Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1

hi

Just taken delivery of my new S2 IS.

Already noticed a smudge on the lcd (not sure if I put it there...probably).

What's the best way to clean these LCD screens ?

thanks

swayzak
swayzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:22 PM   #2

swayzak wrote:
Quote:
hi

Just taken delivery of my new S2 IS.

Already noticed a smudge on the lcd (not sure if I put it there...probably).

What's the best way to clean these LCD screens ?

thanks

swayzak
Here's some good information....

http://www.carlwebster.com/LCDCleaning.htm

Just don't use things like windex. I'd rather go with the ultra-soft cloth method dampened with mild soap water. Give the screen a ultra light wipe where the smudges are, then use another part of the cloth dampened with CLEAN water to give it a wipe down. It's extremely important to use absolutely clean and absolutely ultra soft cloth.....or else you'll simply end up scratching the LCD, so that the LCD could end up worse than having a smudge on it.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:33 PM   #3

Hmmm. I understand the concern for squirting any liquid on the LCD, and having it seep into the camera, but I have used Windex and similar brands to clean LCD screens on everything from PC and TV monitors to portable DVD players, to camera LCD screens since the first LCD hit the market without any problems at all.

I prefer to spray the cleaner on a soft cleaning cloth (or soft toilet paper) first, and then bring it to the LCD screen. That gives me control over excess liquid finding it's way to the borders of the screen. My S400, and an earlier Casio pocket cam have some serious nicks from sharing a pocket with keys and coins for a couple of years, but the screens are clean, and there are no dead pixels to be found on either camera. I use the same method to keep the screen on my S2 clean as well.

It's just my opinion, but Windex on a cleaning cloth works like a charm at the task of keeping an LCD clean and film free without scratching it, or damaging it in a chemical manner, even if you clean it a couple of times each week (as I have done for years). The key is not to drown the screen by sparying it with any cleaner (including water) directly. Spray your cleaning media first, then gently clean your LCD.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:56 PM   #4

I wouldn't use windex at all, because it does contain ammonia, and it wouldn't be too good if the LCD screen starts to turn white or go hazy. If that does happen, then it's actually irreversible. Probably better not risk that chance. Too risky.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:47 PM   #5

Well, it contains Ammonia-D (whatever that is). Still, I have used Windex and similar products to clean LCD screens of all kinds since the LCD hit the consumer market. That was a long time ago, and even though the types of polymer used to face LCD screens has changed over the decades, the change has been to make the surface more resistant to environmental damage. Meanwhile, I have never observed, nor have I ever been presented with evidence that Windex will cause harm to an LCD screen. Most people don't hang on to products that sport LCD screens for 20 years, as technology improvements motivate them to buy new at some point.

Can anyone who claims that Windex will cloud or otherwise ruin the outer surface of an LCD screen on a camera provide something in the way of evidence other than supposition or the classic urban legend? No offense, but I cannot believe that every LCD screen I ever owned just happened to be immune to the deadly effects of Windex and it's competing products for years, while it supposedly destroys the screen on everyone elses camera.

I'm not looking to pick an argument with anyone. It just seems strange that decades of successful casual habit seem to conflict with dire warnings against using Windex, yet I have never seen any real evidence to support the claims. I have seen some soaps react with the plastic surface of LCD's. I have heard rumors that solvent based cleaners like PineSol can cloud some plastics, but I have never, ever observed a negative effect from a glass cleaner like Windex.

Voyager
Old Jul 30, 2005, 11:18 PM   #6

That's fine actually. I didn't say that everyone should not use it. I just said that I wouldn't use windex on LCD screens at all. I just take into account of some plastic manufacturer warnings about using products containing ammonia on plastics. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

And there is information that suggests not to windex here in this link.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7295957/

Many other people warn against it, and not all of them are parroting from other sources. So only use windex at own risk, despite warnings from many sources.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 1:12 AM   #7

Kenny,

Let's agree to disagree on this one. I still maintain that Windex is the primo LCD cleaner when used properly, and that there is no reason rooted in chemistry to avoid it. I'm not aware of any warnings from plastic manufacturers supplying the LCD market to avoid using Windex or similar products, and the link you provided was that of a news outlet that was promoting sponsor products, and made a passing remark about Windex possibly causing scratches. Excuse me, but what are they smoking at MSNBC? There is nothing abrasive in Windex. Years of application of Windex as a cleaning agent will not cause any harm to the plastic surface of an LCD screen, and will only serve to keep the thing looking clean and new.

The urban legend lives on...

Voyager
Old Jul 31, 2005, 9:00 AM   #8

Voyager...please note that your comment about 'let's agree to disagree' has a problem with it. The problem is that nothing in my posts contains anything to be either agreed with, or disagreed with.

I'm just saying .... only use windex at own risk, since there are many sources out there that advise against using it for LCD screens. Many sources out there. And hardly, if any sources out there that recommend windex....even though windex is such a well-known product.

You also mention that you used windex and similar products to clean LCD screens on a variety of things, like computer related equipment. But these are the items that many sources advise about not using windex for cleaning.

So, it's hard to say whether you're BS'ing everybody here, or you're telling the truth. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt of course. But it was just important to indicate that many sources advise against the use of windex for cleaning LCD screens....even though you mention that it has never failed you. Maybe it really doesn't damage the LCD screens. If not, then please, it is equally up to you to provide evidence from many sources that support it.