Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:39 PM   #1

Default Teleconverter or Zoom?

A recent trip to Mexico shooting Mayan ruins and wildlife with my Canon SLR has convinced me that when I buy my first digital I will need at least a 200-280 telephoto.

I'm struggling between buying the Canon G3 with a 4-times optical lens and adding a teleconverter and something like the Nikon 5700 or the Fuji S602Z (I don't like the EVF on the Olympuses) with built in zoom lenses.

Unfortunately, the Nikon and the Fuji lack many of the features of the G3 (e.g., AF assist, remote, powerful battery, panorama stitch). And WHY did Nikon design a camera without the ability to add filters?

My questions are: Will the quality of the G3 with a 1.5 teleconverter be that much poorer than the Nikon or Fuji? Will the 4MP capability of the G3 make up for that?
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:32 PM   #2

Default Teleconverter or Zoom?

Dano,

What kind of subjects are you intending to take pictures of with such a large telephoto lens?

Rimbo
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 8:11 AM   #3

Rimbo:
280 mm isn't really that big. I was in Celestun filming flamingos and all I got with my 80 mm was bright, pink blobs. An Italian with a 300 mm zoom was complaining even she couldn't get close enough.

For those interested in the Nikon filter issue, someone on a Nikon forum posted the following:

The Nikon 5700 does take a filter if you use the filter adaptor from
NextPhoto. I have a Hoya moose filter on mine for outdoor photography and love it. A link to the nextphoto site is below.

http://members.rogers.com/nextphoto/

Unfortunately, this means you have to add the Nikon adaptor, then the NextPhoto adaptor, then the filter. A lot of steps, extra weight and cost. To make matters worse the NextPhoto site says that Nikon has now changed their adaptor and the NextPhoto one won't work with it anymore!! Is the Fuji any better?
Old Jan 5, 2003, 2:39 PM   #4

No one has really answered the questions yet. Does anyone have any experience with the G3 and a teleconverter vs. the Nikon 7X zoom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano
My questions are: Will the quality of the G3 with a 1.5 teleconverter be that much poorer than the Nikon or Fuji? Will the 4MP capability of the G3 make up for that?
And does anyone have any opinions on the pluses of the G3 (e.g., AF assist, remote, powerful battery, panorama stitch), which are not available on the Nikon?

Thanks,
Dano