Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:20 AM   #1

Default weak flash?? halo like exposure in flash shots

I just got my G3 a week ago and I am noticing that all the pictures that I take with automatic/flash have a kind of halo-ish effect where the corners of the image are considerably darker than the rest of the image. The problem seems to get better when I adjust the flash intensity, but you can't adjust it in automatic mode. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
furrymumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:14 PM   #2

Does this effect happen only at full wide angle or do the corners darken at tele end as well?
It is known that with a "between the lens" shutter and a wide angle lens, that both these factors contribute to darker corners. The shutter starts opening at the middle and ends up closing in the middle, so the corners are the points where the shutter is open for the shortest period of time. Also lenses and flash units both have "light dropoff" toward the corners, especially with the small flash units that are built-in to small cameras.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 4:39 PM   #3

Hi there! Thanks so much for your reply, I appreciate it!

The corners are darkened pretty much at any zoom, wide angle or close up. I didn't think I would get such a difference in the corners though....this never happened with my old Nikon Coolpix. I don't want to have to buy another flash unit for the camera since I won't be taking any professional level shots, mostly I'll be using the automatic feature. What do you think? Thanks!!!
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:30 PM   #4

Have you checked the 4 major review sites to see if the sample pictures they took with flash have the same results as yours?
I'm assuming you checked Steve's samples. Did you also check DCRP, Imaging-Resource, Megapixel sites? Have you compared your unit's pictures against any other G3 at a local retailer?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:58 PM   #5

Hi there,

Thanks again for your reply. I've checked all those sites you recommended and none of them seem to comment on the problem because they say an external flash unit will usually eliminate the problem of uneven flash exposure. Is there a way that I can upload one of my sample photos with this problem to the site so people can have a look? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:22 PM   #6

You can register for free with www.pbase.com and set up a photo gallery there, then give us the Web address of your page.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:14 PM   #7

Here is the URL for my problem shots: I'd appreciate any input as to how I can prevent the darkening of corners. Thanks!

http://www.pbase.com/furrymumu/g3_problem_shots

**These photos were all taken in low-light settings with automatic flash.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:54 AM   #8

Looks like a case of "flash falloff". It is typical of many small cameras with small flashes. They don't quite cover the width of the picture they capture, especially at wide angle (and it is compounded by the leaf shutter as I mentioned previously). The white wall doesn't help: it just makes it more pronounced. Also in pictures 2 and 3, you are at an angle to the wall, so the left corners are somewhat darker than the right since it is farther away: light falls off at the square of the distance. Pictures 1 and 3 are best because number 1 is taken at 90 degrees to the wall so both corners are at the same distance, and number 3 due to the fact that a moderate telephoto setting was used, which is easier for the flash. I agree that for a camera at the price level of the G3 it should be almost unnoticeable. My Fuji FinePix 2800 has less than that. Can't you exchange it for an identical model? At least compare it to a similar model at a local retailer.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 6:16 AM   #9

Default weak flash?? halo like exposure in flash shots

Furrymumu,

I agree with the previous contributors with the problem being flash falloff. The flash is concentrated in the centre of your pictures and gets weaker as you get to the edges of the pictures. I've noticed the same thing on my Canon A40 but you could try extra lighting, you probably have all the lights on in the place you took those pictures but in case you didn't, use ceiling lights to get an even spread of light coming down the ways.

rimbo 8)
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:12 AM   #10

Hi again,

Thanks for your responses. Now I know what to call the phenomenon. I've had a Nikon Coolpix 950 prior to the G3 for several years now and it has never produced a shot with "flash falloff". I figured the G3 should be a better camera since it's much newer and I've only read good reviews on it. I'm waiting for another G3 from the same place I bought the first one - hopefully it was a problem with just that specific camera.

I will keep you updated. Thanks again!