Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:07 PM   #11

I wrote Canon and here is the response:

"Dear Brian

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry. Please be assured Canon strives to manufacture products of the highest quality. First-rate production and quality management technologies are utilized during the manufacturing process to ensure product excellence. As a result, our products may be used on a consistent basis with confidence; our SD-series PowerShot camera models are free from inherent issues. In addition, Canon Canada Inc. supplies a manufacturer's warranty for one (1) year from the date of purchase against manufacturing defects when purchased from an authorized dealer. In the unlikely event repairs are needed, please be sure to retain a copy of the bill of sale. Please note that Canon Canada Inc. does not offer nor honour extended warranties. You may wish to contact your dealer of purchase and inquire if they can offer you an extended warranty. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to email us or visit our customer support website at http://www.canon.ca
Sincerely, David M. Technical Support Representative Customer Information Centre Canon Canada Inc. http://www.canon.ca/digitalphotography"
----------------------------------------------------

You wrote: I have heard a lot about the SD series having many LCD problems w/ spontaneous cracking due to temperature changes, etc. I was wondering if Canon was aware of this problem or taken any measures to ensure the satisfaction of their customers with this issue. Also, is the LCD cracking issue specific to a certain model line? ie. SD300 only etc. thanks
Liquid_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 5:16 PM   #12

I work at a digital camera store in Canada and we've had 2 SD cameras come back with cracked LCD's. The first was dropped a foot or so onto a table top and this caused the LCD to crack up the middle. Canon says they'll fix it...for $400.

The second was recently dropped in a similar situation. short fall to a hard surface, lcd cracked right up the middle. I don't know what they're doing about that one.

While 2 is a small number compared to what we've sold so far, it just means that the other people have been more careful and lucky with theirs so far.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 7:36 PM   #13

ScaryFast wrote:
Quote:
I work at a digital camera store in Canada and we've had 2 SD cameras come back with cracked LCD's. The first was dropped a foot or so onto a table top and this caused the LCD to crack up the middle. Canon says they'll fix it...for $400.

The second was recently dropped in a similar situation. short fall to a hard surface, lcd cracked right up the middle. I don't know what they're doing about that one.

While 2 is a small number compared to what we've sold so far, it just means that the other people have been more careful and lucky with theirs so far.
Did those cameras have other noticeable damage from the fall, such as chipped paint-coat and scratches on the camera body? Both of the cameras you mentioned were dropped. But other people have the LCD cracking problem when the camera is in mint condition.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:42 PM   #14

FUD got the best of me. Hoodman HSLR-3
Attached Images

tommytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:45 PM   #15

And with the hood. Which you don't want. All it does is show the poor resolution of the LCD. The price was right from onecall so I thought I'd try it.
Attached Images

tommytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:39 PM   #16

I recently bought a new SD500 and on the first day I took it out with me it has ended up with the cracked screen problem mentioned in many posts. I've had many didgital cameras over the years and used them in cold and warm climates and carried them in my pocket, but have never had this happen. I thought I may have done something that I shouldn't have, but after reading of other people's similar circumstances, I believe the camera is flawed or at the very least far to sensitive to normal every day use. I've yet to see what the seller or Canon will do about it.
robbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:42 PM   #17

I recently bought a new SD500 and on the first day I took it out with me it has ended up with the cracked screen problem mentioned in many posts. I've had many didgital cameras over the years and used them in cold and warm climates and carried them in my pocket, but have never had this happen. I thought I may have done something that I shouldn't have, but after reading of other people's similar circumstances, I believe the camera is flawed or at the very least far to sensitive to normal every day use. I've yet to see what the seller or Canon will do about it.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 6:43 PM   #18

Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:58 PM   #19

The more you talk about it, the worse it get.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:58 PM   #20

The more you post, the worse it gets.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote