Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:17 AM   #1

Default Recharging in New Zealand

I have a Canon S230 and want to be able to recharge the battery in New Zealand. I understand a regular adaptor used for hair dryers etc. does not work.. is that true? Do I need a transformer and what type? Help... I also wanted to charge my Palm V over there... Thanks . P
pattaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 5:09 AM   #2

pattaps,
New Zealand has a 230 volt, 50 hertz (cycles) electrical system which is different than the 110v, 60hz system used in the US. If your existing charger is rated 110-240 volt, 50-60 hertz you can use it (with a simple plug adapter). However, if it is rated 110-120 only, you can’t use it without an AC power transformer (which will probably cost you more than a new charger, and definitely weigh more). Also keep in mind a transformer will not convert the cycles (from 60 to 50 hertz) which may damage your charger &/or batteries.

The power rating & cycles of your existing charger should be clearly marked on it.

Bottom line, DO NOT use a simple plug adapter (which simply allows the plug to fit into the outlet) unless you are very sure your charger is rated for 230 volts and 50 hertz.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
R.
R_Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 4:31 PM   #3

The back of my Canon CB-2LS charger states the following:

Input: 110V-240V AC 50/60Hz
7.5VA/100V-10.5VA/240V
Ouput: 4.2V DC.5A

Hope this helps.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobshell
The back of my Canon CB-2LS charger states the following:

Input: 110V-240V AC 50/60Hz
7.5VA/100V-10.5VA/240V
Ouput: 4.2V DC.5A

Hope this helps.
Supposedly the Canon charged rated for use in both voltage standards (110V N. American Std. and 240V rest of the world). Canon obviously was smart enough to make it so it works worldwide (and I'm sure it saves them money from a production standpoint).

Don't forget, you still need a plug adaptor, which you can get an a travel store, Office Depot, or at most gift shops at airports.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote