Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:15 AM   #1

I wanted to get myself a Canon S2 IS, but now I'm not so sure anymore. There seem to be a lot of problems with the Canon brand. I have looked at some other brand forums (eg Panasonic) and there is nowhere near as much complaints about quality. Is that just maybe because there are so many Canon users and so few Panasonic users?
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:49 AM   #2

It seems to me Canon are one of the more popular brands. They produce good pictures, and generally have a very good build quality.

If more people buy something, you raise the chance of someone complaining about it. Panasonic don't sell nearly as many cameras so I would guess you will hear less complaints.

The only surefire way for something to break is to buy something that is way too cheap. My first two digicams were Kodaks, and as pleased as I was with the results (for the cost), it just didn't cope with the level of use I gave it. I took several thousands of pictures on one of them, and I guess it was designed for more casual use.

The Canon S1 IS seemed to be a good camera (from reading user reports) so I guess you should be pleased with it.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:37 PM   #3

I agree. I like Panasonic too, but Canon is my favorite brand. I own a Powershot A70, a Powershot S1 IS, a Canoscan N650U, a Canoscan N8400F and a BJC 610 printer and I'm quite happy with all these devices.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:45 PM   #4

Well, here's the thing. Canon may sell more cameras than say Panasonic, but when you start hearing the same complaints consistently from different users, you know there's a problem. If people were complaining about different issues, ok. But the thing is, is that their complaints are consistent.

Having said all that, I am not impressed by the picture quality from other brands' cameras and I only want a Canon. Nowif they could make a camera that didn't have a defect!!

:|

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5

The other thing I have noticed is that one person will talk about a problem in many different threads and forums. You read all the topic about a certian camera and find all kinds of problems only to find out that one person posted the same thing in four different places and two people talk about the problems they heard about. Now you have six posts about a single problem.

Just a problem with online message boards, I see the same thing in car forums.
dbrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 4:13 PM   #6

Hi,
quality und warranty policy have to fit user needs.
I own(ed) an A70 which did a good job, but it broke twice (you know E18....).
This camera had no stress whatsoever.
After two years canon wanted the full (!) costs for the second repair.
Bad luck, just wanted to buy the S2 IS.
Canons behaviour looked like cameras have to survive only for two years, allmost similar to cellular phones?
Now I am lucky with Panasonic, and there is still Nikon, Fuji,......
Canon stands at the end of the row!

If there is an extended warranty at Canon, take it and be happy!

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:10 PM   #7

I have the Canon S1IS and I like it alot, the next camera may be a Panasonic since a lot of my electronics are by them. We'll see when the time comes to replace my camera what my needs will be.

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 1:41 AM   #8

Well, I bought a S2 over the weekend, all the buttons work, and the LCD hasnt spontaneously cracked (yet), lens cap sits just tight enough, picturesseems good enough,so I'm happy with my purchase.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 4:34 AM   #9

Carrots wrote:
Quote:
Well, I bought a S2 over the weekend, all the buttons work, and the LCD hasnt spontaneously cracked (yet), lens cap sits just tight enough, picturesseems good enough,so I'm happy with my purchase.
Congratulations on the purchase. Maybe upload some photos, or link to your online gallery if you have one.
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 7:19 AM   #10

I have owned Canon cameras since 1978 - from FD to EOS & now have:

300D, EOS-3, Elan 7, Canon Lenses - 20-35USM, 50mm 1.8II, 28-135IS & 75-300IS. No complaints here. Would like to add more, but $$$ needs to go towards a New computer tower.

Enjoy your new S2-IS.

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote