Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1

If you haven't tried it, highly recommended.

Obviously: 15" exposure, highest ISO, open the lens up as far as you can and use a tripod. Manual infinity focus works well.

To my suprise, it split the first double in Epsilon Lyrea (forgive the spelling if incorrect!) quite easily in a very VERY light poluted area! Can't wait to drive to the country and try again.

Does anyone else do this? Anyone know of a telescope adapter for 58mm threads?

PastorJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:13 AM   #2

PastorJeff wrote:
Quote:
If you haven't tried it, highly recommended.

Obviously: 15" exposure, highest ISO, open the lens up as far as you can and use a tripod. Manual infinity focus works well.

To my suprise, it split the first double in Epsilon Lyrea (forgive the spelling if incorrect!) quite easily in a very VERY light poluted area! Can't wait to drive to the country and try again.

Does anyone else do this? Anyone know of a telescope adapter for 58mm threads?

I've used my S1 for this purpose. I attach a Raynox DCR-250 super macro lens to the camera and then attach to the telescope adapter with the 49 mm theads on the front of the Raynox lens. Here are a few samples:

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:10 PM   #3

I use to do some urban astrophotography back in the day with my Canon A70. I used an afocal mount that I purchased from Scopetronics (http://www.scopetronics.com). They're quite popular for this kind of stuff. Indeed it's quite fun and rewarding for certain objects. It's even more fun when you remotely connect to your camera and play around with the settings to try and capture a good shot (although nothing beats the human eye!). There are a lot of tips and tricks you can learn over at Cloudy Nights too (http://www.cloudynights.com/). It's worth checking out.

Unfortunately now I have a DSLR and I pretty much need a whole new setup to get anything worthwhile. Sigh… =)

Nice shots George. I'm curious as to how you got both the moons and Jupiter without overexposing Jupiter, or did you take two shots and merge?
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:02 PM   #4

TheGhost wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots George. I'm curious as to how you got both the moons and Jupiter without overexposing Jupiter, or did you take two shots and merge?

Exactly. To get the right exposure on Jupiter, the moons don't show. When you use proper exposure for the moons, Jupiter is way over-exposed. Combined the two shots with PSE.
GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 2:30 PM   #5

WOW guys. I am amazed. Thanks for the sites! Can't wait to do some reading!

PastorJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:56 AM   #6

Great combination GeorgeNC. The pics are impressive.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote