Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:08 AM   #1

I just upgraded my Canon S400 to a SD500 and I am having some major problems. 75% of my photos are blurry. The only shots that are ok are close up shots. It seems the auto focus is not working well at all. I even turned the AIAF off. Is anyone else having this problem? Do you think it could be a bad unit? I am taking it back today and dont know if I should get a second SD500 or go with a SD400 or another canon model. I do want to stick with canon.

Samples:

waqxings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:28 AM   #2
bjh

Could it be camera shake, especially if you're using the LCD screen to compose your shots.* Using the optical viewfinder and holding the camera with two hands both help in holding the camera more steadily.* B.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:00 PM   #3

I can relate to what you're saying, but my pictures haven't come out as nearly out of focus as yours (perhaps you got a defect one). Regarding the first shot, there is a scenic mode you can select to capture kids & pets which is sort of like an action shot mode. In low-light situations, you definitely need to enable the flash unless you have a tripod.Otherwise, you are going to see a lot of blurry pictures (what mode do yourely on mainly?)And so the bad pictures you got are probably due to that reason alone. Then again, I haven't been overly impressed with the SD500 (you can see some of my sample pictures in another post in this forum). What I've been noticing is that a lot of my pictures showed purple fringing, lacked the nice saturation of colorsas well asthat "sharp and snappy" pictures I noticed with my older S400. It just seems the older S series produced superior quality pictures contrast to the SD series cameras. Speed wise (startup time, shot-to-shot), the SD series wins hands down not to mention its size, if this is important to you.

I don't want to discourage you from giving this camera another shot, but I for one havegiven up on the SD500. It just didn't quite deliver for me.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:15 PM   #4

Hi,
I believed it culd be camera shake or when you zoom in to shoot. I have these problems until I try avoid using zoom to shoot, pictures will not come out sharp, no way after I tested a few shots.
Or worst still, it could be due to camera defect, as you mentioned all pictures came out blurry.
Took some shots visting a zoo.
Attached Images

Ramakristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:18 PM   #5

Feel the animals knew what they are doing when I toook this shot.
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:21 PM   #6

Is this elephant doing a balancing act or stretching out to get rewarded ??
Took this shot in auto mode.
Cheers.
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:12 AM   #7

Ramakristan, nice pictures. Were they taken using the SD500? As I had mentioned, the SD500's been a mixed bag for me. I found that when comparing to my old S400, the SD500 fails to capture the nice details I was accustomed to seeing (i.e. backdrop images of trees, branches, leaves- colors look washed out, muddy; beach pictures tend to come out more soft and a bit fuzzy than the S400). Also, the issue with purple fringing is just too prevalent. It is why I'm selling the SD500 and keeping the S400.

But then again,for the general consumer who just wants to take simple pictures they will be more than satisfied.
Elphman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:10 PM   #8

This is the exact same thing I'm getting with my SD500...blurry, out of focus, soft pictures. I prefer the shots out of my old Olympus camera better.
chocko5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 10:35 AM   #9

I just purchased the SD550 and I am a bit disappointed. I find when it takes a good picture the image is excellent. Unfortunately, one out of 5 is a good picture. Others are blurry, noisy, out of focus, etc... I find the AiAF usually chooses the wrong part of the frame to focus on. Also another big problem is I find the flash just way too powerful for indoors for up-close shots, especially in automatic mode. When using the flash indoors taking pictures of people, I find faces get "washed" in bright light and loose all detail. I have tried various manual settings to get around this but have not found a good solution yet. Flash may be good for subjects at a distance, but not close.

In fact, the day before I bought the SD550, I bought the SD400 and was also disappointed. But after trying the SD550 realized that the SD400 was a better choice. Now I am trying to return the SD550 without having to pay a $75 "restocking" fee at Best Buy.
takk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 10:20 AM   #10

So after refusing to pay the $75 "re-stocking" fee to return this camera to Best Buy. I've been using it for about 4 days. I have to say that every day my pictures look better and better. I think I am just learning how to work around its limitations (low light, focus issues, camera share, etc...) Yes, I still get some blurry shots, but the one's that are good are absolutely spectacular.

- Max
takk99 is offline   Reply With Quote