Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 18, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1

This little camera rocks. I love the super macro mode. At the link below you will see what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/dexterslabmi/canon_s2_is

I was truly torn between the S2 and the FZ5. I have to admit that I was taken by the styling and size of the FZ5. But the S2 is winning me over more and more every day. Features that I was not banking on to make a difference really do.
  • Flip out LCD [/*]
  • Battery Life [/*]
  • Super Macro!!!!![/*]
I have a D70 that I shot with a lot but I wanted something to travel with and take decent pics. I really wanted VGA quality movie mode on my handheld and that was the final factor in my decision making process. I used it (movies)on my Fuji s640 and I know that I will use it on this one as well. The camera feels really good in my hand and is very comfortable. I am not a fan of the silver body or the lens cap but nothing is perfect.There are so many modes and gadgetsI often forget how powerful this little cam is.

I am trying it out right now in Asia ..... did not want to lug around the D70 this time. The flipout lcd and macro mode made it easy to capture butterflies and the battery life means that I am not charging batteries everyday. Check it out... it is an all around winner.

dexterslab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:39 PM   #2

Flip and twist screen is a must. I love the macro mode ane the zoom. Also, the high speed shooting works great and is so handy.

However, check my thread about my sensor problem. Check your photos, hopefuloly it's just my sensor with a problem.
Louddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:21 AM   #3

It is funny to hear so many people saying they prefer to carry around a FZ5 or a S2 rather than a D70 (or 300-350D, 20D... with lenses) !

I have a FZ20.
FZ30 is going to blow away Canon S2 (or better FZ6 will, if smaller).

But I agree that battery life and using NiMh stilos is far better than LiIon proprietarybatteries.
Also Canon Colors and WB are better than FZs'.
Smaller res on S2 but less noise too.

I suggest to but a Nikon 6T lens for your macros: with adaptor and step ring it makes you focus at full 12 but from about 20cm capturingthe same (or more?) area but without being over the subject (butterflies often fly away) and eventually allowing the use of the flash.
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4

I confess. I am an idiot. I cannot figure out how to get my camera into "super-macro" mode. The manual saysto press the macro button "repeatedly" to display the Super-macro function symbol. No luck. All I end up doing is turning macro on and off on and off. A little help?

Also, when shooting in macro format, how close can you get? I just got the camera, turned on macro, but the owners manual about 3 to 4 inches in front of me and the camera will NOT focus on the text. I pressed the shutter button to focus, but nothing. Help me out guys! It's driving me bonkers!!

Thanks.
chino_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:45 PM   #5

Ya, press repeatedly is wrong. Just like it was worded in the S1's manual too. :roll:

You have to hold the macro button in for a few seconds. That will do it. You'll see the little "S" inside the flower pop up. And I think you have to be in a mode other than auto for it to work.

Oh, and I was able to put the camera lens flat onto my LCD monitor screen and it autofocus and take a perfect picture. It's amazing.
ndtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:03 PM   #6

YouÂ* can only use super macro in certian modes - p, tv, av and m I believe.
ulu feke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:10 PM   #7

Yea, finally got it. It was the whole stupid instructions that canon gave. You know, "press repeatedly" freaking morons.

How about this, anyone have a solution for the crappy crappy lens cap? I was looking for like a rubber cap that can slip on, but haven't found one. Thanks guys.
chino_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:08 PM   #8

Glad to hear that you got the super macro mode working right. It's a pretty impressive tool. Also, consider buying the converter/lens hood adaptrer, and the 58mm close up lens from Canon. It does a fine job of letting you get reasonably close to a subject while zoomed to full telephoto setting.

The lens cap problem is easy to solve. I like the lens cap, as it stays put when it should, yet pops off when you turn the camera on if you forget to remove it first. Still, it isn't as secure as the old fashioned type, and lots of people complain about it. The easy answer is to buy the cheap Canon converter adapter, a UV filter, and a standard 58mm lens cap. I use the UV filter most of the time, as it protects the camera lens, and is easy to keep clean, but even if you prefer not to use it, the entire assembly could be looked at a a push button lens cap that will not fall off by itself, and will not interfere with the camera lens when you turn the camera on.

I think Canon should include one adapter/lens hood kit with the base camera. It would only add about 10 bucks to the price if it was packed in the box with the S2.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:57 PM   #9

dexterslab wrote:
Quote:
This little camera rocks. I love the super macro mode. At the link below you will see what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/dexterslabmi/canon_s2_is

I was truly torn between the S2 and the FZ5.
I amon the ***exact*** same fence.:?

The only thing that is holding me back from buying the S2 is a littleslow on the autofucusing I've read about, compared to the FZ5. What are your experiences.

I'd appreciate hearing ASAP, I'd like to buy a camera real soon. My Fuji bit the big one, I'm having withdrawals.:-)

Joe Fisher
Teacher, K-8
Kalispell, MT

Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:19 PM   #10

Sorry it took me so long to respond Joe... I was out of the country for a while. And actually the trip is going to be the basis for most of the current feedback. My earlier observations were limited to "filming" stills/static objects. Asia was the perfect backdrop for testing the S2 and its ability to capture true colors, focus speed, proper exposure, etc.

In terms of the focus speed, it was just a little slow. Many of my ideal travel shots in asiarequired a responsive focus and quick framing, these sceranios were a challedge for the S2. I wish I could have capture more candid life shots of the locals. However if the subjects were not moving or static, the S2 was dead on everytime. Again the flip out screen was used more times than I can count but a number of my shots were comprimised with the focus speed. Don't get me wrong I still got hundreds of great shots and a few are posted here at http://www.pbase.com/dexterslabmi/philippines , but I was a little turned off by the speed. Exposure on overcast days were also a slight problem for the camera. Otherwise everything else was great.

My decision (S2 vs FZ5) was swayed in the beginning by the VGA movie mode and the flip out screen. After taking this trip, my decision might be different. I have read all of the concerns around the battery and color of the FZ5... I can buy and extra battery and I can correct color in Photoshop. I can not however re-capture a shot that is gone becausefocus is a little slow.

Dexterslab...

dexterslab is offline   Reply With Quote