Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:08 AM   #1

Hi fellow Canoners!

Well I do browse the Panasonic forum quite a bit and was thinking of how much participation they have in showing pictures taken with their cameras. Well my little Samsung i5 is parked at warranty site because of a cracked LCD of which they would not replace, and happened to have my bro's little IXUS V3/SD230 "which is now out of production" handy and was walking around our garden. Tried out its macro function. Nothing great but not bad pictures. A little PP, crop on Photoshop but nothing really much alterations on them. Comments appreciated. The powershots/Ixus can be really powerful cameras.

Bloomed Red rose. A little old in age, but still nice colors on it.

A typical Thai Orchid. Not sure of scientific names so don't ask !

Hibiscus. National flower of Malaysia.

Don't know what flower this is. Happens to grow in our garden. Nice colors.

And finally a fully bloomed jasmine. These fellas smell really good! .. Popular here in Thailand.

arvind sachdev
chiang mai, thailand..
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2

Very nice shots. My S400 usually lives in my pocket with keys and coins on a daily basis for the same reason. It takes great shots, and cannot be rivaled by any better camera that I might have left at home when opportunity calls. Who would have ever thought that a pocket camera would have come this far back in the 70's?

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:05 PM   #3

Hi Voyager,

yeah for that reason, i went looking around for a ultra compact. I made a mistake buying the samsung i5. It is really a great camera but without quality to the casing. It really saddened me when a saw the lcd crack on the 4th day of having it. And happened cause it was in my pocket. Doesn't justify having a small camera if you gonna be afraid of *^%&^% it up. My biggest mistake is for not buying the SD400. It was a lot cheaper and solid as rock! and would have taken better pictures than the ones here with improved II processer.

I shall go for the Pana F20 as my other camera or the F30 if I could afford it. Not that the Canon IS2 is not a great cam. It is as well !....

So for you fellow people looking for great ultra compacts. Take a close look at the Powershot/Ixus range!. You wont regret it. Errr and the Pana FX-8, FX9 as well. (Just an honest opinion)

arvind sachdev
chiangmai, Thailand
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:46 PM   #4

Arvind,

My latest photo tool is the Canon S2, and it has a sturdy plastic body that works well with a camera that spends most of it's life hanging from a neck strap, or stuffed in a camera bag. It is light, and I proved (by accident) that it could take a three foot drop to Earth without suffering damage. I wouldn't change a thing about it's constuction, as it is both strong and light.

A pocket cam like my S400 is a different story though. It really spends most of it's time in my pocket, and suffers from the effects of humidity, heat, keys, and coins. There is a lot of tech stuffed into that small package, and it has never failed to please me whenever I called it to duty on the spur of the moment. It has limitations of speed, zoom and flash range, but within those bounds, it works like magic.

The stainless steel case, and the tight closing lens cover make the S400 and more recent cameras in it's class masters of the pants pocket environment. They can take a daily beating that would make a Timex watch green with envy, yet still look pretty good after a couple of years.

Even if my station in life ends up allowing me to buy the best digital camera on the market every six Months or so (not likely), I'll always keep a compact metal clad micro wonder in my pocket.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote