Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:48 PM   #11

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to get myself a Canon S2 IS, but now I'm not so sure anymore. There seem to be a lot of problems with the Canon brand. I have looked at some other brand forums (eg Panasonic) and there is nowhere near as much complaints about quality. Is that just maybe because there are so many Canon users and so few Panasonic users?
Actually, thePanasonic forum has 44,993 posts in it compared to 10,337 in Canon's. Look for yourself, in Digital Cameras.
slick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:22 PM   #12

All that must mean is Panasonic users must just like to talk more than take pictures...

Actually, if you consider all the OTHER categories (digital SLR's, lenses, external flash units, printers, scanners, etc, etc), you'll probably find the total number of posts related to Canon digital/photographic equipment to be well above Panasonic, which is strictly a one trick pony when it comes to photograhic equipment. It probably wouldn't take much of a downturn in this line of their business to run Panasonic out of this market, aka Kyocera.

Without even taking Canon's digital offerings into account, there are probably more Canon cameras in use today made before 1995 than there are Panasonic cameras in existence today. With that many users, the chance you are going to have some unhappy owners is much more probable, and the chances of me considering a Panasonic camera today are as likely as it was in 1995 (hint- I'm not even sure any type Panasonic still camera existed in 1995).

If I want a TV I'll look at a Panasonic. If I want a camera I'm going to buy one from a camera maker. Canon makes a lot of other stuff, but they've been making first class cameras for decades. That makes for a lot more satisifed than unhappy users.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:41 AM   #13

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
All that must mean is Panasonic users must just like to talk more than take pictures...

That is perfectly wrong, Mr Chappell!!! !!! !!!

Please enter the Panasonic forum and see how many posts with POSTED PICTURES in comparison with complaints or suggestion or cheatty posts.

It seems that FZ 1, 3, 4, 5 10, 15, 20, are at least a bit "happier" than Canon ones.

I like color outputs in Canon A and S cams, and also the possibility to use NiMh stilos.
That's all.

After Olympus UZi, Panasonicsince FZ10, has completely dominated the UZ market.
Canon is still running behind it.
S2 can take great pics, but also my 200$ Canon A300 can.

Now that FZ30 is ready you can only hope it has some noise more than S2: it is going t oblow away S2 and Pro 1, although I am sure the last one still has better IQ.

But where is Canon competitor of Nikon CP 8800 and FZ10-20-30?

When will Canon be able to do that, and how much will it cost?

I currently read Pana forum (have a FZ20) and there are so many shots from guys which, after a few PP, can turn a 3-5Mp FZ shot into a dSLR-like one.

You S1 (andS2) guys have also made great things (I d bought a S1 id it was not so bad in macro) but believe me, Lumix users are having the same if not more fun than you, and less problems.

Narmer

Attached Images

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:49 AM   #14

Another one from FZ20 + Nikon 6T

So Greg Chappell, make photos not useless, falsestatements about things you have no experience of
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:54 AM   #15

This is getting childish....

All I know, is that I made up my mind about what camera I wanted after reading a panasonic brochure. I was sure it would be a FZ camera. Then I read some reviews, and saw that the FZ5 was the perfect camera for me.

While thinking it over, I read some more, and actually began to feel sad when I found out "my camera" was not as good as the S2. Luckely, I had not bought anything yet, so I rather bought a S2.

Horses for courses. You like your FZ, which is a great camera. I like my S2, which for what I use it for, suits my needs better.

As the Pana's use a leica lens, the comment that Canon has been in the game longer is null and void. Both Canon and Pana thus has long running optics experience. The digital sensor market is rather new, and as far as I know, both of them has been there from close to the beginning.

As for the fact that Pana users post more pictures.... you guys seem to be forming some kind of clique. While the rest of us post in the general photo forums, you post in your own little forum.

To summarise, both Canon and Pana are good. If you want to compare cameras, fine. If you want to go on a "my brand is better than yours" crusade, rather keep it to yourself.

This thread was started to find out just how many Canon users are experienceing problems, not to rant that one brand is better than another.

I for one dont want this thread to continue in the way that it is going now.

EDIT: Those are great photo's. Why not rather post them in the "close up" forum?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:38 AM   #16

I have problems with a white spot showing up in all my photos. It was like that out of the box, and now I have to pay to send it back so they can take 2-3 weeks to fix it.

Love the camera, I understand that problems happen, but customer service is horrible. Yes it is their written policy taht you send it in at your own expence... but why should I have to be inconvinenced by their problem?
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:30 PM   #17

Hi carrots,
be happy with your S2 and hope it is one of those many cameras which will never have a problem!
This is a strange discussion and I think sometimes, that people might start to buy a certain brand just to be a member of a specific community.
Hope we see us on neutral ground, but the closeup forum is not very responsive...
Good luck to you

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:48 AM   #18

Yes, Carrots, maybe too childish

However I was not replying to you, but to Mr Chappell, who told we FZ users like to talk more than taking pictures... so the pics were only to reply, for I had already posted them in the Panasonic forum.

I am the first to admit that both Canon and Lumix UZ have some pros and some Cons and one choses the model of which he mostly likes the Pros and least cares for about Cons.

The truth is that FZ5 and S2 are very very similar, with Lumix having slightly better res, less PF/CAand lighter and S2 with twistable LCD, better colors and WB and far more features (and also batteries, I prefer stilos).

On the other hand, Canon has not yet entered the market of "non compact" UltraZoom like Nikon 8800, Samsung Pro 815 and Lumix DMC-FZ30.