Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 28, 2005, 9:30 AM   #1

I recently got a 512MB card for my S2 IS, and so far no memory card errors- WHOOHOO.

BUT, when I want to download the images using the zoom brower or the camera, it downloads some images and then stops. Anyone else have this problem?

I havent yet tried to do it through my computer.

It is a SuperDigital card.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2005, 11:44 AM   #2

If you're using the USB cable directly attached to your camera, then try using a USB card reader which can be cheaply bought at
http://www.ecost.com

Otherwise, if you're using a card reader, try a direct cable.

The other solution I can offer is reformating the card, but you would lose the shots you have. Try formating the card using the built in camera format option or try reformating using your computer disk format tool.
moondaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:55 PM   #3

I have had a problem with several PC's when trying to download large amounts of data from a USB device like a camera. The operation seems to be going along fine, and then it stalls. I have not had the problem on my own PC's so far, so I have not been forced to troubleshoot it.

I keep a multi card reader in my camera bag, so when the problem has come up, it was when I was reading the card from a reader, and not from the camera itself. The workaround solution has always been to open the camera folder on the memory card, and copy ten or fifteen images at a time to the target folder. That "fix" has never failed to date. The only time I get the stalled situation on the affected PC's is if I try to copy too many images at once, or try to copy the entire camera folder to the target.

If you are using the S2 and it's USB cable as the card reader, try selecting ten photos at a time for transfer. If that works, you have the same trouble I had when using a generic card reader on some PC's, and the problem is not likely to be with the S2. Maybe someone more familiar with how USB storage interacts with a PC can point to the root of the problem. The problem has come up on PC's running both Windows, and Linux OS's on Intel PC's. So far, it has not happened on an AMD PC. Could it be BIOS or chipset related?

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:01 PM   #4

One more info bit for someone who may have the skill to sort out this problem. On the affected PC's, the same "stalling" situation occured when trying to transfer large amounts of data to or from a Lexar 2 gig USB pen drive. It works fine on other PC's.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 1:48 AM   #5

Had the same problem (Card Error) after using a 1 MB SD card.

Have seen many posts regarding this problem but no firm solution yet. Noted that formatting the card did not help. So I did not even tried. The shop, where the card was purchased gave me another card. The card error reappeared. Decided that no harm in trying to do the formatting - and it worked! I did a low level formatting and since then no problem....

Other issues that should be noted:

In the pink page which was enclosedwith the camera bundle - it was written that if you are using Windows XP or Mac OS X there is no need to install the canon softwae bundle (as we know...) but some problems can be expected and the solution is to use the Canon software.

Connecting the USB cable to the PC via Hub without power can cause problems. So the USB cable should be connected to the PC directily or to a powered USB Hub.

And...I had approached Canon support - they did not bother to reply.

It will be interesting and helpful to get comments from users with the same problem regarding what operating system they use on their PC. I have the feeling that it is common on the XP home eddition. (Tried it on XP Pro - no problem) and also to comment if they have also the MS update SP2. (I do not have).
Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 3:06 AM   #6

Heh heh. I'm gonna invalidate some of your theories.

I use an AMD with Win XP Pro ed. The cable is connected directly to my PC, not via a hub. (maybe I should try one of the back USB ports)

I have tried to copy the pictures via My Computer, and after a while I get a "A device attached to the system is not functioning" error. I have to turn the camera of and on again to start copying again. So far I have copied the most files before an error by using the camera's interface, and not Windows. The S2 has a button on the camera you can press to initiate copying.

Selecting 10 pictures at a time to copy is a bit cumbersome for 600+ photo's. So far I have started copying. When it stalls I select"copy new pictures", and it continues from where it left off. I have not tried on a different PC yet.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:19 AM   #7

Good by to my theories.... and thanks for your enlighteningcomments...

Did you install their software bundle ? as claimed by them, it should solve some problems.

However, it seems that the ball is at Canon yard - and we shall have to wait for their solution (when and if...).

Searching the web about this subject I had seen that other Canon camera ( I thinkthese were the SD100 and SD400) also had a similar bug and an update for the camera program was eventually developed and handed on their site.

So far... after low level formatting I have no problem.... but did not try yet to transfer 600 photos..
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:46 AM   #8

This was my problem when I connected to the front usb ports or used the computers own card readers using XP and what were label usb2 ports. I had already installed a 4 port usb 2 hub into the rear of the computer when I attached the camera to that all pictures downloaded at very high speed with no problems. Hope this helps.
petertess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 8:45 AM   #9

I did use the camera software first. After that I looked at alternatives. I think I'll try another computer tonight. Thanks for all the info.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:15 AM   #10

Updating....

Few days after did the low level formatting....

Most of the times I do not have the Card Error.... some times I have.... same conditions... I am still puzzled.....