Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:01 AM   #11

More updating...

I had sent a mail to Canon support of Australia... and.. recived a reply ! and quick one too!!! (although I live at the other side of the globe!). It had restored my confidentwith Canon....

This is their reply:

Your email suggested that you are having problems with two or so 1 Gig memory cards with your Powershot S2IS. You did not however mention any brands or if there was a problem with previewing the shots on the camera. The S2IS is capable of understanding memory cards up to 2 Gig in size, but we cannot guarantee the performance of all brands of memory cards. Canon Australia recommends the use of the Sandisk brand.

In anothe thread here, some people were having problem also with Sandisk card, however, I am going to try and change to this card. It will take some time - but will keep you informed....

Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 7:27 PM   #12

Scenario 1: File is 900 mb large. I tried to copy using supplied cable directly connect to WinXP Pro, file Explorer goes into not responding state

Scenario 2: 2 files stored on card, FileA: 260mb, FileB: 520BM.
I could copy FileA, but not FileB (file Explorer goes into not responding state
)

These are in reference to movie files. I am moving pictures over with no problem, but don't have the sizes or numbers.

Card: Sandisk Ultra II SD, 1gb

marimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:12 AM   #13

I sorted out my problem (so far so good) by connecting the camera to another USB port. The two different USB ports both connect to the motherboard using the same method. So far the one works, the other not.

Strange but true.

It might be that the front ones are a bit worn, and heat up a bit when transfering a lot of files. Hell, I dont know. Its the only thing I can think of, although it doesnt realy make sense.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 1:20 AM   #14

Thanks Carrot for updating - it does make sense... usualy, when people have some problem with a device which gives error when connected to USB port - the first advice is to try and plug it to another USB port. Had myself a similar problem with MP3 player....

As for my updating... got the new 1 GB Sandisk card - few days of trials... and no problem yet !!!
Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 1:54 AM   #15

gidday

had same problem with card reader in front usb's -computer(intel xp-pro) tells me not enough power and to plug in elsewhere

plugged into back of computer-beautiful

cheers dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:10 AM   #16

Hi,

I also have problem downloading large movies (larger then 200-300 Mb) from Kingston 512 SD on my XP Pro, however full card of photos or smaler movies goes fine.

I tried everything and only solution for me is to cut the movie in 2 parts (on camera).

I must say that this is not too important to me (i dont use video at all - noticed it after 1,5 month of using it). Tried diferent cameras, computers, USB ports, 512 mb cards and software - all the same.

It seems if you have the file larger then half of your card (or something like that), explorer 'goes in not responding state'.

I personaly think that it is bug in camera software (firmware).
menika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:14 PM   #17

I have a really dumb question for you guys...are you using USB 2.0 or 1.1??

If its 1.1 I could see how you mightbe getting some errors (even though 2.0 is"supposed to be"backward compatible)
AVITWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:37 PM   #18

Must be a problem with sd cards with cameras, I have an S1IS with CF cards and no problems. I have a 1GB Sandisk SD for my PDA and have no probs.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:02 AM   #19

roxydog wrote:
Quote:
gidday

had same problem with card reader in front usb's -computer(intel xp-pro) tells me not enough power and to plug in elsewhere

plugged into back of computer-beautiful

cheers dom
Kinda confirms my suspicion that it is the USB ports. On some computers, not all of the USB ports are not "POWERED" usb ports. Usually the front 'easy to get to' USB ports are not powered ports. Some USB devices demand more power (thus why some usb hubs require an external power supply). Most USB ports on the rear of a PC are powered.

My guess is that there isn't enough power to copy all of the files (especially larger files or larger qty of files). Plug the USB device or camera to the rear USB ports and it should work fine. But... you never know.. Just my guess.

Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 2:19 AM   #20

Heh heh, so far everyone has been wrong in their assumptions as to what the cause could be (except maybe for pagerboy)

The ports on my PC are USB 2.0, as is the camera's.

Also, the front USB ports (that do not work with the camera)connect to the plug on the motherboard right next to the plug the back ones(that work)do. So they are identical. The USB ports that are on the motherboard itself, next to the PS2 ports, are not working correctly either.

My 16MB card I got with the camera works fine, but it never copies 600+ photos in one sitting like the 512mb has to.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote