Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2003, 1:24 PM   #1

Default lens cap, etc.

I just got off the phone with Canon regarding the fact that my lens cap will not stay put. Their response?! "hold the camera upside down with moving it. If the cap stays on, it is fine"!!!! I laughed - sorta, as this does not solve my problem in the least. I could hardly believe what I was hearing! Do they expect users of their cameras to never move? My other concers are those I see expressed often - shutter speed and seeing the lens through the viewfinder. I admit I am a new user to this type of camera (you can't count the Sony digital with the slide-in disk ) and have lots to learn. I have tried to used the continuous shooting to eliminate not getting the shot I hoped for when in groups of people shooting. But this means I get to delete lots and that is a bother. Anyone else having trouble with Canon service?
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 1:30 PM   #2

Default shirley re lens cap msg

Meant to say without moving" - but guess you could figure that out.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:18 PM   #3

You don't say which model you own...most Canon digitals have a built-in lens protector that slides in front of the lens when you power off.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:32 PM   #4

Default Canon G3 lens cap

Sorry, guess I was laughing so hard at their reply I didn't express myself too well. It is a G3 and I am surprised at their attitude and comment, I guess.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:19 PM   #5

I have had Canon cameras for over 20 years and have only dealt with Canon 3 times: once for a CCD hot pixel problem in a camcorder 12 years ago, once to get a manual for a used Z-85 point-n-shoot several years ago, and once to get info on a PowerShot A40 problem last month. In all instances I was satisfied with the service I received, and the professionalism of the staff I dealt with. The camcorder had to go back twice, as the 2nd CCD had problems as well, but no complaints from Canon. They told me of a local repair depot that had manuals for the Z-85, and suggested my friend get the retailer to swap the A40 for a focus issue. I currently own a Canon A-1, EOS Rebel S, Z-85, UCS-1 Hi-8, Z90W, and my wife has another older Canon P'n'S. Except for the initial problem with the UCS-1, all cameras have functioned perfectly.
I'm curious why you included the fact that with some small cameras, that you can see the lens housing through the optical finder. This can be seen before purchase, so shouldn't be an issue. Either you hate it and buy something else, or accept it and live with it. Every camera has some feature(s) that you may wish were different, but that's true of almost anything, including people. You pick the one with which you can accept the compromises made with the design. I chose Fuji for both my digitals, and accepted the design limitations on both: flash too close to the lens, and marginal low-light capabilities.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 5:04 PM   #6

Default re: response to my lens cap problems

Thanks for your comments - however, the camera was a gift, the gentleman on the phone was not the least bit interested in solving the problem and the solution he did come up with seemed a little too little to me. But, I guess that is why there are forums - to voice different thoughts. Perhaps, however, you could have said what you had to say a little less harshly. I feel the camera company is basically good and as I said, I like the camera. However, the service regarding something so very small seemed to lack the necessary help. Thanks anyway for your thoughts - sure you don't work for Canon?
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:37 PM   #7

No, I don't work for Canon, but I like their products...very reliable once you get past any initial 'bug'. I also like Fuji and Nikon. I am "on the fence" about Olympus, due to chromatic aberration issues that have been widely reported. I have had no problems with Canon Canada, as I indicated. I assume you were dealing with Canon USA. Have you tried calling them back...maybe you'll get someone else this time who will be more helpful. It's a free call in Canada..assume it is in the States also. You can also ask to speak to a supervisor if you are unhappy with a tech.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 9:57 PM   #8

Actually I did get in touch with the Canon service people via email and they "have forwarded my concerns to the appropriate department". I started out with the forum just to see how many others had difficulties with that particular model's lens cap. I see a few others have had the problem also. But I thought it amusing, if bothersome, that Canon had people that responded like that. But I will make sure I continue on with Canon until I get a reply I can be satisfied with and use. I am sure they are aware of public opinion and will do what needs to be done.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:08 PM   #9

The cap on my G2 fits very well, almost seems suctioned on. I think the g3 physically is a step back from the G2, the G3 seems a bit cheap looking to me. At least when I look at it, I don't say I gotta have it over the G2. The G2 just looks and feels so solid, the lens cap on mine could never fall off.
sportster is offline   Reply With Quote