Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 1, 2005, 9:13 AM   #1

Hi - my first time on these forums which by the way are excellent and persuaded me to invest in a S2is just 3 days ago.

I'm very impressed so far with the camera. So far I've only played around in auto mode and the quality of the shots when downloaded onto my PC have been stunning. I havent touched the many manual functions yet as I need to learn and grow into the camera as my knowledge increases.

One thing I seem to be struggling with so far is Macro shooting. I've done a few test shots in normal Macro mode which have been a little disappointing. For example when shooting a flower it has focused on the flower behind rather than the centre of the one I was aiming at, and I was using a mini tripod. I guess I've just got to experiment and eventually I'll get used to it.

There is also a super Macro mode which enables shots to be taken from zero distance to 10cm. The camera manual says that to activate super Macro I need to press the Macro button twice quickly in succession, and the symbol on screen will change from the normal Macro one to one with "S" in the middle. However every time I do that it just switches the normal macro on and off, with no sign of the super macro symbol. At first I was just doing this whilst in Auto mode and then realised that I should probably be in one of the other modes. However I've experimented a little and still cant seem to active super macro.

Have any other S2is users found the same and discovered the answer. I'm sure the problem is with me as an inexperienced user of this quality of camera, rather than with the camera itself.

Any ideas very welcome!

Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:59 AM   #2

I thinkthis threadprovidesinstructions on shooting in Super Macro mode:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15

Good luck andwelcome to the forums!
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3

Many thanks Dai! Isnt it incredible how a company like Canon can produce such superb cameras, and such rubbish manuals!

Now I can start practising with some Super Macro. Those bees in my garden had better watch out!

Greetings from Sunny Staffordshire

Old Aug 2, 2005, 4:27 AM   #4

Took a few test shots in the gardens last night using suoer macro on the mini tripod and got some stunning close ups of the centre of flowers etc.

Many thanks for your help. No thanks to the Canon manual!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Great to hear that it worked. Please continue to give updates on your experience with the S2 IS. It's on my short list to replace my A70. I wouldprefer the 20D but price will control this upgrade.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 6:33 PM   #6

Another owner of the S2is here - I also have had problems with the normal macro mode - unless I'm going blind, no-one's actually said how close this operates from, and what can be done to get the best from it?

I can see on the screen, a yellow line under the normal zoom - does this indicate a limit on how much zoom can be applied under macro mode?

I also have an A70, and the macro mode on that is straightforward and logical. I can't work out how the normal one on this new camera operates!

As for the manual... mine is in French, so I have no hope!

That said, the camera is awesome, and I'm very happy with it.

TIA.
Duck_Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:35 AM   #7

Hi Duckpond from just up the road!

I'm still working thru the S2is manual - trying to digest it during lunchbreaks at work. As far as I can gather, if you zoom into the yellow portion of the bar then the macro mode becomes ineffective, in fact I was under the impression that you have to be in wide angle mode for macro and super macro to work, but I stand to be corrected.

Strange you got a French manual. Maybe your local Jessops would give you an English one, or I believe you can download it from the Canon UK website.

Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:51 AM   #8

FAO Duck_Pond

I had a quick look at the manual during my lunchbreak. Normal Macro on the S2is is from 10cm out to 50cm (3.9 ins to 1ft 6ins). Super Macro should be used from 0-10cm.

The bar with the yellow portion on it shows you how far you can zoom in macro mode. If you go into the yellow portion then you can still press the shutter but macro will not operate.

Hope that helps

Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:52 AM   #9

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info - strange that they bother with the yellow line - why not just limit the zoom?

The manual is in French because the camera came from Pixmania, and they sourced it from there - was a bargain though, just need to brush up on my GCSE French, from all those years ago!

I seem to have got the "zoom" bug, as I'm already contemplating buying the telephoto add-on lens for the camera. I am surprised reviewers say that there's no need for the digital zoom - even on 48x times, with the stability control, pictures are amazing.

Shame I work out of town - I'd have loved to have had the chance to photo that tornado - it "developed" over where I live, then formed a few miles down the road.
Duck_Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:15 AM   #10

Thats great because I havent dabbled with the digital zoom yet as I thought the quality would just go down the pan.

I'll give it a try - hoping to head into the Shropshire hills this weekend so I'll try some long distance zooms into the Welsh mountains.

So much to learn on the S2is but its good to have forums like this so we can exchange experiences and ideas. I wouldnt have had a clue how to use Macro if I hadnt asked here.