Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:08 AM   #1

I recieved my S2 IS last week and I have been like a kid on Christmas morning ever since. I have taken a few hundred shots , a bunch of movie clips andexperimented with the differnt settings.

My joy haswas tamped a bit when yesterday I realized that the flash function does not work. When I realized that it was not working I figured that I must have disabled it accidently. After reading the manual I found that if you press hold the "menu" button for 5 seconds, all of the camera functions would be returned to the default settings -- no luck.

I went so far as to removeall of the batteries and the tiny "day & date" battery , reasoning that thetiny battery may function the same way that a "CMOS" battery in a computer motherboard, i.e. hold some basic instructions for the bios in a nonmains dependent state-- again no luck !

I have performed a search to see if anybody else has encountered this problem and I can find nothing. I am hoping that someone can give me a tip or a pointer or tell me that I am a dope for overlooking something obvious before I have to ship this back to Canon for repair.

hagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

Not to sound like a jerk or anything, but you did manually lift up the flash, right?

It's not like the old S1 that pops up automatically.

As long as it's up it should just work.
ndtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:32 PM   #3

"As long as it's up it should just work."

:lol:

Sorry !

Yes , I have manually lifted the flash.

Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:43 AM   #4

Wondering if it is a flash problem or something with measuring which signals "no need" to the flash. Do you have the flashing red icon on the LCD when the light is poor ?

However, since your camera is so new - you should go back to the shop and let them find out what is wrong...
Rachel2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:45 AM   #5

Yes I get the red warning light. When I raise the flashhood and press the shutter release I get --- NOTHING !

I bought it from Dell via the internet. I am shipping it to Elk Grove Village , Illinois for repair.

Q. --How longshould I expect to wait for the repair ?