Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 18, 2003, 5:13 PM   #1

Default s230, dark background

i am taking pictures in M2 resolution (1024 by 768) with compression set at superfine. i am taking indoor pictures usint the flash. the problem is that when i take a picture, the main subject looks really good, but the background is dark. can anyone help me on this? i dont know if i provides enough information, and if i didnt, tell me and i will repost. thx a lot in advance
StarsGlowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:35 AM   #2

This is a difficult post to respond to since the only information you have supplied has nothing to do with the problem, which is exposure. More useful information would be the camera model, and the mode being used, and any settings used if you are not in auto mode.

I can relate to the problem, however, since my first digital camera, a Ricoh RDC-5300, has a weak flash, and takes dark pictures indoors. To achieve a well lit background, I have to use the slow-syncro flash mode. The problem with this mode is it uses a slower shutter speed, and without a tripod, can produce blurry photos.

You may have other options, depending on the camera you are using.

Dan
Canon A40;Ricoh RDC-5300
Dan29944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 7:32 PM   #3

My apologies. I read the post, but forgot the subject where you do indeed mention the camera. Still like to know the mode and any other setings, though.

Dan
Old Jan 25, 2003, 3:58 PM   #4

i have it in manual mode and the only thing i changed was the flash to auto. that is it. thx.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 9:54 PM   #5

Well, I'm not sure why you would want to use manual mode for a simple snapshot. Usually manual mode is used for special situations, where other modes force settings that won't produce the desired effect. I use program mode for most shots, with auto white balance, auto ISO, and evaluative metering. The only adjustments I usually make are focus and flash modes. This has worked well for me, especially with indoor flash shots.

It's a shame other S230 owners haven't replied. I can only speak fom experiece with my A40.

Is there a particular reason for using manual mode in this situation?

Dan
Old Jan 29, 2003, 2:28 PM   #6

I only put it in manual mode so I can have more options with the flash. Thx a lot for responding!
Old Feb 1, 2003, 7:33 PM   #7

I have an S230 I just replaced my older elph S110 and am having problems as well with how my photos come out. I have it in automatic, with auto. flash, and superfine compression. My photos have not been coming out very clear and my photos taken outdoors in the dark have been awful. At this point I don't know what to adjust. I just wanted something simple to use but it seems my older elph took better shots. My photos have been coming out sort of blurry with a fuzzy tone. Guess I should go back to the manual but there is not much in there that helps.
samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:12 AM   #8

Default s230, dark background

I don't own an S230 but my images are the same on my Canon A40 especially outdoors in the dark. The flash will only cover a certain distance and won't light large open areas. On my Canon I have used the slow synch shutter instead, I think it sets the speed to .5 or maybe it's 1 sec and this lights up the area I want. I wouldn't wait until it gets completely dark to take my outdoor shots as it is suggested in photography magazines by the 'experts' to take pictures at dusk, when there is still some light in the sky. This will also help any auto focus system you are using to lock onto a building, person, tree etc. much more easily. Hope this has been of some help.

Rimbo
rimbo is offline   Reply With Quote