Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:19 AM   #1

Default Urgent question about A40

First I really need an opinion about the CANON A40 picture quality and its performance because I want to replace my Fuji A200 by a CANON
Second I have a question... does the A40 has a PC-CAM mode and can I record movies on it without the sound because it really eats up the memory card
Any response would be appreciated, thank you
:shock:
Xe£onth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 9:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Urgent question about A40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xe£onth
First I really need an opinion about the CANON A40 picture quality and its performance because I want to replace my Fuji A200 by a CANON
Second I have a question... does the A40 has a PC-CAM mode and can I record movies on it without the sound because it really eats up the memory card
Any response would be appreciated, thank you
:shock:
no pc-cam mode that i know of. and no way to turn off sound in movie mode.

i am very happy with the pict qual that i have seen. still new to me -only about 1000 picts so far. there appear to be some QC issues around - but should be able to see this with your particular camera very quickly and return it. low light focus is an issue - but not only with this camera. i would purchase the a40 again for the money. if i were planning to spend $500+ instead of the $220 i spent, i would make a different choice.

all the best to you in your decision
cmanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:29 PM   #3

Default Urgent question about A40

Xe£onth,

I agree totally with the previous contributor. You cannot switch off the sound on the Canon (I have an A40), but why don't you purchase a larger memory card, 128MB or even a 512MB? How long are you intending your videos to be? The rule of thumb here is that shorter videos with a beginning, middle and end are appreciated much more than one's that go on and on and on etc.

As regards picture quality, two points. Reasonable pictures indoors under adequete lighting otherwise dark, grainy, out of focus etc. Outdoor shots on clear, sunny days - very good, as long as you get your main subject in focus.

Rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 3:07 PM   #4

Here is the major issue with the A40 for which exchaning the unit is the only solution so far:

http://www.pbase.com/mentorron/a40_focus
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:54 AM   #5

Looking at <http://www.pbase.com/image/12425464/original>, it's not clear that it's just a blurry R.H. side problem - it seems as if the camera has trouble resolving areas of 'random' detail in the right half of the photo, as in the bushes at the right, but also as in the the finer detail in the branches of the main tree, near the centre of the photo.

A bit like the fur on the cat in your photo <http://www.pbase.com/image/12425334>

Definitely not good!
valsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 11:58 AM   #6

I agree, but unfortunately from what I read from another user who returned his camera to Canon, they only seem to address major issues which are repeatable. There can be many reasons for tree branches to be less than perfectly reproduced: too high or low a contrast, astigmatism, chromatic aberration, etc. For instance they will not accept as proof that another digicam by another manufacturer takes sharper pictures consistently (same price range) of the same scene. I have found the same situation with Fujifilm. It took me two tries to get them to replace a replacement camera they sent me. I had to find two totally different situations that highlighted the same problem (one edge less sharp). The 2nd replacement Fuji sent me is fine, so it proved that my contention wasn't subjective (just my opinion) but objective (factually proveable). I believe that we all deserve the best a certain camera design can achieve, and not be persuaded to accept lesser quality. I believe it is all just a matter of lapses in quality control and/or production line tolerances being too sloppy. As I have mentioned in other threads, no one that I know of has ever had to contend with this in film based cameras (unless they were $15 toys).At this point in the development of digital still cameras, I feel that a $400 camera should (at least) have similar features and quality control to a $100 film based camera; that a $3000 digicam should be equivalent to a $750 film camera.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 2:35 PM   #7

Well, I guessed right...Canon Repair Depot returned the A40 as "No trouble found" !!! They said they cleaned fingerprints off the lens !!!
Well, we discussed it with the retailer's customer service and will return the camera to the retailer (they agreed), and they will get us another.