Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:32 PM   #1

My goal is to use my S2IS to replace both my DV camcorder and older still camera. I've had it now for a week or so and I'm pleased with the quality of both the stills & video.

My final step in deciding if this is really for me was to take some video clips and try to edit them and author a DVD. Things get confusing really fast in the video world. "DV" quality AVI's are 720x480 29FPS and the Canon "VGA" AVI's are 640x470 30fps. My video editing software (Pinnacle Studio V8) doesn't work well with the clips from the Canon. The aspect ratio is off and itreports that I have a non standard FPS.

I've gleaned fom reading video posts on other sites that I may need to convert from the VGA AVI format to the DV avi format before I can do any real editing. Has anybody here actually gone through that? If so, I'm interested in any wisdom you can offer.

ldreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:25 PM   #2

Why are you using such poor commercial utilities. Go with the free Virtualdub. To work with it you have to install the equally free ffdshow codec first. I have a Powershot S1 IS and I would say that the movies from this camera are better than from most DV camcorders. However, I convert to DivX (with the XviD codec - also free). In 2006 there will be no new DVD player, which can't play DivX videos. Thus DivX, like mp3 some years ago, has become more or less a standard. Although I live in the PAL world (25 fps) my DVD players have no problems with [email protected] fps videos.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip on virtual dub. I understand you are PAL but do you know what settings I would need to convert from VGA MJPEG to DVI on NTSC? I downloaded it and I'm going to be honest that the hundredsof settings availableare a bit intimidating to work through.
ldreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:59 AM   #4

If the s2 videos are the same format as the s1 (and I have no reason to think they are any different), any good dvd authoring program like Pinnacle Studio,I use v9.3, will directly accept the MJPEG files from the s2 on the timeline of the program; you can then edit it freely (trim, divide etc), add sound and author the dvd; i must tell you that you will be very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the video (as I was, with the s1) even when viewed on large screen tvs (i have a rear projection 53" sony).

dont worry about the aspect ratioin the preview window or the warning about the non-standard frame rate in Pinnacle Studio;i have both of these problems with v9 but the final video on the dvd is perfect with regard to aspect ratio and frame rate
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote