Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:55 PM   #11

Last sample (this is actually quite good IMO; then again, could be better I suppose).

Question, have you tried taking night shots with your SD500, if so, how have they turned out? Any suggestions on how to take decent night pics (i.e. downtown) and indoor pictures without making them look exagerrated or unnatural?

Attached Images

Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:06 PM   #12

The last one is much better.

A quick suggestion that might help. When I got my Powershot S70, I noticed that it sometimes takes a while to focus. While focussing it is entirely possible to take the picture before the camera has focussed. I found I had to wait a while until it had done it's thing. The last picture looks really sharp, maybe this could be what is happening?

As for night shots, I'm going to download the manual and give you some tips later on tonight.

Best of luck.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:38 PM   #13

I'd say return it. I had a similar experience with an A75, everyone raved about it but I didn't like the pictures it produced, which funnily enough are very similar to the ones you post on here.

Blown highlights, very bad purple fringing, over bright greens, and the greens always looked soft to me. "Cartoon" like colour when taking shots of foliage, (for heavens sake don't shoot something white sitting on the grass,my A75 refused point blank to take an acceptable picture of this) and a good 1/3 of the shots came out blurred or soft, where there was no reason for the shots to be like this.

I ended up going over to Minolta, and have been very happy with the results, maybe you should try looking at their Gxxx range?

No matter what people or reviews say, it's what you think matters, and if you don't like what you see, no matter what you read or hear about won't change what you see.

I'm glad my store offered full money back guarantee after 14 days, I always ask what store's return policies are now.
asellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:48 PM   #14

Here are two more pictures I took today in San Diego. The flower shot I got to admit is my best shot ever, though it looks a little "fake" IMO. When you blow it up to 100% on your pc monitor, you can really see the fine rich details of this flower. For some reason when I used the macro shot mode for other flower pictures (a little less sunlight beaming on them), they still came out out of focus (after I backed off the zoom until I got a green bracket).

Also, beach shots are still coming out a bit soft. Maybe a vivid mode would solve this for very bright settings? I will haveto test it out.

**I shouldpoint out thatmy picturesare coming out a bit softwhen I upload themon this site (as well as when using Microsoft photo editor);Canon's zoombrowser and arcosft photbase all produce muchricher detailed pictures.

Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:50 PM   #15

Here is a pic of some buidlings overlooking the boat dock. Please let me know what you think. I haven't utilized any special photo effects; only adjusted the EVF mode.
Attached Images

Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:20 AM   #16

I cannot speak on the quality of your camera but for macro shots of flowers there are a few issues which may improve your pictures. First of all flowers are in constant motion if there is any wind at all so get your pictures in calm periods (early morning is usually best). Secondly, avoid direct sunlight, it makes the contrast too high. A third point deals with the problems inherent in macro photography, the depth of field is usually very shallow and a hand held camera can waver out of correct focus very easily, resulting in soft prints, a tripod or monopod would help here.

Here is a sample taken with a 3MP Pentax Optio 33L in direct but somewhat difused sunlight:
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:16 AM   #17

I had a similar experience with two Sonys which I bought and returned in favor of the Canon S70. On top of that, the first S70 I got had a bad white balance...everything had a bluish cast no matter what the setting or evenusing the manual white balance. I was going to try the SD500 but it really did not impress me, so I tried a second S70, and it is just terrific. You may just have a lemon, but you might be running into the technical peculiarities of the model itself, hard to tell. I would return this one and try another. If that is bad, you might want to look around, or wait until the next generation of them comes out....( I have a personal theory that it is a LOT harder to get 7MP cameras to behave themselves well from a technical standpoint, and that is a lot of the problem. On the other hand, I am very very pleased with the resolution of the 7MP's when they are designed right; it really makes a difference in my finished photographs.) Below is an example taken with the S70.
Attached Images

jalywol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:00 PM   #18

Here are a couple of handheld Macro shots from my SD500[img]file://localhost/private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.mail.drag-T0x40a160.tmp.NbvWlK/IMG_0036.jpg[/img][img]file://localhost/private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.mail.drag/IMG_0035.jpg[/img]
solsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:53 PM   #19

It's justa shame that Canon's top of the line Elph model failed todeliverhigh quality pictures it was supposed to produce. I'm sure though Canon is currently working on the next generation SD camera; I'm thinking same 7 MP, but more advanced and better image quality. BTW, forget about taking great night pictures, especially buildings in downtown.

Here is my final pic I have to show to everyone.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:01 AM   #20

Jalywol and Monza76, awesome shots! Your pics prove that the SD500 is just not that great of a camera. :O