Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:39 PM   #1

Hello
I just got myself a Canon S2 IS and its scheduled to arrive on July 26 (cannot wait).
I have been looking around for a nice case/bag for this camera. So far cannot seem to find a nice case/bag.
Would really appreciate it if you guys can recommend me a nice case/bag for my camera.
Things I am looking for:
-may be a hard case caz i DO NOT want to damage my camera, or may be soft if it has enough cushion so that it can prevent any damage to the camera in the event of an accident
-i would like a case so that i can put in all the accessories too (extra battery, charger, SD card) but please do not hesitate to recommend a case just for the camera itself.
-i has to look good too :-)

If this topic has been covered before i do apologize, i did try search but could not find anything.

Thank you, appreciate any inputs
s2is88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

I have a LowePro EX120 case. It fit my S1 IS and now my S2 perfectly if you take out all the velcro compartment pieces. It has 2 other zipper compartments for spare batteries, AV cables, and memory cards. It also has a beltloop if you choose to carry it that way. A testament to its durability was when I accidentally left it outside during a thunderstorm and while the outside of the bag was soaked, the camera never got wet! It was under $15 at Best Buy.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Shou...ic/EX_120.aspx
ndtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

ndtinker thx for the suggestion

come on, so many ppl with S2 IS and yet so little suggestion...
you gotta give this wicked camera a nice home :-)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:19 PM   #4

I don't know what the deal is with this forum - as many people are on here and ask questions hardly anyone ever responds or does much of anything. I've only been on this board for a few days but it seems so slow to me. Maybe it's just the Canon section?

COME ON PEOPLE! WAKE UP!!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:52 PM   #5

hehehe, now lets not flaming each other :P.
i guess most ppl here professionals and question like these dont interest them.

ndtinker, LowePro EX120 seem to do what i want it to, but the looks.... do not really like it, just the overall look
may be tad on the BIG side, but great suggestion thou.

Old Jul 24, 2005, 11:49 PM   #6

It is a little big of a bag but it's built so well it doesn't bother me. It really feels solid in your hands like you could play football with it and everything inside would survive. It's probably about 4 inches too tall but I figured I'd have this bag for near forever so whatever camera or something else I might use the bag for it would be able to handle.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:16 AM   #7

I asked the same question in the misc accesories section, and got no reply. That was more than 5 days ago. I read in a different thread (searched for "bag") and people suggested the Nova 2 (I think) for the FZ5 or FZ20.

A local online digicam dealer suggests the LowePro D-Res 40 AW for the S2. I haven't yet found one in a shop, so cant tell you how well it is suited.

I looked at the LowePro Edit 110 in a store, and is a very nice fit for the S2. Maybe a little to small for te charger though.The cheapest one I found though (when converting from Rands back to $) was $37. Found an edit 120 at a different store for $16.50, but they had no stock, so its just that other store thats too expensive.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:39 PM   #8

Hi. I just purchased this camera and I love it so far. I went to Best Buy and bought the LowePro Rezo 110 AW for the camera. I compared it with the LowePro120 and found that I liked the 110 more. They were both selling for $20.00. It holds the camera, spare batteries, charger, and memory card pretty easily.

If you have a large charger you might want to get the 120 which is a slightly bigger bag. The reason I opted for the 110 was due to the fact that is fit everything I had perfectly and I thought it was designed slightly better. Either would make a great bag for this camera.

Philip
pzirkle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:40 PM   #9

I also just bought my S2 IS and went shopping for a new bag. I was not able to find the Lowepro models mentioned above, but I did find what I think is the perfect bag for this camera. It is the Quantaray QC-BN ($20) which I bought at a Ritz Camera store in our local mall. I don't believe a bag could be a better fit if it had been designed specifically for the S2. There is a zippered pocket on the front that is just right for 4 spare AA's and a smaller zippered pocket inside the flap of the larger pocket that is perfect for a couple spare SD cards. I'm not sure how available this bag is if you don't have a Ritz store handy. I checked on their website to see if it is listed there and it is the very last bag listed if you do a search using Quantaray bags. It does not list it as a QC BN, but the store ID stock #, 441662491, is the same as on the card that was on the bag.
This is for the camera out of the box and not with any adapters, filters, etc.
Ellis
ellisrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:48 PM   #10

I bought the Tamrac system 3 model 5603 camera bag for my S2. It's mid to large in size, but it has many good features. It's tough, it had a weatherproof outer shell, it has good foam isulation that keeps it safe from too much direct sun, as well as drops of a couple of feet. The various pockets are well laid out, and the interior can be confugured to suit almost any setup you desire in a few minutes. It cost around fifty bucks as I recall.

Here is what it keeps ready on hand for me. The S2 with the lens adapter, a UV filter, and the lens hood sit in the upper level, and is well protected. The high power flash fits in a pocket next to the lens.The tele converter with it's own adaper, as well as the wide angle converter and it's adapter sit in their own foam lined pockets, and are ready for use. An S400 lives in a lower compartment. A multi card reader and USB cable live in the front zip flap pockets with the battery charger for the S400. USB and video cables for both cameras are located in the front zip compartment flap pocket. A slide out stiff pocket carries a spare battery for the S400, 8 charged AA batteries for the S2, and a spare gig of memory for each camera. A set of often used 58 mm filters, and a homeade 72 mm polorizer adapter for the Tele converter fit in the lower level of the main case. The top cover has an inside pocket that holds the user manual, a pad, a pencil, a white/grey card, tape, and other needed stuff.

The zippers are strong, the strap rings are stout steel, and there are three strong plastic clips and some Velcro to backup the zippers. I'm pleased with the case, and can attest to the fact that if you are caught in a lengthy downpour, the contents of the case will stay dry. It's not a small case, but it suits the size of the S2, as you can keep the entire compliment of accessories in it without it being too heavy, or too bulky to carry all day long.

I'm sure other brands are just as good, and will have worthwhile features. Still, this bag is as sturdy and well designed as any other I have used over the past 35 years of toting cameras.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote