Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:44 AM   #1

I recently purchased a Canon SD500 for my wife.Overall, she is very happy with it, excpet for pictures taken indoors with the flash.Most of them are very underexposed. Especially those taken in larger rooms, like a wedding, party etc.Does anyone have any experience with the Canon HFDC-1 add on flash for this camera?How much of an improvment can I expect with this.She realy wants to keep this camera, but as it stands now, she can only get good pcitures takenĀ* outdoors.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 3:47 AM   #2

I purchased the HFDC-1 flash for my SD500 and they work really well together. My once problematic, dark pictures are now properly and evenly exposed thanks to the external flash unit.

If your wife is going to be taking pics in low light conditions then I definitely say go for the flash unit, it's well worth it.
flightofancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3

JohnS,

The built-in flash on the SD500 is known to have a 'weak' flash. It's been documented in several reviews. One obvious solution is to get as close to the subject as possible. I know this is not always possible, but does help the overall exposure of the intended subject. When taking indoor shots, does she use the 'Indoor' scene mode? This will help with the overall tonal and white balance of the shot.

Good luck,

redjr...
redjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4

Same problem here. I guess my camera isn't a "defect" after all. I will have to look into the external flash.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:13 PM   #5

Elphman wrote...

"I hate to say this, but I'm afraid the SD500 is going back. If you compare the SD500 to the older Elph series cameras (i.e. S400), the difference in picture quality is night and day. No way the SD500 is worth $500. Perhaps the predecessor to the SD500 will be greatly improved."

I thought you were unhappy with the 500 and going to return it? You never mentioned any 'weak' flash problems. Just curious....

redjr...
Old Jun 21, 2005, 1:19 PM   #6

Elphman,

I didn't notice your earlier posts today regarding having better success with the 500. Hope you decide to keep it. Have you decided to keep it?

redjr...
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:07 PM   #7

I can't agreed more, use the indoor scene mode to shoot indoor, pictures came out will be very much better overall, I have tried lots of times, no complain at all.
Still love my baby, SD500.
cheers.
Ramakristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:23 PM   #8

I'll try to take a few pics this evening with and without the external flash so you can see how much of a difference it will make.
flightofancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:45 PM   #9

Looking forward to seeing the pix.Thanks!
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:21 PM   #10

redjr,

Yep, I'm keeping mine. I'm starting to really like this camera. BTW, in regard to the external flash it's not that cheap, at least not IMO. Canon's brand cost around $120 for the low end to $379 for the top of the line model.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote