Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 10, 2003, 5:19 PM   #1

Default HELP! S230 Print Quality What is the best setting to dev 4x6

I have had my s230 for over 2 mths now and can NOT get a flawless print. I have tried shutterfly, photoworks, wal-mart, etc and all have come back w/ grainy/boxy print line. I email photoworks and they told me that it was their printer. My friend has a Nikon Coolpix and her picts come back flawless (from the same developer)

My question is... what is the best setting for dev 4x6 digi photos? I have tried the higest settings (L 2048x1536, S-Compression) and also the (M1) Setting with no luck. Is it better to have the "normal" compression rather than the "S"???

Someone please help!!!
davedave231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 10:14 PM   #2

Default Not sure

Something doesn't add up there. I have the same camera, use the same services (shutterfly, WalMart) and my prints are usually razor sharp. I usually shoot at the settings you indicated (highest resolution, least compression) and it works out great. Certainly nothing that could be called grainy.

Are you doing anything to the pictures before you send them to shutterlfy? Editing them? They should be roughly 1.5MB in size each, if you have the resolution right. If you crop them they will get granier.

Is it possible you are using the digital zoom feature of the camera? If you are, that can make your pictures alot granier.

Other than that, i'm not sure what it could be.
dzane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:38 AM   #3

That is odd... I have not touched the files before I sent them to get developed. My file size is also around 1.3 MB.

You are using the least compression out of the three settings?

(ie... there is a quarter circle w/ a (S) (Nothing) and (Choppy Quarter Circle)

I have been using the "L" Resolution and "S" Compression. Will lowering the compression print better pictures?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:59 AM   #4

S) is the lowest compression setting on the S230. L)argest resultion (3.2MP) and S) compression iare the setting sI have it set on all of my shots and mine look fine printed on 4x6.

Photoworks sucks by the way. Their prints are blury and the color is often off and over saturated Try Ofoto, a little bit more expensive but the quality is better the Photoworks.

Grain can be caused by the CCD imager trying to compensate for low light when set for AUTO ISO or for 400. Try setting the ISO to 50 or 100 and see if that helps. But be aware that at 100 or slower, you have to keep the camera super steady.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:03 AM   #5

How do they look on the screen? If they look fine, they should print fine. Maybe post some for us to see.
sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 1:27 AM   #6

They look great on the screen and my computer. It may just be Photoworks... I have noticed that the color does suck. I will try another company and see what happens.