Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:23 AM   #1

Which SD card for "better movies with S2 IS" ?

or

Is there any difference at movie performance with 80X or 133X?

Form spesifications I think the camera can (max) capture 5,5 mb/sec (movie + capture)so do I need 20mb/sec or does it affect?

schrodingersdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:41 PM   #2

I use the Sandisk Extreme II and have no problems using continuous shooting as long as I want. I've heard of a lot of problems with Canon and Lexar so I'd avoid Lexar.
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:33 AM   #3

Thank you Louddog, the movie performance is important for me so I wonder

what is the top effective speed for S2 IS memory cards? (...mb/sec for movie + capture)
schrodingersdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:23 AM   #4

A Sandisk Ultra II seems to be more than enough for [email protected] fps (quality=fine) movies - at least on my Powershot S1, which seems to have the same movie modes as the Powershot S2. In addition the interface of the SD cards of the S2 is slightly faster than the interface of the compactflash cards of the S1.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:14 AM   #5

Hi there,

My Kingmax Platinum are working really well!

Karen :bye:
kdk0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:51 PM   #6

I bought two of the 1 gig Extreme III cards when I bought the S2, but after having compared them to the performance of the Extreme II 1 gig cards bought by a friend, I can't find a bit of difference between them, other than the fact that I paid about $14 more for each of the Extreme III cards. I think the Extreme III might be overkill for the current crop of cameras, considering it's price. Then again, if you get the bug to buy a new camera every year or two just to keep up with the latest crop of awesome features offered (I do), the extra $14 for the Extreme III card might be worth it, as the Extreme III will most likely have the write speed needed to take advantage of the DIGIC3 and competitive chips when they hit the market in the next batch of digicams.

The choice is yours, but I don't think your current S2 will notice at all.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 2:23 AM   #7

I got a "normal speed" 512mb card for my S2. I can take a series of 25 max quality (SF L)photos in high speed mode before it slows down. I have also taken about 1min 30 sec's movie of 640x480 30 fps (dont know if it was fine or whatever)with 44khz stereo sound and noticed no problems. I could have gone on filming as well if I wanted too. Will do a test and let you know by friday if I can fill the memory card with the movie at that quality.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The normal speed should be enough, but if you want to play it safe, the next fastest should be more than enough.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:55 PM   #8

I have a normal run of the mill sandisk 1GB card annd I can record full unlimted quality video without an issue. I haven't tried high speed stills.
ldreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:29 PM   #9

I've been using Kingmax SDC-001G3L 60x 1 GB SD cards (about $70) and have been very pleased with them. I've used them in both Panasonic DMC-FZ20 and Canon S2 IS with great results for both movie and rapid fire stills at full resolution and minimum compression. I've shot at least 50 consecutive shots in the high speed mode (~3 shots per second) on the Canon S2 IS with no slow down at all. The longest video I've shot so far was about 2 minutes. The movie quality of the Canon S2 IS is comparable with what I get with my PV-GS15 MiniDV camcorder - very good.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote