Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:30 PM   #1

Greetings,

I just purcahsed a Canon S2 IS and was so completely dissapointed with the "super macro mode" until I figured out that you have to HOLD DOWN (not press repeatedly as the Canon Manual says) to get from macro mode (flower icon) to the flower icon with the "S" in it. NOW I"m happy. Until I find something else I don't understand...

My heart sunk when I tried the macro setting because my ol' sony mavica was better... until I figured this out on my own.. yea me...

Key words: Canon S2 IS Close Up shots Super Macro feature button blurry

Hope this helps you out too...
dbcklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:34 PM   #2

AND YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ON AUTO...
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:21 PM   #3

Yes, that's true. I think the manual most likely says that you have to hold down the button until the 'S' turns into a flower symbol.

I'm not sure why you have to do this 'hold down' thing. It'd be much easier for the user to just use that button to scroll through the various zoom modes.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:48 PM   #4

NO it says "push repeatedly" that's why I bring it up. Pg. 58 reads "repeatedly press the button to display "s" on the LCD monitor. It's wrong! That's why I'm givin' a head's up to anyone who didn't figure this out....

Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:21 AM   #5

It does say to push repeatedly--I tried to get it into supermacro mode when I first got it and couldn't. I finally just gave up and actually forgot about it (can you tell I haven't been too worried about macro pics) I'm glad you posted about this--I tried a few supermacro shots tonight and I really liked it!
brendak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:50 AM   #6

Macro is supersweet... You find beauty in the smallest things that people never notice. Have fun! I suggest trying some flower supermacros first (only cause they don't move) then try instects. Some of my favorite photos are bees and grasshoppers. I never would have guessed that prior to owning a digital..

Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:11 PM   #7

dbcklein wrote:
Quote:
NO it says "push repeatedly" that's why I bring it up. Pg. 58 reads "repeatedly press the button to display "s" on the LCD monitor. It's wrong! That's why I'm givin' a head's up to anyone who didn't figure this out....
That's really nasty. I can understand how you'd feel, when all you're doing is following the instructions. Unbelievable how they can give the wrong instructions like that.

In my Canon G6 manual...(different camera)...it says to hold down the button. So it's really incredible how they could allow such important instructions to be in error for the S2 manual. Definitely a no brainer on canon's part here.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:11 PM   #8

I also forgot to say. I really agree with you that super macro mode is cool.