Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 8, 2005, 2:50 PM   #1

This is for those who have used the Canon Powershot S1 and the S2; I have the S1 and have been reasonably pleased with the pictures and video it takes

Does the focus assist lamp on the S2 reallywork? what is is its practical working distance?

Comparing pictures, it does look as tho' the S2 takes better pictures; whether it is due to more in-camera sharpening or a lens/sensor/processor (digic II?)combination which produces better resolution of detail I am unable to tell.

Does the S2 focus faster than the S1 in auto mode?
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:16 AM   #2

Yes the focus assist lamp on the S2is is excellent from my limited experience so far.

Re: Focusing, I've found it very quick. Its a little slower on full zoom, especially if you're on the 48x digital zoom as you have to be spot on and have a very steady hand or be using a tripod.

Pictures on the S2 are crystal clear sharp. The increase from 3.2 to 5mp must help as well.

I'm sure you wont regret upgrading to the S2. I've only had mine 2 weeks but I am very impressed so far. My only gripes (apart from the well publicised lens cap) are that the viewfinder isnt that good, especially in bright sunshine, and the menu button is in the wrong place and its easy to switch it on when composing a shot.

Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:39 PM   #3

Thanx shaun for your reply; currently 4 cameras interest me, the Panasonic FZ30, the Fuji s9000 and the Samsung Pro 815 other than the S2; i have already eliminated the FZ30 because of its bulk and the fact that it does not offer any feature which the S2 does not have (apart from the manual ficussing ring and the hot shoe, neither ofd which interest mr greatly); s9000 seems full of gimmicks, to say the least, has only 10x zoom and seems to offer higher iso (upto 1600!!); so the only camera vying for my money is the Samsung Pro 815, 15X zoom, monster of an lcd and 8 mp! any way I will wait till I see the reviews and user opinions on the other cameras but I must say I keep coming back to the S2!!!!

Thanx once again; enjoy your S2 (I am envious!!!!!) and post some more pictures
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:37 AM   #4

Cheers Samcheri. If I were you I'd go for the S2.

Ive put a couple of sample shots on the "Post your Photos" part of this site under wildlife.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 5:55 AM   #5

I love my S2, but if money was no object, I would wait for the reviews of one of the other cameras and then get one of those.

The wider angle of the Samsung would be great! The FZ 30 looks spectacular, and dont even get me started on iso 1600! The extra MP of the cameras is also great! I dont like using a flash that much, so the iso 1600 is REEEAAAALLLYY GREAT imo. But at what cost?

I have not used a camera w/o an af lamp, so I cant realy compare. Imo, it is still far from perfect. It works from about 2m to 4m in my experience. It may or may not work with distances closer or futher. If there is another rather bright light source, then it works good.

The S2 wont dissapoint, but there seems to be better, and more expensive cameras, on the way.

Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:06 AM   #6

The other cameras you list have some definite advantages over the Canon:

1) All three support an external flash (a real external hot shoe mount, not just a slave flash)

2) The Samsung and the Fuji have manually operated zooms which allows faster, more precise control. They also use a focus ring which makes manual focus easier.

The biggest plus for the Canon is the IS (I believe only the Panasonic offers that).

All of these cameras have excellent features, you need to decide which one best fits your photographic needs.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:30 PM   #7

I would love to see Canon include a hotshoe on the S3, but the truth is that the built in flash works fine for most casual situations, and the cheap "high power" slave does a great job in most other situations that might arise, as well as working perfectly with accessory lenses, or a lens hood attached to the S2. The IS system on the S2 is the best of the class (in my opinion), and the overal package seems to offer greater functionality and value than the competition at this point in time. Still, any of the top three or four offerings in the prosumer category are awesome cameras by any standard, and even if someone chose a Panasonic, Sony, or other brand because they like the sound of the name, they won't be sorry. I still like the S2 overall though .

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote