Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:51 PM   #1

Does anyone know if Canon intends to upgrade the S70 any time this year?
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:09 PM   #2

I doubt it, there is no decent sensor to replace it. The S70 came out very soon after the S60 because the 5MP sensor was not so good if I remember correctly.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:52 PM   #3

As far as I'm concerned the S60's 5mp sensor was very good... And I'd be expecting a successor to the S70 rather soon, probably towards the end of summer or begining of autumn.

They don't need to increase the size of the sensor and the number of mp to make an upgrade. Actually I'f they'd make a 5mp S series camera with better performances, faster and low noise high ISO(800 or 1600)... That camera would surely be awesome!
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

Hello,

Just saw theS70 on sale for $394.59 atBuyDig.com and $425 at Dell. Doesthis suggest that the camera is being discontinued and that a replacement iscoming soon?

Thanks.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:12 PM   #5

Yesterday, I saw one at Comp USA as a managers special for $320. They had no more in stock and I asked for a rain check, but was told they don't plan on getting any more since a new model is expected soon. I was going to buy the floor model, but they would only give me another$20 off.I didn't think that was enough for an abused display camera.
RicKaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:20 PM   #6

I guess it stands to reason that since I just bought one, a new model is coming out soon. The image quality of the S70 is fine, but some of its other features sorely need updating. The competition (and other Canon models) are ahead in terms of things like focus speed (especially low-light), battery life, USB speed and movie modes. The ergonomics could use a reworking as well - get rid of the lens protector on/off switch and improve the grip area.
gordondn is offline   Reply With Quote