problem!

Feel free to start a new thread on WC though...

Anybody else have any comments? Come on, 30 views and no other comments? ANYTHING?
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:52 AM   #4

I'd like to try the 'LX, but I don't know of a local brick+mortar in San Diego that carries them so I can try one.

As for the WC (brief) I don't like them cause then i can't crop as close on a subject as I would be able to with a longer optical focal length. If I started with 3 megapixels and a 36mm lens, then I would need 12 megapixels if I was going to have an 0.5x wide converter. I'd mainly use it to not have to point the camera at the subject.
Enough WC though.

So you don't like the 3x ebay TC's, but the 8x LX is possibly good? I'm limited on budget, though. I wonder if there's a way I could get a tube or two and a couple pieces of glass (lenses) and make my own 10x F/4.0 TC for example?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 9:28 AM   #5

First, let me remind you that I don't own ANY teleconverter. I have NOT tried any of them.
This is simply a list of what other people have to say about the different TCs. It's the whole extent of my knowledge!

For me, it simply appears that you need to shell out at the very least $100 for a decent teleconverter (which is dirt-cheap compared to the price of SLR lenses!)

Of course if you want to make one in DIY it may be a nice project, but don't expect miracles. I predict it won't be any better than the lenses you can find on ebay.
Quality has its price, it's as simple as that!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:23 PM   #6

I thought I would bump this thread a bit. I am quite surprised that I hardly got any replies to this long initial post.
A lot of people on this forum talk about the Canon S1 IS and there are many posts about teleconverters, but nobody has any informations to add to my post?! Weird!

Anyway, I did some approximate calculations. I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY TESTED THESE TELECONVERTERS - this is purely speculative!
If I am totally wrong, please let me know... I'd love to hear back from somebody who actually OWNS one of these!

I think the best TC for the S1 IS are either the "official" TC-DC52B or the Raynox DCR-2020PRO. Price difference is $100. Which one to choose?

Consider this:
- The S1 IS has 10x optical zoom. In 35 mm equivalent, the range is 38 - 380 mm.
- The TC-DC52B is a 1.6x teleconverter. In theory, this gives a range of 61 - 608 mm.
- The DCR-2020PRO is a 2.2x teleconverter. In theory, this gives us approx. 84 - 836 mm

So at first glance, the DCR-2020PRO seems to cover a much wider range. HOWEVER, both TCs have of course vignetting issues at the wide angle end.
The consensus seems to be that the TC-DC52B is useable over "a little less than half of the upper zoom range" while the Raynox works for "less than 1/3 of the upper range".
For the sake of argument, let's assume TC-DC52B is useable a bit over 40% of the upper range, Raynox a bit under 30% of the upper range.

This gives us the following effective ranges in 35mm equivalent (I rounded a bit):
- S1 IS alone: 38 - 380 mm
- S1 IS + TC-DC52B: approx. 370 - 608 mm
- S1 IS + Raynox DCR-2020PRO: approx. 590 - 836 mm

In other words, it seems that the TC-DC-52B and the Raynox DCR-2020PRO are not concurrents, they rather complement each other ideally!
This finally resolves my dilemma: I will buy the Canon TC-DC-52B first to get a continuous range of 38 - 608 mm (plus I save $100!) and later, if needed,
add the Raynox DCR-2020PRO to my collection for a possible range covering everything from 38 - 836 mm.

Of course after that, I can always add a Crystalvue or a WC converter, but that's a different story...

Any comments? Does the above sound about right or are my maths completely off? :O

PS: I wonder if similar calculations would also be true for S2 IS owners? (Remember it's 58mm thread vs. 52mm thread for the S1 IS)
It should be possible to use the Raynox DCR-2020PRO and I'm sure that Canon released an official TC as well...
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:03 AM   #7

MCSmarties wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking for ways to "get closer" with my S1 IS and managed to find a lot of information on a lot of websites
(including but not limited to steve's, dpreview and imaging resource)
Below is a summary of the opinions and infos I found along with some conclusions I formed myself.
I do NOT own any add-on lens (yet) as I want to find the one that will suit my needs the best, so please don't ask for more informations, provide them!:idea:

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS THREAD!!

"eBay cheap teleconverters"
Digital Optics, Konica, Mercury, Opteca, Titanium...
Up to 3x magnification
Short summary: "highly overpriced doorstoppers!"
Price range: around $50

Dang you were right, i got one off e-bay for like $25. shipped. What a hunk of junk. I got a 2.0X and there is so much distortion on the edges and blue shadow its not even worth using.

Im gona try the sony 1.7X
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 1:05 PM   #8

Actualy i think the one i got would work better with a canon G series. I think the canon version is also for a G series.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote